May 6th, 2009

Specter: I 'misspoke' on Coleman

The Pennsylvania senator said he 'misspoke' in an interview with the New York Times Tuesday when he voiced his support for GOP Sen. Norm Coleman.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Arlen Specter's recent switch from Republican to Democrat appears to have caused him some confusion over party loyalty.

The Pennsylvania senator said he "misspoke" in an interview with the New York Times Tuesday when he voiced his support for GOP Sen. Norm Coleman, who is locked in a recount battle with Democratic challenger Al Franken in Minnesota.

"In the swirl of moving from one caucus to another, I have to get used to my new teammates," Specter told CQ Politics. "I'm ordinarily pretty correct in what I say. I've made a career of being precise. I conclusively misspoke."

Questioned about who he's supporting in elections Specter responded, "I'm looking for Democratic members. Nothing personal."

Specter's comments came after an interview with the Times in which the Pennsylvania senator declared he is rooting for a Coleman win in the hotly-contested Senate race. "There is still time for the Minnesota court to do justice and declare Norm Coleman the winner," he told the magazine.

1. ALAN FROM PA.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE PUT SPECTER OUT TO PASTURE,PLEASE!!!!

May 6, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Frieda, MN

So all that talk about Coleman in the past was a lie. Okay, I get it.

May 6, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Ellie, MD

Specter is still delusional about which party he's affiliated with. That's not surprising.

May 6, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  4. Jason Miller

I thought the job of a Senator was to look out for the best interests of the people of the State from which they were elected. Guess I was mistaken, and their jobs are to look out for number 1 and perform number 2 on the people.

May 6, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Oliveoyl

I say RETIRE ANY AND ALL Democrat or Republican at age 62, 64 or 66; depending on the Social Security guidelines!

ENOUGH of these OLD FARTS playing political BS! Aren't there more important issues at hand!?

Better yet...TERM LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. Rick

Geez, what a weasel.

May 6, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Kathy S. Cloughn

Why don't you convince Coleman to give it up?

May 6, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  8. tek

The simple truth of it all is he couldn't give two damns who wins the Coleman – Franken seat. To utter on about justice being done, then saying you misspoke because you didn't know who is on your team is another example of bipartisan politics. Our elected officials have absolutely no character whatsoever. It wasn't a misspeak of saying the wrong name on accident. It was him choosing a person before realizing whether or not they were a "D" or an "R". It's absolutely disgusting.

May 6, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Phillip M Johnson

What a knucklehead,
    Does anybody think this guy has any integrity? If we didn't need him to make us filibuster proof, I'd say we should throw him out of our party. Then he'd just run as an Independent and vote with his old Fascist buddies. Best thing to do is sit on him and watch his every move. Like the old saying, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

May 6, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Oliveoyl

If the truth was known, he is being PLANTED by his Republican cronies as a secret agent, and to hopefully get re-elected in 2010!

I wouldn't put ANYTHING past the thugs!

May 6, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. jean

Specter is a disgrace plain and simple. The man has no scruples – well he is a politician afterall so I guess that would explain it.

May 6, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. ray ray

LOL... yes.. THIS is the guy Obama fully supports!

Just goes to show how poor Obama's judgement really is:

Bill Ayers
    Rev Wright
    Tony Rezko
    Father Pfleger
    .... add Arlene Specter!

May 6, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Glennis

He seems to be disintegrating before our very eyes. He can't seem to get a handle of what he believes.

May 6, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. MaryanneAZ

Senator Specter now compounds disloyalty with dishonesty. It's too bad a political party cannot reject a registration change. The Dems do not have to reward a faux Dem with seniority and juicy committee assignments. Why do these guys hang on long past retirement age?

May 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. John

And thus Specter makes yet another stand for truth... until he changes his mind or misspeaks... again. If he were truly concerned about his party loyalties, maybe he should have tried something different, after all he was a Democrat, then swapped sides to the Republicans, now he is back to the Democrats... he should do the Lieberman, and go Independent, just for CHANGE.

May 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. Ken

I love to hear these sore-LOSER [R]s come on here and bad-mouth Spector. It just goes to show what utter delusion and hypocrisy it takes to be a true-believing wing-nut these days.

I especially like the whining about term limits and about "buying" senate seats. Where was all this cry for term limits when [R]s were in charge of the senate — and Specter is buying a senate seat? Man, they breeched the skulls of you neo-morons when they branded the word S_T_U_P_I_D on your foreheads.

For all you self-styled "strict constructionists", the constitution takes care of term limits through the process called "voting". Ever heard of it? I know the [R] party is not to keen on that "voting" thing right now, but is just hilarious how these so-called conservatives get their panties in a bunch, and turn into a swarm of reactionary insects.

May 6, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |