May 8th, 2009

Name 'Barack' soars in popularity, government says

The president's first name showed a dramatic leap in popularity from 2007 to 2008, according to the Social Security Administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Then-Sen. Barack Obama's name may have been everywhere during the presidential campaign, but it did not make the top 1000 most popular picks for babies. Still, it gained popularity.

During 2008, the new president's first name ranked 2,409th on the Social Security Administration's annual list of the most popular baby names. That's a jump of more than 10,000 spots from the name's previous ranking in the 12,535th spot during 2007.

"President Obama's popularity peaks among Americans under the age of 30, who are, in turn, most likely to be having babies," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Full story

For more information about the Social Security Administration's annual rankings that were released Friday, click here.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Tachea

I not only want to have a baby named Barack I want to have it for Barack & Michelle. They need a son to carry on his name, and I would love to be a surrogate for them..

May 8, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. GOP = 21st century dodo

"Poor kids. Growing up named after the worst President in the History of the United States is gonna be rough."

Historians agree that the worst US President is James Buchanan. Can you please link me to the article that talks about kids being named James Buchanan?

If you can't that's ok. You can just go back to watching Glenn Beck and breathing through your mouth.

May 8, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. rightwinger

Obama to address Muslim relations during Egypt visit.........maybe he will bow and shine shoes their too!

May 8, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  4. Chris

Good Lord, why? The dude is an OK president, but it's not a name a child wants. Even He didn't want his own name growing up. On a different note, to name your child after a celebrity or politician is weird. Insanity really.

May 8, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. Carolyn in Memphis Tennessee

A lot of black Americans were named after white masters and we adjusted very well to our new free status. We generally name our children whatever we want to as do white people. Perhaps, Barack's mother was one of those rare white people who understood the concept of brotherly love and respect for other peoples culture. Just a thought.

May 8, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. lizz

when is obama to have his own Barack III?

May 8, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. GOP = 21st century dodo

@Nestor:

"It's not stunning that the name's popularity would increase. It would probably be better to wait until he has been president for a while though. It would suck to grow up with the name Barack if he turns out to be the worst president ever, which so far isn't out of the realm of possibility."

I've heard many, many people say that Austin is unlike the rest of Texas, and it would easily rate 99/100 in terms of coolness. Now I see why that 1 point was taken off.

May 8, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. len

This is news..??? Who cares...

May 8, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. patNY

At least its better than my real first name, Pasquale...thanks to my Italian parents.

May 8, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Kitchen Police

Dennis, You're wrong; we're following him because he is our President!

May 8, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. John

I was forced to join the HJ (Hitlerjugend – Hitler youth) when I lived in Germany. America's blind love for Obama reminds me an awful lot about how people loved Hitler back then. At least I can always go back to live in Germany when the United States turns into another Mexico.

May 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. tm

"….and what if he turns out to be the worst president ever? Wouldn't that suck for those babies?"

No worse than it sucks for people named George.

May 8, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. DaBird

Poor kid to be named after the biggest liar in history. A lie a day will keep the bad press away.

May 8, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. Jon

I wonder if Obama is thinking about the debt he's giving that poor baby. Might as well be Darth Vader holding that baby to me.

May 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. Give me a barack

Are we permitted to use his name in vain?

May 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. Mark

"Those babies will someday be paying off his stimulus packages."

LOL...that is the truth. If we even survive as a nation with this usurper in charge.

May 8, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. richie

My girlfriend is pregnant and want to name our baby boy Barack...

I think that is a good idea...

May 8, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Ryan

At least they aren't naming their kids Apple or Pilot Inspektor. But this is not much better.

May 8, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. Darren

Funny how some "republican" supporters sure estow a lot of hate ...
    It will be recorded in history that Mr Obama – a man of peace and the comon people – reached out his hand to the world.

The Image of the US is indeed changing from one of arrogance and acts of self intererest and even phases of evil (Angent orange use in SE Asia) to one of intelligence and heart.

May 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. Jerry

Amazing! Shows how dumb people really are. I would inflict this name on my dog.

May 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. AC

Worst President? The republicans the come here and leave comment like this make sick, Your party destroy our economy and run the reputation of my country to the ground and jet you come here and call Obama the worst president ever your should be ashame!
    Ps. My first born will be name Adam Barack Corona in honor of the republicans worst nightmare.

May 8, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. Mark

"Yup! those below 30 years old, 60% of them don't pay income tax, but sucking the system. They all want FREEBIES!"

Indeed. Barack might as well mean "pied piper of parasites"

May 8, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. malclave

Wow, you libtards are still attacking Palin, even on something as unrelated as this thread? You're as pathetic as ever.

As far as name popularity... how does this compare to Iraqi babies named after Pres. Bush?

May 8, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Ryan

"Look, I understand you people lost the election, but grow up!"

Why should we when liberals never got over 2000 or 2004 and complained about Bush for every single thing he did? Liberals are whiny babies too. It's OK for democrats to complain about the president but republicans complain about the 'almighty' Barack and we need to get over it. That's a double standard. I voted and didn't vote for Obama, I have a right to complain. It's America. Free speech. At least for now.

May 8, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. Chris

You're one to talk, Jackson!

May 8, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |