May 7th, 2009

Ridge not running for Senate

Former Pennsylvania Gov. and Bush Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge announced Thursday that he will not run for Senate in 2010.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – After much speculation, former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge announced Thursday that he would not run for the Senate in 2010.

Ridge, a centrist Republican, had been courted by some elders in his party to seek the GOP nomination after Sen. Arlen Specter switched his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat.

"I am enormously grateful for the confidence my party expressed in me, the encouragement and kindness of my fellow citizens in Pennsylvania and the valuable counsel I received from so many of my party colleagues," Ridge said in a statement. "The 2010 race has significant implications for my party, and that required thoughtful reflection. All of the above made my decision a difficult and deeply personal conclusion to reach."

Ridge said he will continue to stay involved in politics and added that he will help the GOP "craft solutions that both sides of the aisle can embrace."

"To those who believe that the Republican Party is facing challenges, they are right," Ridge said. "To those who believe the Democratic Party is without its own difficulties, they are wrong. No one party has a monopoly on all of the answers. The more important view, in my mind, is that we remember, whether Republican or Democrat, we are foremost Americans. And as Americans, we have always overcome challenges when we put partisanship aside and solutions first."

Filed under: Arlen Specter • Pennsylvania • Senate • Tom Ridge
  1. P

True, Bush made it bad for everybody. I'm not a Republican, but the damage he has done will take a long time to repair. Palin just prolonged it a little bit longer....

May 7, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. Matthew in Oregon

So... the Republicans want another moderate Republican to replace Specter? For what? So they can alienate and drive him away, too?

May 7, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. big papa

GREAT!

May 7, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Richard Michael

Sounds like a conscious and well-thought out decision. The GOP could use some more of that.

May 7, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Heidi

I actually have a lot of respect for Tom Ridge and I'm a Dem. He's a moderate so he'll probably run later when it's okay to not vote lockstep with the GOP.

Looks like PA will get Specter again, unless the Dems pull their heads out and run Sestak.

May 7, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. Jesse

SCORE!!!

If Tom Ridge ran he would destroy whatever democrat opponent he faced. This is great news moving forward for Democrats!

May 7, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. Sparky

Ridge isn't running bcause he can't win the Republican primary anymore than Specter could. Most registered Republicans in Pennsylvania are either religious zealots, wingnuts with guns, or both..

May 7, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Douglas Ford

He is a good guy, it is sad the Republican party are losing some key centrists.

May 7, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. Adam IN Jersey

Joe Sestak will wipe the floor with Specter. Run Joe RUN.

May 7, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. Mark

Pity. He would have made a good one.

May 7, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. Kofi, Chicago

Yes go Sestak for the senate is waiting for you.

May 7, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Bushworld

Sestak has the name Bush attached to him.

May 7, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. Dan

Tom Ridge is a quality politician and human being. He's bipartisan and even as someone who disagreed strongly with the Bush administration, I would support Ridge in a run for the Senate. If only he cared more about personal ambition than the people of PA...but I think there's already one senator who fits that bill...

May 7, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |