May 6th, 2009

Limbaugh to Powell: 'Become a Democrat'

Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.
Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rush Limbaugh fired back at Colin Powell for his critical comments earlier this week, saying Wednesday that the former secretary of state should join the Democratic Party.

"What Colin Powell needs to do is close the loop and become a Democrat instead of claiming to be a Republican interested in reforming the Republican Party," Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday.

Limbaugh also took aim at Powell's decision to endorse President Obama over John McCain during the presidential election, repeating his earlier sentiment that Powell's move was "solely based on race."

"He's just mad at me because I'm the one person in the country who had the guts to explain his endorsement of Obama," Limbaugh said. "It was purely and solely based on race."

During a speech on Monday, Powell said the "the Republican Party is in deep trouble" and said the GOP would be better off without Limbaugh, according to a report by the National Journal.

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.

Earlier: Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election

Filed under: Colin Powell • Extra • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Larry Schluet

The hatrid of the comments goes a long way to explain many of the problems with the current administration. Please give some examples of where Limbaugh is wrong . . . I assume some of you have some intelligence to list actual facts . . .

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. Rush is a jerk but got it right on Colin Powell

Rush is a jerk and I cannot stand him, but he is right about COlin Powel – COlin played the race care and abandoned the GOP. Powell should not be allowed to call himself a Republican – he is both a racist and a turncoat soldier

May 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Dan

Yes Mr. Powell, please switch to the Democratic Party. The GOP doesn't like or need your kind: People of conscience, people who actually think before they speak and/or act, people who consider the implications of their actions on others, those people are not welcome there. I hope you learned your lesson when Bush/Cheney used you to advance their false pretenses for war in Iraq.

May 6, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. wolfgang Halbig

I cannot and will not ever forgive Coilin Powell the man I trusted as a general in selling the iRaq War at the UNited Nations

He knows what he did on that day, it was not Bush. The people in this country trusted Colin Powell.

How in the world to you say those things when you know they are a lie and cause thousand of youn American Soldiers lives.

He was the salesman on that day and look were we are today. Now they Iraq are telling us to get out by JUne. Thanks Colin Powell for this crap and I glad you voted for OBama because you are now seeling this crap again. IT is about color and about change.

You have funds thatcauses you no worries, but how about those that are going to be in debt till they die. Thanks Colin Powell for this crap.

You may have retired as a General but you don' deserve the respect of that position based soley on your lie.

May God forgive you

May 6, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. Not Rush

I wish I could go forward about 40 years so I could see what just how big of a joke Limbaugh will become. He just gets better and better every year.

May 6, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Minnie

Curious that Rush sees himself as having "guts," since he has made himself famous by telling the fearful, angry, and ignorant EXACTLY what they want to hear.

May 6, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. Tom Paine

Rush is right.

Powell, Specter and the media – and the ultra lefty posters on here – do not have the GOP's best interests at heart anyway. Why listen to them?

May 6, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Rob R

Those who are threatened the most....scream the loudest...time is running out for the ditto heads and their self-inflated god.

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Tal Hearst

Rush Limbaugh represents Rush Limbaugh. He has always been the center of controversy. Colin Powell should become a democrap because he drank the "change" koolaid..

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Kevin in San Diego

Limbuagh "needs to close the loop" and become a member of the facist party, and stop tranishing what little shine is left on the once great party of Ron Regan.

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. Dan

This is downright crossing the line! No one in the right mind would accuse a former 4-star general and chairman of the joint chiefs on race. I watched Powell's endorsement of Obama back in October on NBC's Meet the Press, and it had nothing to do with that! It's good to know that some Republicans still use the spongy-like material between their ears, unlike some other people...

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  12. jpetz

Eventually the GOP leadership is going to have to deal with Limbaugh one way or another. If they embrace him, then purity is the goal, even if it means being a permanent regional (Southern) party. But if they are wise and reject him, then moderates have a voice and the party may one day return to prominence. As Lincoln once said, "a house divided against itself cannot stand".

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. Positive in Charlotte, NC

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without."

Very well put, Mr. Powell.

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. Mike

The more attention this guy makes for himself, the more money he makes. Can we just please ignore him?

May 6, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Kaye -Jacksonville FL

That's good Rush – just keep pushing those moderate conservatives out of the GOP...please, keep it up.... whether they move to Independent or Democrat, they'll be so disgusted with the GOP you'll lose them forever. Then you can get out the vote for your extremist candidates – and that 25% of the electorate that still claims the Republican moniker, they'll wave their teabags, talk their trash – and you'll keep losing seats in Congress and the Governorships... we LOVE you Rush – you're the best thing that ever happened to moderate voters.

May 6, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. D. Sangiovanni

I think that Limbaugh does a great job to the GOP keeping them down.. Thumps up Limbaugh!! . Keep doing what you do , that will help young people decide what to do when they vote.

May 6, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  17. SPJ

The truth hurts!! Go Rushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

May 6, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Walsh

Rush is right. If Powell is a true conservative voting Obama over McCain was solely based on race. But does that surprise anyone?

May 6, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. David

Powell believes that because he is in the middle of the raod and leans to the left on most things. He wants the GOP to be there. Historically, however, the GOP fails when it is there. It only succeeds when they adopt strong conservative values; fiscal repsonsiblity, less government, strong defense. When the GOP does this and focuses on these things, they win. Powell is a moderate Democrat and should go over to them.

May 6, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Kelby In Houston, TX

I would say something insulting about Rush, the de facto leader of the GOP and the GOP in general. However, it has become clear to me, that to insult the GOP is similar to making fun of a handicapped child. It's just not funny

May 6, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Bill Mangan

While I do sincerely respect Mr. Powell, and his right to offer his opinions on the state of the Republican party, I do believe that politically he IS more aligned with the Democrats than the Republicans. Isn't it interesting all the concern by the "left" about the state of the GOP, and how it needs to be more moderate and inclusive? Is it possible that they do in fact realize that the GOP gets more energized as it moves to the right, and therefore more dangerous to them?

May 6, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Dutch.Bad Newz, VA

No Rush!!! If the general is a republican he should stay a republican. He said he voted for the President simply because he actually had an agenda on what to do with the economy and McCain did not. Get your facts right Rush. If anything, Gen. Powell should be the leader of the Republican Party. I'm almost 100% certain that his views are not the same of the extreme right-wing.

May 6, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. Tubby The Tuba

That's OK by me, cause there are lots of haters of Obama simply because of his(skin color) race. People can be shallow, don't think Colin Powell is as I think he was very clear as to why he voted for Obama, but then Limbaugh is such a true jerk! Limbaugh was bad mouthing John McCain just the other day. See what I mean?!

May 6, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. Sandra - Illinois

When will the Republican Party realize that it is losing loyal Republicans from the ranting and raving of comments by Rush Limbaugh and others who spew hate and strife. I have the utmost respect for Colin Powell and would have voted for him as President in a heart beat. He doesn't just throw out rants at the drop of a hat about anyone who happens to disagree with him.

Everytime I read about another one of Rush Limbaugh's rants, I want to legally change my party affiliation. I no longer even wish to admit I was ever a Republican. I vote my convictions and they do not coincide with this party.

May 6, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Willard Smith

I have been a registered Republican since I turned 18. Even though I was a big McCain supporter for years, his age and his selection of Palin pushed me into the Obama camp. I believe that Gen. Powell voted for the best man. I am saddened that Rush's strident brand of in-your-face conservatism has the influence it does. Lest we forget, he is an entertainer. Controversy is his bread and butter.

May 6, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |