May 9th, 2009

Obama meets with Capt. Richard Phillips

ALT TEXTPresident Obama meets with Capt. Richard Phillips in the Oval Office on Saturday. Phillips is the cargo-ship captain whose capture by pirates triggered a dramatic U.S. Navy rescue off the coast of Africa last month. Phillips was joined by his wife, Andrea. Photo credit: Pete Souza/White House

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

yeah May 9th, 2009 3:14 pm ET

this captain did the right thing, he fought back. advising ships that running is the rest option in defending against pirates will only do one thing, force pirates to get faster boats. The thing to do is ARM merchant ships. Its what people did in the old days to beat piracy and its what we should do now. there is no way I would get on ship that was unarmed and go out to sea. then again I am former Navy
    ----------------------

You are right about having armed personnel on board.

An Italian cruise ship did just that. They shot back at the pirates..Most likely scaring the hell out of them and sailed away ot safety and home.

May 9, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Independent that is Starting to see Obama for who he is

I love how Obama is taking all the credit when he tried to place obstacles in the way of the snipers. It is being reported that Obama did not want to give the shot to kill order and actually had delayed the order for over 24 hours till Navy personal persuaded Mr. Obama to give the order. I will take Bush over this empty suit any day of the week. Bush was a real Commander and Chief.

May 9, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I hope this threesome had a great visit! It is special to be invited to the White House.

May 9, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Who cares what she's wearing, I personally would like to be sitting right where she is. Great Job to the President and Captain.

May 9, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. Lauren

I know this was a casual meeting, but the wife looks like she has been running errands with the kids (or grandkids) all day, and she didn't change before meeting The President of the United States. I can't believe she is dressed like this. I work with 10 year olds all day and I dress better than that to teach reading, writing and arithmetic, as well as art and drama.

I know they are regular people, but you would think even regular people know how to dress in casual style that is at least a bit dressed up. I bet she has birkenstocks or flip-flops on

May 9, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. wilkinson

Back up, what the hell is going on? I voted for this guy but I now am wondering what he is doing. This is not Late Night or SNL, he has a job to do and he is acting like a celeb. No Jokes, No Fun, we voted for you to do a job and represent us. Did you forget about that?!

May 9, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. Simmy

elathia,
    As far as I know, 'Seals' on that type mission don't normally reveal their identities....Don't be so mean...Life is too short....That goes for you other sour lemons as well...

May 9, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. Max

The look on his wife's face suggests that she may not be happy that the President rescued her husband. Cheer up, Lady – you're married to a great man. And as a republican, I give Obama well deserved respect on this one for his command, careful directive and the flawless execution by our Seals.

May 9, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  9. 60's survivor

you fashion police get off this page. go to entertainment tonight for your worthless comments. I bet you were bullys in school too!! this meeting is for the folks involved.

May 9, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  10. Dee, USAF (Ret)

Big "O" you are my Chief, Capt Phillip "You are a Man, and a Leader"! Thank U!

May 9, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |