May 7th, 2009

First lady hangs out with Elmo

(CNN) - What's the highlight of Mrs. Obama's time in the White House? Hanging out with Elmo, of course.

The first lady stopped by Sesame Street Tuesday, chatting with the furry red monster and making a public service announcement along the way.

"If you want your child to have healthy habits, practice healthy habits too because you're your child's best role model," Michelle Obama advocated in her appearance for Sesame Workshop's Healthy Habits for Life Initiative.

The First Lady told employees at the United Nations in New York Tuesday that it's probably the best thing she's done so far since she and her husband moved into the executive mansion. Mrs. Obama appears to be emerging as a champion of healthy exercise and eating habits, taking up her platform by planting an organic kitchen garden on the White House grounds.

Former first ladies Barbara and Laura Bush also dropped by Sesame Street set during their husbands' terms in office, advocating children's literacy by reading kids' books to Big Bird.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. RNC = DNC = politics as usual

"Barbara and Laura Bush also dropped by Sesame Street set during their husbands' terms in office"

I would bet money that a number of Obama fans will be claiming this is yet another "first" for the Glorious One's administration.

Better get the Ministry of Truth to alter history accordingly......

May 7, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. TRUTH

M Obama can do a lot for children, this is great, please stick to it

May 7, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Michelle is awesome. I wonder if her and Oprah were in cahoots with the KFC free meal. Michelle is sending a eat healthy message and that KFC "grilled/roasted" chicken might have been part of the plan. Just a theory.

May 7, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. shucks

The rebukes don't even need to comment on this. Michelle Obama has been an exemplary First Lady. I never saw young people and children so exuberant and even brought to tears by the presence of any First Lady, including Jackie O. She is loved the world over, and an inspiration for millions. She will be the new mold from which all future First Ladies will be judged. We are extremely proud of her and hope to see far more of her over the next eight years. I find it truly regretable that in her own country she is chastised for every move she makes by the republicans who gave us Laura (stretched too tight) Bush, and Nancy (get my astologist) Reagan, and Barbara (did nothing but look matronly) Bush. What a group of do nothing First Ladies.

May 7, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  5. Mississippi Mike

Aha! So that's where Obama gets advice on who to appoint to his cabinet, Muppets!

Well, I guess hanging out with talking puppets can't be much different than watching Obama march to the orders of his radical overlords.

May 7, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  6. Senor Arche

I love our First Lady.
    She's such an inspiration. :) Someone I definitely look up to.

May 7, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Sniffit

Cute.

It's really too bad the GOPers have never seen a party they don't want to poop.

May 7, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. Tulsa

Can't wait to see how all those "christians" out there are going to fault her for this.
    What a miserable bunch of whiners the Republican party has become.
    You keep on doing what you're doing Mrs. Obama. We the People are with you and the President.

May 7, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. MD

Great human interest story. Excellent images for our children and grand children to see. All of the First Ladies are to be commended for their work with Americas youth...

May 7, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. Some Guy

Next week on Sesame Street: Rush Limbaugh hangs with Oscar the Grouch. This post was brought to you by the letter H. As in have a nice day!

May 7, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  11. Shirley In California

I only wish I could have seen it. This is a wonderful thing. Spin your hatred if you must but I appreciate her work with kids.

May 7, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  12. Stephanie

Well, we know she likes puppets.

May 7, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  13. Tis Tis People

This made me smile :)

May 7, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  14. Lara

Sara Parker mentions in her article that former first ladies have done it. Don't worry no need for the Ministry of Truth. Mrs. Obama is doing a great job. She makes a great FRIST LADY and she is a great Mother!

May 7, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  15. SKYLAR

This story will definitely send up the GOP'S blood pressure!

May 7, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  16. ben

I think I want to marry her. Just kidding. She's too young for me.

May 7, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  17. Concerned for our Country

RNC = DNC = politics as usual May 7th, 2009 12:01 pm ET WROTE:

Better get the Ministry of Truth to alter history accordingly……
    ___________________________________________________

Why would this post bring such sarcasm from you? This is something Mrs. Obama is doing from children and we still have to read such sarcastic post. People get over your hatred or move to another country already!

May 7, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Imarriedmycousin in TheOleSouth

Its refreshing to have a First Lady that isnt a Stepford wife.She doing a great service to the Nation.

May 7, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. Alfred E. Neumann

Wow, I wonder if Elmo had any advice on paying down the debt.

Maybe Elmo could advise the president on health care issues.

I have it – Elmo could work for CNN & replace Wolf Blitzer.

May 7, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  20. Doug, New Jersey

Elmo is red, I'm sure that after reading Michelle's Princeton thesis he must feel very uncomfortable being around someone who hates him based on the color of his fur.

May 7, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  21. Concerned for our Country

RNC = DNC = politics as usual May 7th, 2009 12:01 pm ET wrote:

Better get the Ministry of Truth to alter history accordingly……
    _____________________________________________________
    Why would a post about Mrs Obama talking to children bring such sarcasm. Can't you let it go. This is something she is doing for children. Give it a rest!

May 7, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. Loren

I thought the Obamas only pal around with terrorists???

May 7, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  23. et

Will Elmo reverse the Bloomberg / MTA fare increase !?

May 7, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  24. Chamorrita, MD

I LOVE our First Family. They are so ahead of the game. They are moving the White House into the 21st Century with such grace and style. The next generation has a great role model to mimmick for years to come.

May 7, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Erlinda

She is a wonderful example for all of us. Every time I see an Obama, I want to stand straighter, walk a little taller and smile. They are just nice, smart people who are serving their country, and setting an example for ALL of us to follow.

May 7, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |