May 8th, 2009

Name 'Barack' soars in popularity, government says

The president's first name showed a dramatic leap in popularity from 2007 to 2008, according to the Social Security Administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Then-Sen. Barack Obama's name may have been everywhere during the presidential campaign, but it did not make the top 1000 most popular picks for babies. Still, it gained popularity.

During 2008, the new president's first name ranked 2,409th on the Social Security Administration's annual list of the most popular baby names. That's a jump of more than 10,000 spots from the name's previous ranking in the 12,535th spot during 2007.

"President Obama's popularity peaks among Americans under the age of 30, who are, in turn, most likely to be having babies," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Full story

For more information about the Social Security Administration's annual rankings that were released Friday, click here.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Reg

It's amazing when people post that President Obama is "the worst President in history" yet have no proof to back it up. Especially since the economy is growing stronger, the stock market has stablized and people are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel, no thanks to bush policies.

May 8, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Steve H.

The Republicans are naming their babies "Rush" so they'll grow up to be loud mouth drug addicts. Hooray for them!

May 8, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Ridgeway

I'll bet you Obama lovers a year's pay. Oops, I don't have it you've already gotten it in your "stimulus" check. OK let's make it my chance to ever play in the NBA that the baby in the picture isn't named Barack against your chances of looking for a job.

May 8, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  4. Fungus Dingleberry

I wish I had a cool name like Hussein or Obama. Oh well, at least I'm not named Jason.

May 8, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Steve

Hey Ted, stay in Canada and mind your own business.

May 8, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. tee

KC
    you wish, sorry its not going to happen.

May 8, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. chad

IT'S A NAME! Who cares. The idea of living in a FREE country is that people have a right to name their children anything they want within reason...Barrack qualifies. Funny how those small government, right wing conservatives sure have a lot of thoughts about how other people should run their lives. I thought you guys are all about personal freedom? Put your money were your mouth is.

May 8, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  8. tee

The best President America has ever had.

May 8, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Denise

I am not surprised. I'm sure Michelle, Malia and Sasha moved up, too

May 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. Raw B

I resent that Leslie comment about 60% of below 30 year's old don't pay income taxes, I know a lot of 40, 50, 60 year olds who are lazy and never wanted to work. Get disability for a back injury that's probably from their fat gut. You got to remember to be nice to people younger then you, we decide what nursing home you go into.....

I've worked 2 jobs for 10 years, went to college, and played baseball on my only day off, Sunday. Now I work for children's protective services and put in 54 to 60 hour work weeks. I'm only 29....

May 8, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  11. Jersey Girl

That really is the sweetest photo.

May 8, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Retired Army in San Antonio

Chi Town - May 8th, 2009 11:42 am ET

I would have thought Barry would be more popular

==========================================================

Well 'Chi Town'......since that staement comes from a person who doesn't think much......I can see why!

May 8, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. tee

Liberalism is a sickness

May 8, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. BigDogg

Kinda like naming your child Adolf during the 1930's...you know how well that turned out. Now what if Obama turns out to be a dismal president...he's well on his way.

May 8, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  15. Joe

My child will be Barack too. So, count me in....

May 8, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. Baracktavious

Actually, Hussein as a name is older than Islam, just as Hebrew names like Schmuel/Samuel are older than Christianity. And if your name is Smedley, Filbert, Burrwick, or Spitzer, how American is that? Children are actually being named Jayden after Britney's spawn – now there's something to worry about! Gives me the cold Willies just thinking about it.

May 8, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. EJ

Bush wasn't likeable? I seem to recall a time (right after 9/11 – remember) when his approval rating was in the 70's. By the way, that's higher that BO started out with on his first day and it has declined every day since then. It's always amazing to me how short some people's memories are.

May 8, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. Jersey Girl

Un-American? He's the President of the US- how much more American can you get?

May 8, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. rob

Great President.

May 8, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  20. Stephanie

@ Fair is Fair: "And "Osama" became a very popular name in the Middle East after 9/11. You're in great company, Mr. President."

Stats, please? Otherwise, you're just talking out of your @ss.

I'd love to name my future son Barack. I think it would go well with a daughter named Kasia. :)

May 8, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. Runningdarkwolf

Elliot is a great name. by the way how is E.T. these days, Eeeeelliiot. Glass houses baby boy, glasse houses.

May 8, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  22. Dee, NJ

I'm 50 yr old, The President and the First Lady have my vote forever!

May 8, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. Matt

Well said Lori!! I couldn't agree with you more!

May 8, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Retired Army in San Antonio

Ed, Detroit, Mich. May 8th, 2009 12:30 pm ET

If Barrack actually convert from Islam to Christianity, doesn't it seem like he would have gone back to Barry?

==========================================================

It might ........if he had ever been Muslim, that is.

And if he ever was Muslim.......so what?

May 8, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. RJ in NYC

Laving out any commentary on the president himself..... naming your child after a politician,, celebrity, sports star etc. is just plain pathetic. The fact that this totally uncommon name spike up the list by over 10,000 spots proves just how pathetic people really are. This sad infatuation is disturbing. A name like Hillary or George is common so you really can look at those, but if people started naming their kid Arlin or Barack (which are totally uncommon names....until now) or Newt or Rush (again uncommon)on the Republican side, they prove how truly sad they are.

The child will be labeled with those names for the rest of their life. How does one know their little Barack will not grow up to be a conservative or if their little Newt will not grow up to be a total liberal? It is totally disgusting to name a child on the basis of "political worship"

May 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |