May 9th, 2009

Todd Palin to fill in for wife at DC dinner

Todd Palin will take his wife's spot this weekend in DC.
Todd Palin will take his wife's spot this weekend in DC.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Todd Palin, the husband of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, will fill in for the former Republican vice presidential candidate this weekend at a series of high profile events, a Palin spokesperson confirms to CNN.

Palin, also known as Alaska's "first dude," will take his wife's spot Saturday at the White House Correspondents' Dinner, the annual Washington event that draws a guest list of prominent journalists and Hollywood celebrities.

He will also appear at a Republican Governor's Association dinner Friday night, an event his wife was set to co-host as a thank you to donors who had contributed at least $25,000 to the organization.

The Alaska governor decided Thursday not to travel to Washington after declaring a state of emergency in Eagle, Alaska in the wake of record flooding.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Todd Palin
  1. "first dude"

if they will listen to him, then it is the fault of the attendees of the meeting... he, just like she, will have nothing of import to say

May 8, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  2. DB25

Geraldine Ferraro's husband is the only one who gets the title of "first dude". Not this idiot....

May 8, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. Sammy

If I had paid that 25k I would demand it back. Certainly they could find someone better than "First dude". I hate to say it but Rush would have been better and I'm sure he would have been happy to do it.

May 8, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  4. Clint, Wa.

I am so stunned by this that I can't even think of anything stupid or insultting to say!!

May 8, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  5. best sellers list

I want the job of filling in for Tod.

May 8, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  6. Louise

I am so not a Sarah Palin fan, but I don't see the problem with her DH standing in her stead. Given the situation in AK, it would make sense that both she and the Lt Gov remain there.

I voted for Obama but had McCain chosen another VP, he would have gotten my vote.

May 8, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  7. Lois

Poor Lt Gov Parnell must not have much to do. When she ran for VP, Parnell was not left in charge, Todd filling in for her on this one. Cushy job, I reckon, not much to do.

May 8, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  8. walker

Another "avoid the media at all cost". What does the Govenor know about flooding.? Is she out there filling sandbags or is she sandbagging the media?

May 8, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  9. Beka

I cannot fathom the horribly mean comments on this board.

It hurts my heart to see what some people will stoop to.

You should be ashamed of yourselves! What good does it do to say nasty things about anyone? No mater how you feel about someone, it's not good to carry that kind of a grudge against some you do not even know! She has never done anything to any of you personally!!

Whoever is without sin cast the first stone...

May 8, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  10. SM

Do Sarah and the Dud know that the massive floods are caused by global warming?

May 8, 2009 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  11. Agnes

Boy, they are really desperate.

May 8, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  12. obamamama

Good to hear. We need more like them (Palin) in the White House

May 8, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. crackerjack

Everyone of you would be so proud if you had a family like the Pallins. Jealously is just oozing from your mouths. Sure, they are not perfect but I have not seen or read one single thing they have done that we all are not guilty of !!! Lay off

May 8, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  14. liberal gal

CNN......Please keep these postings comming. I log in daily to get the laughs after a stressful day at work.
    Thank you republican party for making my days full of sunshine:)

May 8, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  15. CapnRita

The Beverly Hillbillies had more class than these hicks. I feel awful for the great folks of Alaska.

May 8, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  16. Bill Overing

TP not important!!
    The statement that Afghanistsan would be Obama's Vietnam was made by the spokesman for the head of the Taliban!
    Anyone trying to promote this agenda (USA) is obviously fear mongering! If the GOP are actually concerned about the future of the USA, they would be well advised to check and inform their sources!!
    Bill

May 8, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  17. Polly

He must be somewhat of a leader himself. He must be a team player in their marriage and is very supportive of her career. Cool.

May 8, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Jasmine in Germany

Is the taxpayer paying for this?

May 8, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. Chugiak Observer

He probably deserves a break from the diva. I wonder if he'll be asked why SarahPac didn't report their first quarter results. They're one of the few that found a loophole....does that surprise anyone?

May 8, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  20. Linda

A great Governor and First Dude!

May 8, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. Mara Lynn

Maybe she is not attending these functions because she has nothing to wear?

May 8, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. JaneB3

The "First Dude" must be looking for a Hollywood connection wanting to do a movie about snow mobiling.

May 8, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  23. windrider

This is just so ... tacky... and wildly inappropriate. In most states, the governor's spouse is mostly invisible and has little or no political standing of his/her own. Only at the Presidential level does the First Spouse's role become more visible and political by nature.

I don't argue that Governor Palin made the proper decision to remain home to deal with the state's emergencies. But sending her husband as a surrogate was just plain inappropriate. This woman continues to be remarkably tone deaf to the nuances of national politics.

May 8, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. Len

The Republican party has NO chance in 2010 and 2012.

May 8, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  25. Peter

Sarah Palin knows deep in her shallow heart, ( that's an oxymoron if I ever saw one), that she aint welcome. Why else do you think she aint going to Washington? Don't be fooled by this flood thing in Alaska she has to go to. How long does a little fly-over, drive by-meet and greet take anyway? Come on now Sarah....LOL

May 8, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |