May 7th, 2009

First lady hangs out with Elmo

(CNN) - What's the highlight of Mrs. Obama's time in the White House? Hanging out with Elmo, of course.

The first lady stopped by Sesame Street Tuesday, chatting with the furry red monster and making a public service announcement along the way.

"If you want your child to have healthy habits, practice healthy habits too because you're your child's best role model," Michelle Obama advocated in her appearance for Sesame Workshop's Healthy Habits for Life Initiative.

The First Lady told employees at the United Nations in New York Tuesday that it's probably the best thing she's done so far since she and her husband moved into the executive mansion. Mrs. Obama appears to be emerging as a champion of healthy exercise and eating habits, taking up her platform by planting an organic kitchen garden on the White House grounds.

Former first ladies Barbara and Laura Bush also dropped by Sesame Street set during their husbands' terms in office, advocating children's literacy by reading kids' books to Big Bird.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. KING

Didn't Laura Bush kill her boyfriend back in high school? And you think she's a good role model?

May 7, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  2. Some Guy

Howard wrote: Barbara and Laura Bush were advocates for literacy in a nation where 99% of all adults and children can read. Big whoop!

Seriously? 99%? I don't know where you get your stats from. Do a google search on "literacy rate in the United States" and report back to us what you have learned.

Sorry, I'm a "liberal" but also a big Laura Bush fan. Laura is cool. Too bad she married a weasel. Have a nice day!

May 7, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Paco

"Well, we know she likes puppets."

Indeed. Some of Michelle Obama's best friends are Re-puppet-cans

May 7, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Laura Bush was an advocate of Literacy because her husband was an Idiot, fool and Illiterate.

Michelle Obama is an advocate of Health eating, because we all know Barack likes to eat junk food once in a while.

Thats sums it up.

May 7, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. Paul

you bitter bitter republicans. First you whine about socialism, then you complain about the obamas being capitalistic when the first lady buys a nice pair of shoes. Then, you claim the president is a fascist tyrannical dictator ... who's apologetic and an appeaser? You guys are so mired in blind hate and bitter at losing you can't even see the blatant stupidity of what you're complaining about. I'm sure the 21% of you that admit to being a republican will all have a blast tonight when hannity and limbaugh spends the evening excoriating the first lady for being on sesame street.

May 7, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

You can't help but to admire First Lady Michelle Obama who is a highly educated scholar and she steps right in line at every level. She's got to love what she does and I love her for all that she does.

May 7, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Gary S.C.

The previous First Lady hung out with Bozo.

May 7, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. Obama is playing us for dummies

Mrs Obama your husband should add Elmo to his administration. He could not be as stupid or reckless as what you have in the oval office right now taking this country to the toilet

May 7, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. Lisa

We all really need to be careful ever saying to people "if you don't like it leave the country" . People said that to me when I criticized Bush 's POLICIES and I replied, I'd rather stay and try to change the country! Well it has changed now and the people who don't like Obama's policies are entitled to criticize as well.

However I agree with others – what's to complain about here? Did she lie about WMD, start a war, torture someone? C'mon people, at least choose something important – tax policy or whatever.

May 7, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. had enough yet?

I am not inclined accept any lecturing from the Liberals on any negative posts towards the current President, his administration, or his wife. You have all raisee the bar so high over during the previous administration with the most vile, demeaning, and hateful attacks on all Republicans (of which I was one of the roughly 60 million who voted for McCain) that I have no choice other than to respond in kind over the hopefully no more than four years that Obama is in office.

May 7, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. bob j

she is a great first lady and it shows she really cares for people wow what a breath of fresh air

May 7, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Willy

I heard that elmo votes republican.

May 7, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Tomkat

Poor, poor Republicans. It's going to be at least 16 long years before you fools get another chance at the White House. I doubt that your party will last that long. You're out of gas and there is heavy smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I laugh at your demise and that you think that you can shove your religious poison down America's throat? The last laugh is on you. Hehehahahoho!!!

May 7, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Wonderful!

I am so excited to have a great First lady that is as classy as this one She is such a great role model for all mothers. I am so glad that she is addressing the obesity issue. The reason so many of our children are obese is because of the eating habits of their parents or care givers. I am a teacher and I see children that are diabetic and have high blood pressure problems. It is a disgrace what our nation has become when it comes to health issues. Thank you Mrs. Obama!!!!!

May 7, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Gris-gris

Sesame Street is better than GOP Street because it's realer.

May 7, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  16. Jake

1/20/2013.... cant come soon enough

May 7, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  17. 30m-PUMA for McCain

The Obama's are some role models. Barack pals around with terrorists and Michelle wears $540 sneakers at a food bank.

May 7, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  18. Royster

Wow.....looks like some jealous people here were not allowed to watch Elmo as a child!

ANY first lady who works for children is to be commended...from BOTH parties.......can't we all have ONE little thing we all agree on?? Why do the GOP hate-mongers even bash THIS? I did not like Bush, but I commend his wife for the work she did with children...and I resist the urge to end this with a jab.

May 7, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. donkeycrap blues

Is this the lady who said she wasn't proud of America, you all must have broomed that under the rug..........

May 7, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  20. arithmetic is liberal

Just a quick question...

Are all the bitter people here angry at Michelle,

Or are they angry at THEMSELVES because they know they model terrible health habits for thier children?

I can understand getting offended if you idea of exercising with your kids constitutes strategically balancing a bag of Funions on your chest as you park yourself in front of the boob tube to watch a bunch of pituitary cases run up and down a court, then yell at the kid to get you a beer.

The childishness of the posts here ragging on Michelle are fairly telling of the psychology of the people doing it.

May 7, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Stefanie, Texas

I guess the Republicans would rather have Rush Limbaugh go on Sesame Street and tell kids how to eat everything in their refrigerator and pop pills all day. I

May 7, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Paraisia

She is simply the best! Awesome Michelle, just awesome :-)

May 7, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. afw

I can't believe the hatefulness here... I think Michelle Obama is a terrific first lady. I thought Laura Bush was a good first lady too, though I thought her husband was an abysmally bad president. Honestly, why are you people so angry and bitter? I hated George Bush's actions and policies, but I never had a problem with his wife or his children. I feel bad for those of you who are so consumed with hatred that the only thing you can do is get it out with nasty, vitriolic anonymous comments.

May 7, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. The Other Michael in Houston

Do we really need to know every single thing the the First Lady does. Geez, I am a supporter of President and Michelle Obama but this is starting to get nerve racking.

May 7, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |