May 6th, 2009

Limbaugh to Powell: 'Become a Democrat'

Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.
Limbaugh took aim at Powell's comments about the GOP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rush Limbaugh fired back at Colin Powell for his critical comments earlier this week, saying Wednesday that the former secretary of state should join the Democratic Party.

"What Colin Powell needs to do is close the loop and become a Democrat instead of claiming to be a Republican interested in reforming the Republican Party," Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday.

Limbaugh also took aim at Powell's decision to endorse President Obama over John McCain during the presidential election, repeating his earlier sentiment that Powell's move was "solely based on race."

"He's just mad at me because I'm the one person in the country who had the guts to explain his endorsement of Obama," Limbaugh said. "It was purely and solely based on race."

During a speech on Monday, Powell said the "the Republican Party is in deep trouble" and said the GOP would be better off without Limbaugh, according to a report by the National Journal.

"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.

Earlier: Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election

Filed under: Colin Powell • Extra • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Tommy

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I think Rush Limbaugh should be the spokesperson for the republican party forever, at least over the next few election cycles. The republican party NEEDS Rush Limbaugh. Really...

Signed
    A gleeful democrat

May 6, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. Leiv

I am a republican that voted for Obama. I think this is a lot like a dictator wanting to single out conservative view points and call it his own party. What happened to platforms. If you want a conservative republican party go out and form your own party and call it something else. Nobody will ever see eye to eye on exactly every issue within party.

May 6, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. Jordan

I lost all respect for Powell and Mr. Limbaugh is right on this one!

Endorsing and now supporting a guy who shows no respect for our national anthem, a guy who has had a long history of involvement with radical individuals, who has made fun of a hard-working average American, simply because he dared to ask a valid question, a guy who is totally unqualified to lead the most powerful country in the world and who’s not able to give a speech at a Sunday barbecue without reading from a screen.
    I have to agree, Powell made his decision purely based on race.

May 6, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. gpb

At least Rush is making statements and stands for something; flip flopping on issues and saying "we can try to look at [insert program of choice here]" to win votes is not in the best interests of this country. Spending our way out economic turmoil is the exact reason behind our current credit crunch. No one wants to hear the words fiscal responsibility, because it purchases the Toyota Camry instead of the Cadillac Escalade, it purchases DiGiorno Pizza for home instead of Fillet Mignon at Ruth-Chris, it purchases shoes from DSW and not BCBG on Michigan Avenue. Key word: responsibility!!!!!!

May 6, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. Professor

While I don't agree with Rush Limbaugh most of the time, I find that I agree with Colin Powell even less! Limbaugh is right: Colin Powell is embarassing, and all of us would be better off if he would leave the Republican party and join the Democrats.

While I respect the Office of President of the United States, I certainly do not think that Barack Obama is qualified to serve as President. In fact, Obama has proven that he is not competent by his lackluster support of the National Day of Prayer and by his disgusting support of abortion in this country.

Nevertheless, we Christians must pray for Barack Obama, and we must respect his position. I will continue to pray for all our government leaders, and for all the very confused people who will read what I have written and disagree with me.

May 6, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. AJ inPhilly

Everyone is telling Rush to get lost, but since he has the Number #1 radio talk show in the USA, he isn't going nowhere. The question is what does that say about Americans and our mindstate?

May 6, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. Steve L New Jersey

Rush is a sad man who is very good a deflecting his own short comings onto other people. Rush is after all just talk and no action, like a barking dog that just annoys the hell out of everyone who happens to just be walking by. Take a chill pill old boy.

May 6, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. dh

Powell is such a class act. I haven't always agreed with him but he is a loyal American who has done nothing but serve his country with integrity. I also believe that his centrist views are very much aligned with a big chunk of U.S. voters. I agree with those here who say let Limbaugh go after Powell. It just shows how shallow, shrill, disconnected and intellectually bankrupt conservatives are.

May 6, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. RLF

Gee, let's see... Powell or Limbaugh.... who is more credible..?

May 6, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Brett Getter

Rush Limbaugh should be kissing the hand of heroes like Colin Powell. It is disturbing that people that do not have the nerve to serve the country should be so quick to throw stones.

Gen. Powell has earned the right to speak his mond. All Rush has done is oxy-cotton and complain.

I am astounded that anyone would listen to him (Rush Limbaugh) pontificate in the first place. He is obviously angry with life in general and is simply a sad man.

Brett Getter
    New Jersey

May 6, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Ron in Bethlehem, PA

Rush is very instrumental in actually defining the Republican Party. He helps to give it it's substance in the world. Having said that, he's not doing the party any favors and never has. I for one would gladly welcome Colin Powell into the Democratic Party. What a difference in substance from Rush !!!

May 6, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. John, Chicago

To the people who claim Oh Rush he's just a sideshow and most republicans actually think he's a joke. Having said that just about every republican even moderates won't dare critcize Fat Boy because
    he'll just trash them to all his red neck bible thumping listeners.

Kudos to a Moderate Republican like Powell to put Hush Limpaugh
    in his place. You know people like Cantor, Romney, and others wouldn't dare criticize the Republican Czar Fat boy has become to them. Look What happened when steele said some things about him.
    I think it took about 2 seconds to cower up to the Mighty Fat head.

Thanks General Powell for saying what needed to be said just hope you don't back down

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. Beth

I swear...you could not pay me enough money to say I was a Republican! With the likes of Rush and Sarah spewing their hate...no thanks.

Proud Democrat...forever and always!!

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  14. Chas in Iowa

I departed from the GOP in 2004 for my own reasons.
    I now look at the GOP as a political party that is being held hostage by the neo-con right wing religious nuts.
    At some point the GOP will rise again as a seperate party from what it is today and leave the remnants of the old GOP to the neo-cons.
    Then the old rich white guys can sit around and talk to each other about the good old days and let the rest of the country get on with it.

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. Isabelle from Washington State

It's obvious that Powell enjoys being kicked around by the Republican Party. Anyone with half a brain would have jumped ship a long time ago. Powell's legacy will reflect a limp noodle who has no guts.

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  16. Derrick

If the Republican party plans on having a successful future, I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that someone staple Limbaugh's mouth shut quickly!

He is ruining the Republican party everytime he opens his mouth!

The more he talks, the stronger the Democratic party becomes.

Keep talking Limbaugh. You just help us out more!!! =)

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. Moderate Libertarian

One post says "Maybe we do need a middle party that has the economic policies of the Republicans but with more of the social interests of the Democrats."

We do. it's called the Libertarian Party and has been in existence since 1971. It is socially inclusive and fiscally conservative. The Libertarian Party advocates for fewer taxes, smaller government, a free market economy, personal liberty and minding our business overseas whenever possible.

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. vt

Rush has as much right to his opinions as the next person. While he's hardly qualified to carry General Powell's jock strap, Rush is nonetheless entitled and more than capable to share his opinions.

May 6, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. Anthony

yes, Please do!!!!!!!

May 6, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. Joe Sith

I want to thank Rush, from the bottom of my heart, for his tireless efforts to single-handedly destroy the Republican party.

My hat's off to you, Rush.

May 6, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Mike - Portland

Go Rush Go !!!!! You are doing a fantastic job of single handedly destroying what is remaining of the Republican party. I guess he doesn't want to let Sarah Palin have all the credit!

May 6, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Dee

You go Rush!! Freedom of Speech is not one-sided. powell just doesn't like to be held accountable.

May 6, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Dave

Ever notice how everybody Limbaugh hates is someone who's actually done something in service of this country? Powell is a general, served in the military. Limbaugh has never done ONE THING for this country. He's never done anything for anyone but himself, and the way he lines his pockets is by setting American against American, trying to make people suspicious and hateful of their own fellow countrymen. Why anyone listens to him is beyond me. Rush should be ashamed of himself... but I think he's too sociopathic to feel things like shame.

Oh well, I hope he keeps talking... he'll destroy what's left of the Republican party, and since they don't seem to know how to lead, that could be a good thing.

May 6, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Phil of Licking Co, Ohio

Rush Limbaugh does more for the progressive cause than any liberal. I admit, I listen to him and enjoy all the outlandish things he says. His logic is so crazy, that sometimes I laugh out loud. Some of my colleges hear him on my computer and ask, "what the hell are you listening to." I laugh and say, "he keeps my blood pressure elevated." I hope he continues to spout his hate for liberals and now moderates because that will insure the Republican party will not make a quick resurgence.

May 6, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. Michael

Wow, this just gets better and better. Forget all the supposed "re-branding" the GOP is trying to do. They'd be in much better shape if they'd find a way to shut Limbaugh up. All he does is alienate everybody and make the party seem even more whacked-out than usual.

On second thought... maybe he should keep it up. That should keep the far right from ever regaining control of the United States.

May 6, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |