May 6th, 2009

Limbaugh to Powell: 'Become a Democrat'

Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.
Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rush Limbaugh fired back at Colin Powell for his critical comments earlier this week, saying Wednesday that the former secretary of state should join the Democratic Party.

"What Colin Powell needs to do is close the loop and become a Democrat instead of claiming to be a Republican interested in reforming the Republican Party," Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday.

Limbaugh also took aim at Powell's decision to endorse President Obama over John McCain during the presidential election, repeating his earlier sentiment that Powell's move was "solely based on race."

"He's just mad at me because I'm the one person in the country who had the guts to explain his endorsement of Obama," Limbaugh said. "It was purely and solely based on race."

During a speech on Monday, Powell said the "the Republican Party is in deep trouble" and said the GOP would be better off without Limbaugh, according to a report by the National Journal.

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.

Earlier: Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election

Filed under: Colin Powell • Extra • Rush Limbaugh
  1. gbr

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without"

I couldn't agree more.

May 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. Bob- Levittown

Lets' see, Colin Powell, decorated soldier and Combat veteran who is not afraid to stand up and fight for his country and say what is on his mind. And the opposition, a liar, draft evader who could not walk a mile in Powell's boots banging his fat chest over false issues of race. Yes, if the Republican party takes Limbaugh's position over Powell, they are truly a party destined to end.

May 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. Mike from Vancouver BC

That's right Limbaugh, kick out all the moderates and you'll have exactly the party you want.

May 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. D.Reid

I agree. Colin should join the Democrats and leave the Republicans to the angry old White men. I'll never forget watching Colin's speech at the convention of 96'. He said the Republicans were the party of the future and then he was booed for being Pro-Choice and Pro-Affirmative Action. Colin get with the winning team.

May 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. cecilia

i should not even take the time to write this because you are a waste of my time
    Rush – you are not worthy to even shine the shoes of Colin Powell
    you are not in the same league
    go away please

May 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. G

Rush is off base. Powell, McCain, Spector, Bloomberg, Romney are all at least 51% republicans and should be welcomed into the party. It is the only way that the party can succeed. They make it a better party. None of us are 100% in agreement. I would vote for any of these 5 individuals before I'd vote for an ultra conservative or an ultraliberal.

Maybe we do need a middle party that has the economic policies of the Republicans but with more of the social interests of the Democrats.

May 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. steveparsons

How can anyone listen to and believe his hate and call themselves an AMERICAN?

May 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. Steve C. - Atlanta, GA

I am LOVING how Limbaugh is only concerned about himself and his ratings while he is dragging what is left of the GOP through the mud and continuing to help make it a devisive party instead of a unfied one. He and Palin are exactly what is causing Republicans to become Independents and in some cases Democrats.

May 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Steve in KY

Why isn't Limbaugh on the banned from England list as well ?????

May 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  10. truth is liberal sort of

Powell has never had a backbone. period.

May 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  11. Emma

Limbaugh is an anachronism. Why does any thinking person listen to this blow hard?

May 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. they did

The repubs did run a middle of the road in 2008...and they lost. Why should they try that again? They ran a very conservative in '80 and '84 and blew the dems away.

May 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Susan

How can any insane person like, admire or respect anything Rush Limbaugh has to say?? I just don't understand it.

I don't think Colin Powell's decision to endorse Obama was based on race. I think it was based on the fact the the republican party is a bunch of racist, devisive, hateful human beings.... I'm white! I can say that. I considered myself a republican my whole life until recently. I can not call myself a republican or a democrat. Neither party stands for the morals and values I have, but one thing is for sure, Rush Limbaugh doesn't represent much of anything I agree with and it's people like him, Sean Hannity, and Ann Coulter that keep me running FAR away...... They dish out divisive Hate Speech and nothing more...

May 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Neiki

Mr. Powell I could not agree with you more. The RNC is rapidly becoming extinct & there top spokespersons are Limbaugh & Palin. God help the RNC. What a joke. Where are the solid, conservative republicans? Where is ANY voice for the RNC that isn't blatently racist? Come one, wake up before it's too late!!!!

May 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Barbara

All I can do is call Big Mouth Rush a big fat pig. Colin Powell did NOT endorse Obama because of his skin color. He endorsed Obama because he was and is the best person for the job. It was not up to General Powell about Iraq. It was Iraq's neighbors who called us off. And if the GOP continues to listen to Fat Man, the more egg they will have on their faces.

May 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. Oliveoyl

Shame on you Limbaugh...your not following the Republican's "Eleventh Commandment"...if you can't say anything nice about a Fellow-Republican, don't say anything at all!

"Conservatives 4 Palin" blasted Mitt Romney for his comment that he could understand TIME Magazine including Palin in the top 100 beautiful, but not influential...referencing this 2002 EXCLUSIVE REPUBLICAN COMMANDMENT!

Do your homework!

May 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. BKrause

One can only pray that Limbaugh's voice never dies and that it keeps dividing and impairing the GOP to the extent it has...especially over the past 6 months. Poor thing just doesn't get the damage he's doing. What is astonishing is that folks still buy into this horsy manure even though it's been exposed for the sham it is.

May 6, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. John Johnson

And there you have it. These "entertainers" are really the people that get the base misinformed and up-in-arms. Without these "entertainers" there would be nobody following the party. Without the entire right-wing radio spectrum and Fox News, you wouldn't have misinformed folks following the GOP. How else can you lead the bigots and the racists and the ignorant if not for entertainment, however ill-informed? The GOP moderates like to believe that the masses that follow them have similar values, but they're not, they're the being followed by people who think Obama has followed a crazy Christian preacher named Wright for 20+ years, but is simultaneously a Muslim to the core and wasn't even born in the US. Colin Powell should jump ship, alright. The GOP doesn't learn from its mistakes and will only get more right-wing and crazy.

May 6, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. Samuel B.

It's very unfortunate that the Republicans have let this loud mouthed buffoon define who they are and what a "good Republican" should be. You know things are bad when Michael Steele, the chair of the RNC, cowers at the very mention of his name and apolgoizes for remarks he should not have had to apologize for.

As for Colin Powell, I have to say I agree with his remarks. And if he wants to take Limbaugh up on his challenge and become a Democrat, we'd welcome him with open arms. The GOP's loss would be the country's gain.

May 6, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. Jim Howell

Colin Powell is an honorable man whose opinions I respect. Rush, on the other hand, has a knack for making people think about hate while chuckling. Just can't find any respect in that.

May 6, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Tony83702

Just keep jabbering away, Rush. You're digging yourself deeper and deeper in a hole, only you're using your mouth instead of a shovel.

May 6, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Royster

So...Rush's HIDDEN Messages:

-Rush himself supports politicians solely based on RACE.
    -Like Joe McCarthy, Rush has a list of 220 closet-Democrats who have infiltrated the Republican party
    -Only Rush knows who should really leave the GOP and join the Dems
    -Rush is no good at dialogue.....you only get to listen and either agree or not, Rush does not listen to anyone else's opinion but Rush's

What a place America is....where a two-bit loudmouth ex-painkiller addict "talk show" host wields more power than the chairman of the GOP......perhaps this really illustrates how far the GOP has fallen when Rush is their apologist!

Please CNN....get another picture! This pic of Rush with the flag behind him (like HE represents America??) makes me sick! This man is NOT America!! This man is NOT my conscience. This man is NOT an expert.

May 6, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. srichey

As an independent, I sometimes think that Rush Limbaugh is secretly working for the Democrats. His "Joe McCarthy Lite" approach to conservatism keeps scaring me away from listening to anything the GOP has to say.

May 6, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. Liz in Texas

Let's see, one is a decorated soldier who served his country versus a thrice divorced drug addict who hasn't done jack for his country except drive a wedge through it.

May 6, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. P Alfonso

I am no Rush follower but have to admit that whether you like him or not, we all know what he stands for. On the other hand Collin Powell has betrayed the conservative values that he once stood for in favor of an agenda that will destroy our country. I once thought of him as a patriot but know he is no more than a Liberal Progressive.

May 6, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |