May 7th, 2009

First lady hangs out with Elmo

(CNN) - What's the highlight of Mrs. Obama's time in the White House? Hanging out with Elmo, of course.

The first lady stopped by Sesame Street Tuesday, chatting with the furry red monster and making a public service announcement along the way.

"If you want your child to have healthy habits, practice healthy habits too because you're your child's best role model," Michelle Obama advocated in her appearance for Sesame Workshop's Healthy Habits for Life Initiative.

The First Lady told employees at the United Nations in New York Tuesday that it's probably the best thing she's done so far since she and her husband moved into the executive mansion. Mrs. Obama appears to be emerging as a champion of healthy exercise and eating habits, taking up her platform by planting an organic kitchen garden on the White House grounds.

Former first ladies Barbara and Laura Bush also dropped by Sesame Street set during their husbands' terms in office, advocating children's literacy by reading kids' books to Big Bird.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. pam Eugene OR

I just love this woman. She is the perfect First Lady. I will bet that Barack got in big trouble with her for his cheeseburger. No wonder he had to sneak out for it.
    God bless America and our fantastic first family.

May 7, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Romney2012

@ STEVE -

you're on the mark; liberals live and breath only by direction of the MSM...that's why so many were misinformed and voted for Obama. His irresponsible spending will all have us living on a Sesame St in a trash can.....

May 7, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. JoeCool

Did she wear her $540 tennis shoes?

May 7, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. Ryan Indianapolis

Thats where she belongs.....That woman is about as arrogant as they come. The obamas make the Bush's look not so bad in retrospect.

May 7, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. Eric

Wow, a fluff article about the first lady, and the Rethugicans can't even play nice on this article! I cannot remember one single bad thing said about Mrs Bush (either of them for that matter). Is it really news, not really, I tend to avoid such articles, but wanted to check in to confirm nastiness what's left of the Republican base. Seriously do you expect to get back the moderates acting like this; or has something in your collective warped minds just snapped? Nothing more than school yard bullying, I'd tell you to grow up, but I don't think it would help

May 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  6. carlos

Stephanie...........they are muppets......furthermore..it takes one to know one, do you live with a puppet??

May 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  7. SynCityNJ

Anyone who is cool with Elmo is alright with me!!

May 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  8. Randy

As I read other these tired, vitriolic posts, it occurs to me that our country will NEVER progress as long as there are those of you that stay mired in the soup that is "my side or die" partisan politics. Seriously, people, it's an article about the First Lady appearing on Seasame Street. How is that anything but a positive? And when it was Barbara Bush or Laura Bush, it wasn't any less positive. Stop spewing out your mindless hatred at every article. There's no real reason for it, and you all sound like a bunch of whiny kids on a playground. This is product of idiots like Limbaugh, Hannity, and Franken. I hope you are all happy...bunch of hateful losers.

May 7, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. The Voice of Reason

Raise your hand if you are an American!!

All right, now all of you who are citizens of this great country–let's vow right now to END the bitterness which is doing nothing but pulling us all down!

We want to teach our kids to eat right, and respect our fellow man–don't we?

Then, can we just start to act MORE GROWN UP and STOP THE CONSTANT criticizing. I'm talking about both sides (I hate to use that word) now! Can't we just stop and think first! The best thing I can think of to say is the GOLDEN RULE: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"

This sums it all up! We ALL want the best for American–can't we discuss this in a civilized manner. We don't all agree–but we can at least listen to each others views, calmly let our political leadership KNOW our views, then ACT LIKE ADULTS should act. Whether we are one political party or the other, or an independent party, surely we can do better than an uneducated country!! We can give our views without all this hate!!

God IS watching!

May 7, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. Abby

Childhood obesity is a huge problem in this country, particularity inner cities where parents pick up fast food on the way home from a long day at work to feed kids who sit infront of TVs. I’m glad the First Lady is bringing this to the forefront so that we as a community can think of solutions together- whether its community farmers markets, healthier fast-food restaurants or after school play time for exercise, something’s got to be done.

May 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. A. Goodwin

Rethuglicans: Why get down on the Obama's for not PUBLICALLY praying? Perhaps they decided to pray on their own, in priviate, with their own family. You don't have to be in a crowded room in front of the public eye to pray.

Christians...stop the banter. The Obama's have more class, more humility, and more to give the the American public than with our warmonger president Bush! Not every topic has to be a reflection of one's faith.

May 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. walleye

I am sure Laura Bush was a wonderful role model also. She just didnt have a personality to express it with.

May 7, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. Imarriedmysister in Alabama

The First Lady is doing a great service for children of all ages.Poor Dougie in Wenonah never got to watch Seseme Street.Maybe he lived on high street.

May 7, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. carlo

This is a ticker about Sesame Street and children's health, yet some of you are so filled with hatred you had to come HERE to bash them. You need more than a National Prayer Day. Perhaps the Obamas do like we should all do-pray for ourselves and stop using Jesus like he's some kind of patriotic religious mascot for us when its convenient.

May 7, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. frank tx

she gets om my nerves ,really.

May 7, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. walleye

Parents need to get involved with their Kids. Dont leave it up to the TV to raise them. As a father, I would sit in bed next to my kids each night and read to them for a 1/2 hour before they went to sleep. They are both in their 30's now and well adjusted members of society who never gave me or Mom any trouble.

May 7, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. M. O.

After reading these comments mostly I am sorry I inhabit the earth with all the mean spirited, hateful people on here. Does wearing expensive sneakers take away from doing good? When our popular athletes go do their charitable works, do they go out and buy cheap sneakers? Do they walk and not drive their Bentley? That they are giving back is the key, not how they spend their own money. How do her politics, or her husband's politics, take away from doing something good, simple and aimed at helping all kids learn good habits. How can this world be filled with such hate? Makes me sad.

May 7, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. obama/mama

RNC = DNC = politics as usual May 7th, 2009 12:01 pm ET

"Barbara and Laura Bush also dropped by Sesame Street set during their husbands' terms in office"

I would bet money that a number of Obama fans will be claiming this is yet another "first" for the Glorious One's administration.

Better get the Ministry of Truth to alter history accordingly……
    _________________________________________________

Well it's a shame their visit apparently was not a memorable one because I don't remember it.

May 7, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Doesn't anyone find that something is wrong when people blatantly hate this woman that they don't even know? I get that people are going to criticize the President, an elected official, either because of race, personal dislike or for the few intelligent Republicans, over actual ideological differences. But I don't understand the hatred towards the first lady other than it being the typical societal disdain that all Black women have to endure. I think it is excellent for her to promote healthy eating habits, no one is claiming that she is the "first" to do it but there is nothing wrong with celebrating what someone does that is good...anyone...not just the first lady.

May 7, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. Mike- Kansas City MO

Bitter, party of ??-(Steve, Givemeabreak, help-help, and probably some others).

I think it is great the Mrs. Obama had a great time on Sesame Street.
    She is a great woman, and I happy for her to get this opportunity!

May 7, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. Jason

I cannot believe people are finding fault with this psa. The First Lady is an incredible role model for all us!
    A few things though; its great how conservatives keep bringing up that today is National Prayer Day and the Obamas are not acknowleding this. Ours is a nation that celebrates freedom of religion and a constitution that outlines a seperation of church and state. Whether the President and First Lady choose to participate in national, public prayer is their choice.
    On a side note, earlier when CNN reported on the Obama girls getting a new play fort at the White House, conservatives went ape poo over it. Don't say you have never bad mouthed this family, I call b.s. on you.

May 7, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  22. yuri

Hi MO- Do whatever you can to enthral and entertain the adorin' crowds for an excitingly good cause. You go girl!

May 7, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

I can't believe the negativity of many of the comments here. Michelle Obama is an active First Lady and active in the right areas.

So, all you naysayers, if you're so doggone better than MIchelle, post here what YOU personally have done to improve the nation.

Put up or shut up!

May 7, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. Diane

Could we please have one story on CNN that does not call forth hatred on anyone's part. No hatred for Michelle, or Barbara Bush, or Laura Bush or Hillary or Barack or George W. Just positive and nothing else. This seems like it would have been the perfect story for no hatred. I guess we have all hated for so long that we can't let the hatred go. Sad.

May 7, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Abby

If one can find something negative about a sesame street appearance to promote healthy eating, one is negative indeed.

May 7, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |