May 9th, 2009

Obama meets with Capt. Richard Phillips

ALT TEXTPresident Obama meets with Capt. Richard Phillips in the Oval Office on Saturday. Phillips is the cargo-ship captain whose capture by pirates triggered a dramatic U.S. Navy rescue off the coast of Africa last month. Phillips was joined by his wife, Andrea. Photo credit: Pete Souza/White House

Filed under: President Obama
  1. peter

Why this woman dress like she is hitting the bed time instead of oval office and meeting with the most powerful president of world. She must be one of them right wing red neck from the dirty south huh.

True hero captain and my belove............this pic is the nest excepet this red neck woman ruined it with her dressing code.

May 9, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. Emily in Michigan

Um, was the Captain's wife aware that she would be visiting the White House and meeting the President of the United States? She looks as though she just got back from Walmart.

May 9, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. IMHO

TCM: Obama hates the military and whites? Based on what – your desire to hate Obama?

I bet if you took off your hood, your head would be pointy, too.

May 9, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  4. Emily in Michigan

Too funny I hadn't even read anybody else's comments and everybody else thinks she works at Walmart too. :) Poor woman. I am sure she will be embarrassed later bless her heart.

May 9, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. elathia

Obama was forced in a corner. He had nothing to do with the rescue. Seals would of ended it without this coward. Hey, maybe he could get a sit down with the pirates and tell them what idiots the American people are, ask for forgiveness? I'm sure they would be happy to give up their evil ways if Obama would apologize for the American people one more time. Obama's anti American.

May 9, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. Rick Roberts

It is just a shame that the GOP will not recognize what Obama does. All they want to say is NO. Well let me tell you as someone who performrd for three Presidents, I would be proud to sit with President Obama in the Oval Office.
    He is so self assured that, even in the Oval Office, he can be REAL. I am sure"RUSH" will have something to say about this in a bad way but the truth is that I really would be thrilled to sit with him.
    Phillips is a hero, but so is Obama and the military he commands. Those Seals did a great job but they would not have had it not for the President having the testicles to order the shoot. Come on McCain, you were in the Navy. Did you ever shoot or bomb something that wasn't ordered by your suoeriors?
    I would love to hear McCain say,"GOOD JOB MR. PRESIDENT". That will never happen. The GOP says that the DEMS never said that the surge was a good thing but I have never heard any Republican say that saving Phillips life was a brave thing to do.
    Now you know that, although I am an Independant, I will never vote Republican. Not until you get the old farts out of there.

May 9, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Larry from RI

Hey TCM,
    Try turning off FAUX news, Beck, Savage and Rush before you post – your right wing putrescent talking points are getting all jumbled together and we are having a tough time discerning which of those methane dispensers you are trying to emulate?

May 9, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  8. Obama 2012

She doesn't look happy at all!! If she did not want to go, she should have stayed home. Both her and her husband's body language shows that they don't like the President too much!!

May 9, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. brenda

Hey TCM – You must have been in a psychiatric hospital for the last few weeks. Haven't seen your hate-filled, ignorant, error-ridden posts lately. Can't say I missed them. Go back – they forgot to perform the lobotomy.

May 9, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. Ted

what did you expect Mrs Phillips to wear? These people are normal people from Vermont. Ever been to Vermont? Great place not tied up about formality and baloney. People who are down to earth and will help a neighbor. People who go to WalMart and go for hikes in the Green Mountains. Just normal, working folk. Salt of the earth and good solid trustworth people.

May 9, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Respect the Oval office

Geesh, dress up when you are in the oval office. What is the captain's wife wearing? Obama wear a tie!

May 9, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Ken in NC

@ elathia May 9th, 2009 2:54 pm ET

Why isn't Mr. Obama (not my president) meeting with the Seals that saved him from doom?

The President is not meeting with the SEALS because they did the job for which they were trained to do and to protect them in future work. I am sure they have gotten their due recognition for a "mission well done".

Military people do not do their job for recognition. Military service is ones way of giving to our country for what it gives to us.

May 9, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. EBJ

@ elathia

Why isn't Mr. Obama(not my president) meeting with the SEALS that saved him from his doom?

Hey great idea,,,,

Why not have the SEALS meet the president..have their pictures all in the media so everyone INCLUDING THE TERRORIST will know who they are? I'm sure these proud Navy SEALS would just love that idea!

I swear that some of you Obama-haters are so quick to try to say something negative about him that you don't even think before saying it.

in case you didn't know it, terrorist and pirates DO follow the media!

May 9, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. Kimberly

HAHA, the right never cease to amaze me. Obama, UNLIKE bush, looked at the situation, spoke with the Navy and CIA, took the most careful and educated path, instructed the Navy to kill when they had the chance, and the captain was rescued. Obama deserves credit for giving the order and for thinking it through instead shoot first and ask questions later, that would have got the captain killed. You loons on the right need to STOP watching hannity, hes a high school DROP OUT with NO political OR journilist training. The Navy has commended the president in his handleing of the situation, but handjob, I mean hannity didnt so you loons take his side, typical uneducated morons.

May 9, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  15. Ken in NC

People need to lay off the attire worn to meet with the President and the fact that they may or may not be Republicans. They are regular Americans and he is the President of all Americans. Ye, he is even the President of Americans that do not like him or did not vote for him. He is an American President. I know it is hard for many to adjust to because it has been so long since we have had a President in the White House that cares about Americans but give it a try.

May 9, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  16. Kimberly

OK, I dont want to jump on look whats shes wearing band wagon, but come on this IS the president of the United States, and this IS the White house, she looks like she was cleaning the house and forgot to change...I agree, if the President is in a suit, she should have shown more respect and not worn what looks to be a scrubs shirt and pants...SORRY, bash away, but again, this was a little bit too dumpy for the White House, ANY bargain basement store sells dresses or nice outfits for 40.00 or so...no excuse for this outfit...

May 9, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  17. pa.

I don't give a rip what anybody was wearing . One can only imagine the interesting conversation that was going on. I would loved to have heard it.

May 9, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. Sniff these...Sniffit

@ Texas Teacher...

Where do you get this 80% BS you keep spewing?

Have your meds worn off again?

May 9, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. Jean

Aww this is such a sweet photo. I would be so nervous to be in the white house. I would be shaking. I am so glad Prez Obama is so wonderful and so down to earth. It would be an honor to meet him and to be able to visit the white house!

May 9, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. My hero

Some people do not go out of their way to spend money on clothes like Gov. Palin. Perhaps the Phiips' are plain and simple or don't know protocal. What does it matter? Our President is a President of all the people – wealthy, homeless, Harvard educated or no education – he can relate and converse wth all and that's why I love the Obama's. They came up working class and look at them now HATERS!

May 9, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  21. Ben Ogbolu, London

To Elliot; Obama needs no lesson on bravery. He defied many cynics and their silly antics like yours by winning honourably the task to lead your nation. Accord him the respect he deserves and work with him, if not, grow up!

Does it also occur to you that he bravely took that decision to scramble the US Navy to Captain Richard Phillips’ rescue? Ever since he did it, he has not been arrogant about the event. Read excerpts from Ed Rollins and be grateful for what he did.

For those worried about their clothing preference, I agree the Captain and wife's mood may give away signals; he rarely mentioned the President’s name or influence in saving him when he arrived in the States to be reunited with his family. So, why should anyone be surprised he or his wife did not dress for the occasion?

May 9, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Obama is truly the "Peoples" president.

May 9, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  23. Diana NJ

@TCM, is your voice the voice of Republican party..?? Annointed One.. hum.. you like sound bites.. that are put out.. Do you ever Think rather than repeat what ignorant people say?

May 9, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  24. mary

I agree, she probably is a nice lady, but still, she should have worn something dressy. It looks like scrubs. A nice pair of slacks and collared shirt even. You know the Captain of a large vessel likes that can well afford to dress up his wife for a meeting with the President of the United States. At least he made some effort.

On another note, he is a hero, just as much if not more than the Seals that rescued him. They are trained for it and expect it, he is not. He showed great courage. They all did a great job.

May 9, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. Sabrina

As someone who is not American, but is inspired by America, I am so disappointed when I read these hateful blogs. We all have our own opinions, but wouldn't it serve the American people to unite, work hard to get things moving and be an inspirtation to the rest of the world instead of spewing insults on to your President. How does this help?

May 9, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |