May 8th, 2009

Name 'Barack' soars in popularity, government says

The president's first name showed a dramatic leap in popularity from 2007 to 2008, according to the Social Security Administration.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Then-Sen. Barack Obama's name may have been everywhere during the presidential campaign, but it did not make the top 1000 most popular picks for babies. Still, it gained popularity.

During 2008, the new president's first name ranked 2,409th on the Social Security Administration's annual list of the most popular baby names. That's a jump of more than 10,000 spots from the name's previous ranking in the 12,535th spot during 2007.

"President Obama's popularity peaks among Americans under the age of 30, who are, in turn, most likely to be having babies," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Full story

For more information about the Social Security Administration's annual rankings that were released Friday, click here.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Rob Johnson

Well, it wasn't exactly a popular name to begin with, so there is nowhere to go but up, right?

May 8, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. bob j

this should be no surprise americans name there children after presidents and famous people

May 8, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Kevin in Ohio

I wonder how people named "Millard" felt in 1900..... I think these kids will feel the same in 2050.

May 8, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. beaglemom

For the person who was concerned about "nobody" naming their kid George...you are right it did slip in 2008, to 153 from the previous year at 147. That makes George a much more popular name than Barack @2,409. All that information available right there with the link from the article. The real test is a decade from now, when I predict George will still be in the top 200 and the trend of Barack babies will have subsided.

May 8, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. EricNY

Stop whining about the media. The man is likeable and when someone is likeable, stories like this are more interesting to read. Bush wasnt likeable, thats why you never read things like this about him. Besides, watch fox news for 10 minutes at any given time and you will see the media as a whole isnt in love with the man.

May 8, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. Samuel

Any child name Dick lately? Nop.

May 8, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  7. T

LOL in 3 years or less. Being associated with the name Barack might well be a bad thing. He keeps spending like he is his name will be regarded like Benedict Arnold's.

May 8, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. Mobius

I'll be naming my next kid Hussein if that's so 'cool' – and when I say cool, I mean cool like wearing your pants around your knees cool.

May 8, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. elliott

How horrible!!! What a terrible name......it's un-American!!!

May 8, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. obama/mama

Maybe all you righties can choose from names such as:
    Newt, Mitt, Rush, Dubaya, Bristol, Willow, Trig, Tripp,

May 8, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. Robert

Those babies will someday be paying off his stimulus packages.

May 8, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Rufus

If I had kids I would name my Barack. Anybody that is willing to clean up the big mess to help me I give him honor.

May 8, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. Vic

I don't know about the name "Barack" winning the blue ribbon, but this picture takes the prize!!!

May 8, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. Anonymous

To Muslims, Hussein is a cool name.

May 8, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. Jackson

Poor kids. Growing up named after the worst President in the History of the United States is gonna be rough.

May 8, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. Ted:Canada

Nice Piture! – it says a lot!!

Hope
    Faith
    Charity
    Love

yes a lot of nice words and names...

Obama you should use this picture often!!

You are No. 1 in Canada

May 8, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  17. KC

....and what if he turns out to be the worst president ever? Wouldn't that suck for those babies?

May 8, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. Lori, Houston Texas

Wow. Earlier in the week people complained about President Obama ordering mustard on his hamburger. Now it's Americans who name their babies after him. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Look, I understand you people lost the election, but grow up! There are alot more important things you could be doing to improve this country rather than complain about such meaningless stuff in the world online. How about spending the afternoon at a homeles shelter reading to kids? At a food bank organizing donations? Providing a ride to the doctor for a senior citizen with no transportation? Will you please consider coming back to being contributing members of American society? This Party before Country stuff is what is causing the most damage to America – not the (whomever you think is out to get you). I'm off to my meals on wheels volunteer job now so, have a nice day. Hope to see you volunteering too some day!!!

May 8, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. Elle

Readers be mindful of the hateful commentary that appears in these colums. It is urged and supported by FOX and the Far Right. Notice how the most benign and factual article about our President will cause a flurry of negative and hate-filled activity.

These 'bloggers" are acting in conjunction with the Extreme Right Wing and we all need to be mindful of where these comments are coming from rather than responding to them. Tell all media, including CNN and the major network, that this avenue for infiltrating hate is not working.

May 8, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  20. Blake the Young

Leslie, I'm 23 and have been paying taxes since I was 14. I haven't recieved a dime of government money in return. No money for college, healthcare, or social security, nothing. Newsflash: it's you old people sucking the system dry. There isn't going to be social security by the time I'm that old because there's too many of you OLD people sucking it up. You tell me what freebies our government has given to me. I've worked hard for everything I have. Next time exercise that little OLD brain of yours before you open your big OLD mouth.

May 8, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. Independent63

Further proof that many Americans are mindless sheep.

May 8, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. mj

"Disagree with his policies if you must, but you have to honor the greatness ot the man!"
    -----------------------------
    What greatness are you talking about? He has to show something besides his rock star quality.

May 8, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. 30m-PUMA for McCain

EricNY,

Time to wake up. This man is NOT likeable. Far from it, my friend. It's the MEDIA that have been painting this guy as a wonderful person and doctoring video of him to make appear better than what he really is. It's shameful.

May 8, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

No wonder our economy tanked under republican control . . . Good grief, you wing nuts can't even get past something as simple as a name without spinning in circles.

May 8, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  25. Carl

To the few that posted their names are Barack and have great pride because of their name, no one really cares. Just like no one cares what my name is or what anyone else's.

If the President's name was "Trashcan" and spelled it with a symbol that looked like Oscar the grouch from Sesame Street, then Americans would jump all over the name. A name should not bring your pride; your actions do.

May 8, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |