May 6th, 2009

Limbaugh to Powell: 'Become a Democrat'

Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.
Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rush Limbaugh fired back at Colin Powell for his critical comments earlier this week, saying Wednesday that the former secretary of state should join the Democratic Party.

"What Colin Powell needs to do is close the loop and become a Democrat instead of claiming to be a Republican interested in reforming the Republican Party," Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday.

Limbaugh also took aim at Powell's decision to endorse President Obama over John McCain during the presidential election, repeating his earlier sentiment that Powell's move was "solely based on race."

During a speech on Monday, Powell said the "the Republican Party is in deep trouble" and said the GOP would be better off without Limbaugh, according to a report by the National Journal.

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.

Earlier: Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election

Filed under: Colin Powell • Extra • Rush Limbaugh
  1. anonymous

Limbaugh is a disruptive force, as a "white" republican I am insulted to hear comments that one of the true american patriots (Powell) voted based on race. By the way I voted for Obama as well, nothing to do with race just the best person for the job.

May 6, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Dan

As a Democrat I love seeing things like this. We as a party have are not using some grand strategy to defeat the GOP, the Republicans are doing it to themselves. It is sad however that a great man like Colin Powell had to be viciously attacked like this. However, if Limbaugh does not like what you are doing then you must be doing something right.

May 6, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. P Alfonso

The Democrats don't have to worry about the Republicans for they are one. What both parties need to focus on is that there is a Revolution coming that will form a third Party. Republicans, Democrats, Independents and Libertarians will form a majority out discontent from our corrupt political leaders that have neglected the people for their own gains. Look out for July 4th!

May 6, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Tom Paine

It isn't conservatives that are killing the GOP....it's psuedo Republicans like Powell.

Powell demands that the GOP go centrist – which they did when they nominated Mr. Independent John McCain for president. So, then Powell supports Obama anyway!

It's a waste of time for the GOP to listen to a guy like Powell whose only interest in the GOP is for future paid speaking engagements.

May 6, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Rick

Colin Powell is an Uncle Tom of the democrat party. He pretends to be conservative but acts and talks like a liberal. I hope he quits pretending and ex-Specter-ates himself from the republican party soon. I like Rush speaking for me, and hope he continues to do so.

May 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. donna

I'm sure Colin isn't really worried about what Rush has to say...he isn't afraid of the windbag that is Rush's mouth...the only folks that care are the close minded followers of his...and apparently CNN......

May 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. bk

You all know Rush is right about this one. Admit it. The fact that he's black was the first thought that went through your minds when Colin Powell made the announcement.

May 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Jackson

great pic of rush he looks evil. if you ask me Colin Powell has served his country with great distinction and would be a welcome addition to the democratic party.

May 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. debbie

I would be pleased and proud to have General Powell in the Democratic party.

May 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. Stan

I love it! Go Rush! Every time you open your mouth you put more votes in the Democratic pile. Keep talking!! Watch more red states turn blue!!

May 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. spike

I'm a lifelong republican, through thick and thin. Rush is a clown.

May 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Larry in Omaha

A Republican party led by Powell, Snowe, Collins, Schwarzenegger, Specter, McCain, Crist, Kassebaum and the sort would be unbeatable. Fiscally conservative, socially progressive. It's what America needs and America increasingly wants.

But Rush won't let them.

May 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Libertarian

Powell is RIGHT. Limp-baugh is an ENTERTAINER people. He serves only to increase his ratings so he can afford more prescription drugs and Mexican hookers.

It's laughable that such a man could still have followers. Oh wait...I mean "dittoheads". Ironically they call the rest of us "sheep". LOL!!!

May 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Marc in Virginia

Much props to the General's service to this country, but if you people think Powell endorsed NObama because he was ready to lead or for change or for whatever garbage he made up, then I have some swampland in Florida to sell you.

May 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Bob

Pretty soon the GOP ain't going to be much of party. Just a couple white guys who've drunk all the punch.

May 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Stu-Florida

IF I wrote how I truly feel about Limbaugh CNN wouldn't post it. Hustler Magazine probably would.
    I'll take a Powel over a Limbaugh any time!

May 6, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. kay

As we say in the South when someone is just pitiful,"Bless his little old heart". It's a polite way of saying, the person is an idiot,slightly deranged,not operating on all his/her cylinders and is not the brightest bulb on the light string.

May 6, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Shawn

My dad is a old white guy and lifelong Republican who voted for Obama. There are millions of such people. Clearly, it's all about race for Rush Limbaugh and he has to target the black guy.

May 6, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. mick

Powell went against his party.
    So please leave for real and stop having it both ways Colin.
    Rush has his right to say what he wants, like it or not.
    But at least you know where Rush stands. Colin needs to make the change and fight Rush and the GOP for real, if in fact that's what he wants to do in his heart.

May 6, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  20. michaelam

What is wrong with this guy? Every day he has a new person to target. Not only is this man a narcissist, he is scary paranoid. It amazes me how he flips or spins every situation to make it about HIM. "He's just mad at me because I'm the one person in the country who had the guts to explain his endorsement of Obama," Limbaugh said. "It was purely and solely based on race." Yeah, that’s it El Rushbo; you are right………again. Narcissist!

Get over yourself, dude! And to the people who listen to this gas bag, please research the following words: brainwashing and cult. That is just to name ONLY a few.

Personally, I like Colin Powell, and believe he is a good man that the Bush administration took advantage of and exploited. If you do decide to jump ship to the sane side, Gen. Powell, the Democrats (the REAL big tent) would welcome you! To he$$ with El Rushbo!

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. I can see Canada from my house!

As I recall, Rush got canned from ESPN for suggesting that Donovan Mcnabb would not garner any attention if he were white. Now, as much as I would love to chalk this up to him being on whatever prescription drug he may currently be abusing, I think its just that Powell has what Limbaugh really wants:

Credibility.

Limbaugh will never be anything more than an arrogant, overpaid, jealous blowhard who cannot handle the idea of a black man telling the truth about the institution Ruch helped to destroy.

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. Marie

Wait RUSH:

Did you not vote for McCain soley on the issue of race???

What a bigot!!!

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. Patty

Limbaugh is the Republican Party's own worst enemy. As long as he talks the circular firing squad will continue.

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. TWetz

YOU GO RUSH! You are absolutely, positively one of the BEST things my party has going for it right now. . . (oh, BTW, I'm a democrat)

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. Stephen in MN

The only one here making any decisions based solely upon race is Limbaugh. Colin Powell is a decorated four-star general who also served his country as Secretary of State. He is intelligent, well thought, and understands that the things that he says actually mean something.

Limbaugh's list of professional "accomplishments" pales to Powell's. Nor does Limbaugh boast any record civil service. (For the record: Donating money does not count as service in my book.) So really, on what foundation does he have to stand on?

If it were anyone other than Limbaugh saying these things I would consider this shockingly irresponsible. But this is just Rush being Rush.

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |