May 11th, 2009

White House distances itself from Wanda Sykes joke

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs commented Monday on recent remarks by comedienne Wanda Sykes.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Obama administration is putting some distance between itself and comedienne Wanda Sykes, who accused Rush Limbaugh of treason at the annual White House Correspondents Dinner on Saturday and joked that Limbaugh was "the 20th hijacker."

Asked what the president thought of Sykes' remark, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said, "I don't know how guests get booked. That's a White House Correspondents' Association thing."

"I haven't talked specifically with him," Gibbs said of the president. "But my guess is that I think there are a lot of topics that are better left for serious reflection rather than comedy. I think there is no doubt that 9/11 is part of that."

Filed under: Robert Gibbs • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Wake-me-when-it's-over

Anyone who knows or thinks he knows Rush Limbaugh will readily tell you, that Rush is a PATRIOT of the highest order.

May 11, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. worriedmom

Although I am not that fond of Obama, I can tell you this was suppose to be a light-hearted dinner. I think sometimes all of us just have to let loose and let some things go. I am more concerned about what is going on in our country than to worry about what a comedian said. I personally don't wish anything bad upon anyone, if I like them or not, but I really believe she doesnt honestly feel that way, it was just a joke. Let's leave it like that and get back to business.

May 11, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. moose hunter

I'm not a wanda sykes fan at all but what she said about limbaugh is fair game. limbaugh is always saying any and everything he likes about anybody so where is slap on the hand for him? There is non because everybody in the media is afraid to address his nasty evil remarks so they just laugh them off. Limbaugh is a evil nasty man and he and that idiot cheney need to shut up.

May 11, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. bruce morningstar

Sykes is right. Limbaugh is about as American as Adolph Hitler. He is a hatemonger that thinks he is better than everyone else, when in truth he an illiterate moron. He never deals in total facts, and delivers opinions designed to make him more money. The sad fact is that there are some people in this country that are uneducated enough to believe his drivel. Limbaugh and his ilk will take this country into a dictatorship of the extremists on the right, none of whom are even close to being Christians.

May 11, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  5. Gerda Edwards

"Asked what the president thought of Sykes' remark"
    ==========================
    As has been widely reported, Pres Obama laughed about the kidney failure part. So we already know. Unless you don't consider laughing as laughing, just like you don't consider a bow, a bow.

"a lot of topics that are better left for serious reflection rather than comedy. I think there is no doubt that 9/11 is part of that."
    ==========================
    Fine. But what about pulling quotes out of context and using that to make a joke about someone dying? Is THAT better left for "serious reflection"?

May 11, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. AGirl

Please, Obama laughed at the joke. The video doesn't lie...

May 11, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Eileen

Sheesh, lighten up Frances!!

Apparently republicans weren't born with a humor gene.

They're acting like spoiled children – if they don't want to hear the humor,, stay home.

I personally thought she was hilarious.

May 11, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. phoenix86

Where's the "righteous indignation" of the fringe left? Imagine if someone at joked that Chirs Mathews was the 20th hijacker?

More leftist double standards.

May 11, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. Thomas

There is a thin line between what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Perhaps a mistake was made. In any case, let's not make such a big deal about it.

It was a stupid joke that, frankly, was not all that funny. Nothing more. let's move on to something more important.

May 11, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. Ivan Schiff

What else needs to be said, Wanda said it all.

May 11, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  11. Yes we can joke?

I loved it! Rush is a joke and the reThugican party should be tried for treason!

May 11, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Megan

Wanda is hilarious overall! And Rush does commit treason behind the first amendment banner. One of these days he'll cross the line like yelling Fire in a crowded theatre. She is a comedian, she made a joke, many of us thought it was appropriate and humorous, if not hilarious. People need to get over it.

May 11, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  13. The Party of NO stood calmly by for 8 year while the shrub raped and pillaged America, so, why would we listen to you now?

This is just one entertainer joshing another!

Where is your "sense of humor" Rush?

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

May 11, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  14. Had It

Grand Obstructionist Party led by Limbaugh/Cheney/Rove can't stand any semblence of the truth.

I thought she was funny.

May 11, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. white female

I don't see where the White House should have anything to say about Wanda's remarks about Rush. The Media or the consevr..or repubs had nothing to say about Rush's remarks about the President and his admin. Suck it up losers. Let's talk about getting our troops home from that God for saken place that Bush left us in.
    I so hope President Obama would bring all the Troops home today.
    May God help cheney and those that put us there in Iraq. I shure hope they can sleep at night. Rev. Wright was so right about the Old Rich White Men of the pass party. It's All coming back to bit (USA) in the behind because of there stupid let's take, we want what they have all of it. How childish will you greedy people ever change.

May 11, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. sanchia maimi fl

the joke was funny

May 11, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Felicia

Lol, i think ms sykes got rush good. Serves him right for being such a racist pig. I wish she could;ve dedicated a whole hour to trashin the fat pig, " ugh" i can't stand him.

May 11, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. gl, Pittsburgh

and the Repubicans party need to distance themself from Cheneny and Rush. Not one Republicans condemed these two fools.

May 11, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Eleanor

Actually, I think Wanda only missed the mark by a little! The true black heart and soul of the Greedy Obstructionist Perverts is not the hate-filled Blimpbaugh, but the evil Darth-Dick Cheney! Now THERE'S your real 20th hijacker!!

For 8 years he hijacked the Vice Presidency, the Presidency...our nation's security...the Constitution...the Bill of Rights...the Geneva Conveniton...our rights to privacy...our past as non-torturers...our moral standing...and our nation's international image on the world stage, and our collective respectability as a law-abiding nation of good, and noble-hearted people who don't start unjustified wars of agression, imperialism, and to steal another nation's natrual resources!

If Wanda, or anyone else in this country is looking for someone to blame...the respnsible party, then I think we all know WHO that person is...Cheney!!! Why he is not already in prison, I can not imagine! But if there is any justice in our nation...he will be, and soon!

May 11, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

Another interesting contrast, Bush would have been skewerd by CNN and the MSM If someone like Dennis Miller had made a joke like that about Al Franken and he had laughed at it.

May 11, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. white female

GO Wanda, you were great. No one other than you could have pull this one of. GREAT JOB..... Now let see Rush go toe to toe with you he and Sean Hannity. Everytime Sean Hannity say negaitive things about the First Lady, I just want to tell him how disrepectful he is, but in a way that I know only you could put to him. He needs a good Sista beat down.LOL HA HA HA.

May 11, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. Bill from Dallas

I guess the Presdent should stay a safe distance from Wanda's remarks but I must say I thought it was brillant on her part. Same stuff that Rush and his goons dish out everyday and everyone says "he's just a comedian" It the right wing nuts can't take Wanda then too bad. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

May 11, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Paul from Phoenix

Bush got lambasted for his joke about looking for WMD's because his war was leading to deaths.

Obama should get equal criticism for laughing at Sykes's joke claiming Limbaugh was the 20th terrorist, which led to 3,000 deaths.

Fair is fair. In reality, neither Bush nor Obama should be in trouble. David Feherty is in trouble also for a joke about Pelosi, Reid and Bin Laden (google it). All three jokes were funny, but everyone's panties get in such a bunch over political correctness.

THe Rat Pack would never have survived in today's time.

May 11, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. Tulsa

OK, they have to distance themselves from the remark, but I DON'T! I'm with ya Wanda!

May 11, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. rachel

Oh stop it Barck laughed and it was funny.

May 11, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |