May 9th, 2009

Obama teases Republicans, Clinton at annual dinner

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama drew big laughs at the annual White House correspondents dinner Saturday night, taking jabs at his administration, his Republican rivals and even himself.

"I would like to talk about what my administration plans to achieve in the next 100 days," Obama said. "During the second 100 days we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days."

He added later, "I believe that my next 100 days will be so successful, I will be able to complete them in 72 days - and on the 73rd day I will rest."

The Democratic president poked fun at the Republican party, saying it "does not qualify for a bailout" and conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh "doesn't count as a troubled asset."

Obama touched on a few gaffes during his short time in office, from Vice President Joe Biden's verbose tendencies to an unfortunate Air Force One photo op that frightened New Yorkers - playfully pointing his finger at his young
daughters

"Sasha and Malia aren't here tonight because they're grounded," he said.

"You can't just take Air Force One on a joyride to Manhattan - I don't care whose kids you are."

As the world shakes off swine flu fears that started in Mexico, Obama noted his old rivalry with former Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton, who now serves as secretary of state.

"We had been rivals during the campaign, but these days we could not be closer," the president said. "In fact, the second she got back from Mexico, she pulled me into a hug and gave me a big kiss - told me to get down there
myself."

Obama even took on former Vice President Dick Cheney, who wasn't in attendance: "He is very busy working on his memoirs, tentatively titled, "How to Shoot Friends and Interrogate People."

Obama took a somber tone, though, when specifically addressing the reporters in the room - noting the financial struggles that have afflicted the newspaper industry.

"Across the country there are extraordinary, hardworking journalists who have lost their jobs in recent days, recent weeks, recent months," he said. "I know each newspaper and media outlet is wrestling with how to respond with
these changes. ... Not every ending will be a happy one.

"It is also true that your ultimate success as an industry is essential to the success of our democracy - it's what makes this thing work."

Obama's remarks were followed by comedian Wanda Sykes, whose searing delivery spared no one - including the president and his tendency to pick up basketball games.

"They're just stroking your ego Mr. President," Sykes said.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. on a joyride to Manhattan

not funny

I do not have trouble letting this go, I am not a 'hater', but this was sooooooo stupid, and his joke is poor

May 10, 2009 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  2. The man's got jokes!

Barack Obama is one of the coolest Presidents ever! His jokes, weren't boring, but funny as all get out. Keep up the great work President BO!

May 10, 2009 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  3. Kamilah Tyus

President Obama is a man of integrity, who is very well versed on life. He has gone through more than many of us will ever know. So to all of the people who want to bash him you really need to get a life. You have know idea what our president has on his plate, not only is he the president he is a black man who is demonstrating that he has the ability to multi-task and control himself. Something many of the haters in America said did not exist. President Obama is more scrutinized than any other president in our history. Why? we all know the answer to that one. So to all who want to tear our president down with your hate speech and racism. I feel sorry for you because you are going to have to each your words and all of the hate that you try and spread. President Obama will succeed in everything he puts his mind to and he will defy the odds throughout his term in office. He wil be successful in bringing change to the United States of America. How do I know because our president is a man who fears God,cares for people, and believes in equality and justice for all people. To the first family you and your administration are in my prayers and may our God supply all your needs according to his riches and glory. May the peace that passeth all understanding continue to rest upon you daily and remember that greater is he that is in you. With God you can not fail. President Obama and First Lady Michelle thank you for all of your hard work, dedication and sacrifice. You are truly an inspiration.

May 10, 2009 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  4. Lily Lansdon

Still don't understand why Todd (first dude) Palin was there, what would he have to say, and to whom ? Well I guess its maybe just for Sarah's political agenda. I still don't see where he would fit in. white house corresspondent dinner

May 10, 2009 03:49 am at 3:49 am |
  5. jaymzz

'let's go to iowa n make it official'. the best line of the night, hands down!

May 10, 2009 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  6. Yossi Gestetner

Obama told the journalists something to the affect of "all of u voted for me."

It was a good "joke," but it is mainly the truth, and this tells us hos objective the reporters were during 2008 leading up to election day...

May 10, 2009 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  7. Yossi Gestetner

Obama told the journalists something to the affect of "all of u voted for me."

It was a good "joke," but it is mainly the truth, and this tells us how objective the reporters were during 2008 leading up to election day...

May 10, 2009 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  8. skyhawkdriver

Of course everyone in attendence laughed at his bad jokes..99.9percent of them voted for the bumpkin..the airforce one joke was in bad taste..the hillary joke was in bad taste..hopefully she will run again..she won't need a teleprompter...he is worried about newspapers??..of course he is..they all voted for him!!..I didn't hear any car jokes..I guess he can't tell chrysler jokes because he owns the company..that's funny because they all voted for him..the old saying is it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it to the world..where is joe biden when you need him??

May 10, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |