May 8th, 2009

Name 'Barack' soars in popularity, government says

The president's first name showed a dramatic leap in popularity from 2007 to 2008, according to the Social Security Administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Then-Sen. Barack Obama's name may have been everywhere during the presidential campaign, but it did not make the top 1000 most popular picks for babies. Still, it gained popularity.

During 2008, the new president's first name ranked 2,409th on the Social Security Administration's annual list of the most popular baby names. That's a jump of more than 10,000 spots from the name's previous ranking in the 12,535th spot during 2007.

"President Obama's popularity peaks among Americans under the age of 30, who are, in turn, most likely to be having babies," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Full story

For more information about the Social Security Administration's annual rankings that were released Friday, click here.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Barama Suks

Give me a break! Who gives a crap what morons are naming their babies. I named my monkey Barack does that count? Well, at least it fits!!!

May 8, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Simmy

*************************************************************************
    Observe how long "comments" featuring President Obama are allowed to stay open for bashers........The article featuring FVP Cheney, allowed only 4 'questionable' comments. This implies that someone, who is Republican in the Ticker Pool, is programming blog comments to favor Republicans.....If I'm wrong, prove it.....
    ***************************************************************************
    Joanna,
    Among the many sick responses on this blog, yours stikes me as the sickest......The name Barack, means blessed.....President Obama truly lives up to his name.....Sasha and Malia are young innocent young ladies......To attack them makes you sound disjointed and lost...You are a lost peice of the puzzle that is called Republican party.....Hope you find yourself soon...

May 8, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. Helen

Joanna,

Barack, Sasha, Malia – I bet you are one of those Evangelicals (I have nothing against the ones who are true believers) who attends church every Sunday but is just a hypocritical b-ch. Aren't we all God's children regardless of our color, nationality, religion. SHAME ON YOU!!

May 8, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. Shaun

"DJ in the Silicon Forest" Quit whining 3/4s of my post never make it up & I fully support Obama!

May 8, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Herbie

Barama Suks: Your comment is nothing but down right nasty, If you can't say anything good then don't say anything at all. You really ought to take a look in the mirror before you comment.
    CNN-Don't be afraid to put this comment up, if you can put nasty hateful comments up then you surely leave my response...........
    People like Barama should not be allowed to leave comments such as the one you allowed.

May 8, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. Kelby In Houston, TX

Why do conservatives hate liberals so much? I swear, I don't hate conservatives. I have conservative friends, republican friends. Why do you say liberals hate America? Don't you know the definition and characteristics of a the liberal. We love and believe in The People. We are populists.

May 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  7. Suzi

Who cares if the kool aide drinkers what to name their offspring after him....who cares? I mean really who cares?
    We'll all see how it all turns out in about 4 years from now if we're lucky, 8 if we're not....but at least he'll disappear into history one way or another . Unfortunately, these poor kids are stuck with this name for the rest of their lives

May 8, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  8. John

to those who refer to him as anoyher Adolph...you are sick. I'm sure if your country would be invaded , you would look at him with a different perspective..would you not......

May 8, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  9. cj

I'm a conservative Republican and I can't stand what Pres Obama is currently doing. THAT being said. Fair is fair. I can understand how some folks (particularly african americans) would be proud to name their children after him. I think it is honorable. Again, I don't care a little for his policies, but he is a positive role model for many. I'm a conservative who always gave him that... Too bad feminists couldn't do the same for Palin

May 8, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  10. Gerda Edwards

Scott/KC May 8th, 2009 5:20 pm ET "you ppl are sad…what exactly has he done yet besides read a telepropter really well? Can someone name a big accomplishment that shows he deserves all this praise?"
    ===============================
    Are you clueless??

He's opening the crown on the Statue of Liberty, he's gotten a dog for the girls, and he became Chavez's prop to sell an anti-US book. That's plenty in 100+ days.

May 8, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. elliott

How terrible!! It's not even an American name......Muslim I'd say.....

May 8, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. Ricardo, Barbados

ha hahahahahaaaaaaaaa, and you Americans make fun of Latin America, Caribbean and Asia. Have you noticed how our standard of living, infra structure, education etc is moving ahead of the grand old US of A. may be its because we don't nit-pick over non-issues like you do. Oh yeah and the (green) electric power you use on the eastern seaboard is produced by a Portuguese owned company, like so many things your consumerist culture have a great appetite for.

May 8, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  13. Jordan

Who cares

May 8, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  14. Timmy

Free speech aside, there are so many people calling Obama the worst president ever. That is quite a description given that the oldest among us have only , at most, had one third of the presidents as their president. Either way, "Quit yer b!tch!n." Come up with some constructive ideas and post those.

May 8, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |