May 9th, 2009

Democrats to rule until 2049?

(CNN) - CNN contributor and Democratic strategist James Carville explains why he thinks the Democrats will hold power for the next 50 years.

Filed under: Democratic Party • Republican Party
  1. Will in Carson City

God help us if that happens.

May 9, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. Shayne in NH

Hey repubs.....you getting this? You better start listening to McCain's daughter......or you WILL be history.

Sometimes I don't think you realize that Limbaugh is the political equivalent to cancer for your party...time to cut it out or say LATER!

I'm a demo, but after listening to Meghan's idea's for the repub party I think even I would switch over. Many others too.

You really have to figure out who you are, what you stand for, and what's going on. Because right now you have about 14 different faces with 14 different ideas.

May 9, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. Chris (SC)

Lets hope he is right. Democrats need to take care of business and do things with thoughtful consideration of what we need to do to get this country back on track.

May 9, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. Dems to rule..?

To rule for 50 years...? according to Carville...well don't the people have a say in this afterall the USA is a domocracy...not a mornachy or the other kind where the people are oppressed...anyone ruling for
    too long becomes a...rememer the Soviet Union...! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Cindy,CA

I think American voters will swing more towards the independant party. Judging from my grandson who is 17, he's not happy with either party. Then there's the debt the young voters will have to deal with. I think this will all play out with more educated voters. I hope people will start paying attention to our "leaders" and not be so biased on party lines. We need to get back to our roots and I hope we will do so in a more positive manner.

May 9, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Larry

I'll be 106 and loving it.

May 9, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. annie s

From your mouth to God's ears!

May 9, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. keep smoking the good "stuff"

50 years?? There's no way in the world, oh, wait, I forgot. This is CNN........ I'm surprised it's ONLY 50 years.

This is completely impossible simply because we wouldn't be around that long. But keep dishing out the kool-aid, CNN. No wonder Fox News is destroying you in the ratings.

May 9, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. danny

I like James carville, but this is exactly what Karl Rove said about the Republican party in 2004 and we all see how well that went.

May 9, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. BusyMom

If the GOP keeps heading in the direction that it is now, Carville will be correct. The GOP is not producing new ideas, it is relying on hypocritical, negative rhetoric, and it is alienating young voters with its stance on social issues. The GOP is viewed as the party of negativity and hate by the majority of Americans.

May 9, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Jim

These kind of predictions are useless.

May 9, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Yeah right.....

what's he smoking?--the Dems will; be finished in 2010 as the deprtession takes hold and strangles the middle class--watch the price of gasoline as it's moving back to $4 a gallon and higher which will cut consumer spending off at the knees and force foreclosures and unemployment to new highs--

May 9, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. Sniffit

good job cnn

2009+50=2049

May 9, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Lori

The next 40 years. I say the next 100 years! The Republicans have turned off many young people (yes, I still consider myself young at 30) and a whole lot of other voters. We will no longer be bullied or feared into voting for a Republican like our parents generations. We don't believe that Republicans are more patriotic or support the military more than Democrats, we don't believe that black people are all on welfare, we don't believe that hispanics are taking all our jobs, we don't believe that homosexuals are evil, I don't care for abortion but I believe that every woman's story is not the same and she may have to make that choice. I am a white women that proudly voted for Barack and the Democrats and I will campaign for them for the next 40 years, if need be. I am glad that I have a President that is spending my hard earned tax dollars on rebuilding America by reforming healthcare, education, and other services we so desperately need instead of on wars I see no benefit from. My children and grandchildren will be better off for it. And thank you Mr. Carville for your work with the Democrats.

May 9, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. Richard A. Spomer, Alexandria, VA

There needs to more openness in the Party, and education on the issue of Disabilities; it does not have one race being Black or White, and along the issues towards that of Inclusion. It is clear that race is taking a much larger roll in this Presidency than that of any other one; and more important roll than that of Disabilities, where as blacks are readily using disabilities as a form to get cash, medications, and other resources. Parking passes, Living vouchers, Medicaid & Food Stamps, Medicare, SSI & SSDI, we could increase the list.

May 9, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. shelby

As usual bloviator in chief exaggerates just a tad.

May 9, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. Pamma

If that is the case, GOD HELP US !!!!!!

May 9, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Moe

That's great. We (or any of us who are left) will be poor, socialistic, apologetic drones obeying everything washington tells us to do. By that time we will be taking our orders from Beijing, Moscow, or Addis Ababa. Carville's an idiot–a well paid idiot, but an idiot. The dems' will make all the illegals citizens who will continue to vote for the dems–but guess what–the gravy train runs out when there are a minority of hard working Republicans who actually do hold jobs. Who the hell is going to find the money to pay for them then? Barney Frank? Don't think so. Stretch Pelosi? Don't think so. Harry Reid? Don't think so.

May 9, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. Sleepless in Colorado

I thought that smoking crack in this country was illegal. I voted for mostly democrats this time around but I'm not loyal to any party. I encourage others to study each party because they're both playing the same game. The republicans did terrible over the past years but that doesn't make the democrats exempt. The country is awake now and you better watch your butts and not feel secure with your positions. We need term limits in the House and Senate. There is no need for us to have professional politicians that become corrupt with power. Most of the country is not in a position of comfort, why should our representatives be any different. If you had any wisdom Carville, you would shut your mouth and get to work instead of coming up with stupid predictions. Good luck, democrats. You're going to need it...

May 9, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  20. S M R

Mr Carville is Right on this one. After what Bush / Cheney did to our Great Country , who in their right mind would vote GOP ever again.

May 9, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Dennis

The party in power always screws thing up. These things go in cycles. It might take 8-10 years, but the GOP will be in power again.

May 9, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. dace

We can only hope this is true – it will take that long to undo the nightmare and destructive policies of bush and reagan. These two have destroyed the US financially and morally. Hopefully 2010 will kick more of the white hood extremists out of the senate that still believe they are fighting the civil war or worshiping their hero jim crow.

May 9, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Joyce Becker

You are so right James, perhaps even longer than 2049, of course us Democrats will gladly settle for that date. What does Mary have to say about that I wonder.

May 9, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Edward

I think that the Democrats are over estimating the strength of their mandate, I am an Independent btw. Essentially it can be said that Obama has a mandate rather than the Democratic party. Obama arrived at the right time, he is a rare occurrence and came after 8 years of hell. Had McCain picked Romney for VP the election would have been much closer. The Republicans are in trouble yes, but that's only because they have such a small base now. This is in part because Democrats are growing but also because Republicans have alienated anyone who isn't far right.

May 9, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  25. TCM

only if they can extend the fraud that got OBama in the white house....this in dangerous; not many will tolerate much beyond 4 yrs.....the US won't be the US if liberals are allowed to call the shots beyond 2010....however, my bald cat-eyed feminine friend...most of the country is fed up with the overspending of the current congress. They're gone in 2010. Then, Any plans of OBama's will be stalled, and he'll exit a lame duck in Jan 2013, to the applaud of millions of REAL Americans....crawl back in your hole, Carville. IT's pathetic when crap spewers like you actually cause hype in th media, totally unsubstantiated..

May 9, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |