May 5th, 2009

Rubio throws his hat in for Senate 2010

(CNN) - Former Florida Republican House Speaker Marco Rubio announced Tuesday he will run for Senate in 2010.

In a video released on his campaign website Tuesday, the attorney from Miami declared his candidacy, maintaing his run for Mel Martinez's vacant Senate seat will not "be a campaign against anyone, nor will it be a campaign against anything."

"This is a campaign for the kind of ideas that will change our country for the better," Rubio says citing tax reform and a balanced budget amendment. "Let's be frank, neither Republicans nor Democrats have been able to control runaway government spending."

Florida Republican Gov. Charlie Crist is considering a bid, and Rep. Kendrick Meek and state Sen. Dan Gelber, both Democrats from the Miami-Dade area, have announced their candidacy. Rubio acknowledges the potential competition in his video.

"I know that there are people who are more famous than I who may enter this race and I know that the President of the United States himself will travel to Florida to campaign and raise money against me," the Florida lawyer says. "But nothing in life worth doing is easy and I believe that this is worth doing."

Florida Sen. Mel Martinez announced in December he will not seek reelection in 2010.

Filed under: Charlie Crist • Florida • Marco Rubio • Mel Martinez • Senate
  1. Jackie in Dallas

Well, it sounds like Florida's election will be another 3-ring circus. Will the Republicans eat their own again? With Crist considering running on the GOP ticket, I guess they need someone else to run against him. The question everyone is asking is...who will Rush support? Ha, what a joke.

Marco Rubio would do better creating a third-party - one that won't accept federal dollars after one of their hurricanes. That's one way to control runaway spending!

May 5, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. Minnesotan

Zzzzzz...... wake me when the Republicans are extinct.

May 5, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. I laugh at Limbaugh daily

Marco Rubio?Doesnt he drive the Limo for Rush Limbaugh,who lives in a castle nearby,while his followers live in trailer parks and still fly the Stars and Bars?

May 5, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. Frank, Las Vegas

It doesn't who the republicans run, the democrat will win, Florida has turned blue. I guess the GOP hasn't heard the news of 2008 yet. Floridians, like the rest of America is tired of the same old GOP tactics of hate, fear and lies.

May 5, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Candy West Virginia

NO more republicans ever!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't you guys ruined this country enough??

May 5, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. John in Ohio

If he has such problems with Republicans and Democrats, why is he running as a Republican?

May 5, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  7. E. Elliot

Unfortunately the GOP via the developers own this State. Martinez has been a gross failure, just as he was in earlier offices. We have a history of this. Look at McCollum, who lost us the Orlando Naval Training facility and then had the nerve to hold hearings to find out why it was closed. Look at Jeb Bus – who lost us 10% of the State pension fund investing it with family friends in Enron and the law only allows a maximum of 5% in any one investment, he is not in prison or required to repay the State. Remember Paula Squawkings? Rated the worst senator in congress. Florida legislature has a 70-40 advantage in GOP. I blame poor education and note that the GOP does not support public education. Why risk an educated electorate? I think Alex Sink might be able to beat the GOP for this slot, but there are no notable Dems on the horizon here.

May 5, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. I used to like CNN but not anymore!

This guy is just another "Dancing Puppet" for the GOP! Many more to come you can count on it! Can you say "flavor of the month"?

May 5, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. Ft. Lauderdale Resident

Now at least I know who I WON'T be voting for.

May 5, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. C

SOMEBODY THROW THE HAT BACK AND TELL HIM NO REPUBLICANS ALLOWED!

May 5, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |