May 8th, 2009

Name 'Barack' soars in popularity, government says

The president's first name showed a dramatic leap in popularity from 2007 to 2008, according to the Social Security Administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Then-Sen. Barack Obama's name may have been everywhere during the presidential campaign, but it did not make the top 1000 most popular picks for babies. Still, it gained popularity.

During 2008, the new president's first name ranked 2,409th on the Social Security Administration's annual list of the most popular baby names. That's a jump of more than 10,000 spots from the name's previous ranking in the 12,535th spot during 2007.

"President Obama's popularity peaks among Americans under the age of 30, who are, in turn, most likely to be having babies," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Full story

For more information about the Social Security Administration's annual rankings that were released Friday, click here.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. nwatcher

The mere fact that the media is covering this AT ALL should let people know how little the positions and policies of this president and congress matter to the media – and many Americans. Get a cute dog, take cute pictures with babies...sure...we'll all forget about the social gangrene setting in, the government takeover of private companies, our mortgaged future to cover the tracks of unethical or immoral business practices (with just one budget so far), yada, yada, yada.

By the way, if all you have in your arsenal to promote Mr. Obama is to drop the names of former unpopular-to-the-leftist politicians and assume we think the current president must be a great president – that's pretty lame! I'm sure you guys can do better than that!

May 8, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. Glennis

Blake the Young May 8th, 2009 1:05 pm ET

Leslie, I'm 23 and have been paying taxes since I was 14. I haven't recieved a dime of government money in return. No money for college, healthcare, or social security, nothing. Newsflash: it's you old people sucking the system dry. There isn't going to be social security by the time I'm that old because there's too many of you OLD people sucking it up. You tell me what freebies our government has given to me. I've worked hard for everything I have. Next time exercise that little OLD brain of yours before you open your big OLD mouth.
    *****************************************************************
    Blake, the Idiot: I'm sorry but that is really a cheap shot that I can't let go by. Most older people receiving Social Security worked their entire lives and paid into the system. Many, if not most of them didn't get a dime in government money for college, healthcare either. Calling yourself young may be a misnomer; you appear to be brain dead already.

May 8, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. mick

What a great idea! In honor of the prez, I named my dog Barack (sounds like bark to me). He loves to hold his head high and hike his leg on government objects, lives off of my work, and whines when he doesnt get his own way. And as a former police dog, he has more time in the government than the original Barack. The name works for me!

May 8, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. Jill

I'm sitting here at work, drinking ice tea waiting for Friday to be over &reading the comments. I almost spit my tea out when I read Mark C.'s comment. I almost spit out my tea from laughter. You are a truly gifted writer. I'm not sure I've enjoyed a comment more, especially "Oh, no you galactic-scale imbecile because..." You absolutely made my day! I'm still laughing.

May 8, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  5. John Galt

On May 8th, 2009 1:57 pm ET, Freeman said:
    "So called Christians that are pro life and pro war. Such hypocrites!"

Hmm... how then, does it make sense to be pro-abortion and anti-war?

Let's go over this really quickly.
    Babies – not guilty of anything = killing them is murder
    Soldiers – choose to fight = killing them is sad, but morally acceptable
    Murderers – guilty of murder = killing them is punishment

If you think super hard on it for a while, I know you'll get it. Just take a break if you get tired.

May 8, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. No More Incumbents

I named my parrot Barack. He can say his name. I named my dog Nancy. They just look alike. I named my Pet rock Harry. They think alike.

May 8, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. liberialism.is.a.sickness

Seriously this Obama love afair is getting pretty scary!!!!! Yikes!

May 8, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. Liberal and Proud of It!

To all the Morlocks–

I have a liberal education.
    I believe in liberty.
    I am generous.

In a great society we as individuals must look out for each other.

I have read many comments I find distasteful because –
    a self-centered conservatism has infected too many,
    too many glorify ignorance,
    too many have blindly followed a political jingoism that has outlived its usefulness.

It is better to avoid upheavel than to focus on "dying with the most toys."

I like Barack Obama.
    In him is a greatness of spirit that ego-centric anti-liberal people cannot comprehend.

I prefer his ground-breaking perspicacity over the ground rooting conservative moles .

May 8, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Joanna

Barack, Sasha and Malia ... great names for blacks.

May 8, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. Linda

To Lori, maybe if Barack was doing anything worthwhile, we could stop complaining. All I've seen so far is change I don't want. Spending more in the deficit than all 43 presidents before him together, going out for hamburgers, bowing to Saudi kings, apologizing for America's arrogance, drinking beer at ballgames, saying we aren't a Christian nation anymore.... He's really some humdinger, isn't he?

May 8, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Finally

More people should think like her, it's worth repeating:

Lori, Houston Texas May 8th, 2009 1:04 pm ET

Wow. Earlier in the week people complained about President Obama ordering mustard on his hamburger. Now it's Americans who name their babies after him. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Look, I understand you people lost the election, but grow up! There are alot more important things you could be doing to improve this country rather than complain about such meaningless stuff in the world online. How about spending the afternoon at a homeles shelter reading to kids? At a food bank organizing donations? Providing a ride to the doctor for a senior citizen with no transportation? Will you please consider coming back to being contributing members of American society? This Party before Country stuff is what is causing the most damage to America – not the (whomever you think is out to get you). I'm off to my meals on wheels volunteer job now so, have a nice day. Hope to see you volunteering too some day!!!

Volulnteer Firefighter!

May 8, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. M.Banks

Obama 2012 Yes We Can, Yes We Will, AGAIN.

May 8, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Michael

I named a cockroach Rush then I stepped on him

May 8, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Tulsa

This all proves the point that the Republican right is the most vile, mean spirited bunch the country has ever produced.

Glad I left when I did. You sicken me.

May 8, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. Expat American

Obama Victim May 8th, 2009 1:35 pm ET
    doubt if many of these kids are white
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Is that you John Wayne? .....time to go pick your food stamps and wheel of govt. cheese, slack jaw.

May 8, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Bubba

To MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz , you must be a very precocious first grader, but I bet Mommy doesn't want you on the computer any more. Bye Bye!

May 8, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. Rose

The welfare roles will be full in the south with people naming there kids
    "W" ! Republicans get a clue! Barack is simply the best! -R

May 8, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Cathy

I read a few of these comments and quickly scrolled down to write my own. People who feed on hate are "Losers". Those of you to whom this applies, please take note.

May 8, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  19. Scott/KC

you ppl are sad...what exactly has he done yet besides read a telepropter really well? Can someone name a big accomplishment that shows he deserves all this praise?

May 8, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  20. slowgun

@No More Incumbents May 8th, 2009 4:51 pm ET

------------------------–
    Hey No More Incumbents, can we assume your real name is Dick?

May 8, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  21. cutenblessed25

Simply put, if you don't like the name, then don't like it and don't name your children "Barack". And if you like it, then that's ok too. WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THE IGNORANCE?? Interesting how IGNORANT people who post on here have the audacity (big word) to call others IGNORANT when they are behaving the same way. I guess you can be a BULLY over the internet....quite funny if you ask me...lol.

May 8, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  22. DJ in the Silicon Forest

Am I imagining things or has The Ticker been limiting comments to double digit numbers if the subject is unfavorable to Bam Bam & The 'Bots?
    Many times I've tried to post, only to scroll down and see it "closed" after 45 or so comments, if that many! And you closed the "Obama & Biden Burger Run" after ONLY THREE (yep, 3!) comments! This one so far has 394 posts (and counting...) to it – how long before this little puff piece gem is closed? One thousand or so sounds about right!!!
    However, when it is a possible negative story on a conservative (read Bush officials), you will let the posts run up to 300 easy!
    Betcha you let this one run at least 200 comments….AND I bet you won't post this either! CNN, you are getting pathetic! Enough of the Jr. High Journalism garbage!

May 8, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  23. Drooskie

This is so silly reading these comments.

The Democratic comments bash the Republicans and the Republican comments bash the Democrats. Some of them are ironic. Like one comment jumps all down the Republicans throats about using "attack politics" while campaigning. So that person was "attacking" the Republicans about "attacking". Thats just an example but its going on between both sides.

Its a childish game and therefore we are lead by people just because they are good at this childish game.

My personal beliefs are really neither D nor R. I agree with some things Ron Paul says, but mostly we need to, as a country, go back to the Constitution and what this country was founded for.

May 8, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Jon Anderson

I find it amazing that you can't disagree with the left-wingers without being called a hatemonger or a "loser". Those of you to whom this applies, please take note.

May 8, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  25. Rick

Why would anyone name their child after the worst president ever?

May 8, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |