May 12th, 2009

Alexander backs Crist Senate bid

(CNN) – Senate Republican Conference Chair Lamar Alexander was quick to endorse Florida Gov. Charlie Crist's Senate run Tuesday.

"The thought of Governor Crist becoming Senator Crist is welcome news," the Tennessee senator said in a statement. "Three years into his first term as Governor, he's the most popular elected official in Florida's history because of his outstanding career as a no-nonsense attorney general, a progressive education commissioner, and a fiscally conservative chief executive who last year led Florida to its largest property-tax decrease ever. The U.S. Senate needs Charlie Crist, and I'll do all I can to help him get there."

Filed under: Charlie Crist
  1. GOP = 21st century dodo

All that's left of the GOP is the base. They've been calling Crist a RINO for a very long time. I think his toughest fight will come not from his Democratic opponent, but from the social conservatives that form the foundation of the GOP.

May 12, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. Gene

I would happily welcome Crist to the senate. He's one of the few republicans who's actually willing to work with the new administration. This could be a good step to bipartisanship. But I bet once he gets into the senate, the RNC will roast him alive as soon as he shows support for any of Obama's initiatives.

May 12, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. a southern progressive moving north

the largest property tax decrease combined with no state income tax has done the exact opposite of progressed the states education.. every county in republican red northeast florida depends on state funding to help with their education budget and crist has taken that funding away.... so i am not sure what senator alexander considers to be progressive in regards to education, unless he means by taking the tools away from the teachers and schools and letting them fend for themselves, progressing the districts and teacher into more personal debt to ensure that the future of the state has a proper education... crist and education should NEVER be used in the same sentence...

oh and cant forget the republican reds in ne florida are blaming president obama for those budget cuts.. (shaking head in sadness)

May 12, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. cjr

Sorry Charlie – there is no way I will ever vote for a republican again. Besides – Rush and Dick won't let you run Stay in Florida where you are appreciated.

May 12, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Sammy from FL

I think this is dainger for the GOP ....

Crist did what other conservatives didn't want to do (even being a Governor and so FAR AWAY from D.C and all)....

NoObama will grab him if he gets closer ... BIG no no...

do NOT vote for this imbecile!!!

May 12, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. ANGIE IN PA

I sure Hope Crist Knows what hes doing He Is a Moderate he works with the President Limbaugh will Destroy him!

May 12, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. Ray

What a joke, "the most popular elected official in Florida's history" Alexander sure doesn't know much about Florida's history. maybe he should have used Bob Graham's name instead. Bob beat Closet Charile by 40 %.

May 12, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. EBC, MD

Crist is quickly sinking already...

May 12, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Jeff

Go Crist Go!!!! You not only have the Dems against you, but now you have the Reps against you too!

May 12, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Georgia Gal

It's funny. Charlie Crist has all of these people endorsing him, but if I lived in the State of Florida, none of these would mean "squat" to me, because none of them live in Florida. I don't usually listen to endorsements very much, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't give a hoot what someone from out of state thought. I'd care what people in my own state thought.

May 12, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. Randy

If Crist is defeated in the primary I will switch to the Democratic Party – I have had enough of the right wing zealots and their ideas

May 12, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. Michelle

Largest Tax Decrease ever, who are you kidding? It amounted to a $100.00 savings which would have been more if they had assessed by the declining assessed value. Let's talk about the award to the Hardrock for additional gambling. If they had not limited it to the Hardrock only, and had allowed it statewide (like Las Vegal) open to competition, the real estate problem in Florida would have been solved. Makes you wonder! And now he wants to be Senator. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. David

This is like dysfunctional adults adopting a child trying to avoid a divorce(moderates vs extremist), thinking the child will magically make everything better. Crist will just become a target no matter what he does.

May 12, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Pragmatic

Wonder how many of the evangelicals, reading quickly will assume that its Christ running for a senate seat .. not Crist.

May 12, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  15. Tariq

Now there is a man Democrats and I can fear, Gov. Crist.

If the Republican party had any sense or logic in their thinking, they would push someone like Gov. Crist forward ahead of Governors making a fuss about stimulus money and wanting to secede from the United States....you know who you are Jindal, Palin, and Perry.

Crist is so popular amongst Republican and Democrats alike even though he accepted the stimulus money for Florida. I don't know how others thought rejecting would help their presidential bid.

I voted for Obama and I have no reason not to vote for Crist 2012

May 12, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. donttreadonme

No way will the conservatives turn on him now......Repubs know that any conservative is a good conservative. Christ will be elected easily.

He maybe on to something...support Obama's crazy leftist policies and then when they fail turn against him. It worked for the dems with Bush it could work for the repubs as well.

May 12, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. Steve, New York City

Yeah – go Charlie (sorry I can't vote for you)!

May 12, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  18. Stu-Florida

I have lived in Florida for many years. The insurance industry is totally out of control (They're probably funding Crists Senate bid) Taxes are also out of control. The local county governments were spending money like drunken sailors when the property values were up. Now they're all crying that their general funds are running dry. Funny how the taxes haven't dropped like the property values. Not funny how our insurance rates keep climbing. It's disgusting…

I voted for Crist because of his insurance stance. It turns out it was just political fodder… as usual from the Republicans. He really hasn't done much for this state. This is why many are leaving for the Carolinas and Georgia. They can't take it anymore. There are many other states much more accomodating to the citizens than Florida. Keep the sun!

May 12, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Jupiter Jones

Gov Christ is the last great hope of the Republican party. The party isn't in danger of going the way of the Whigs if it moderates; it has already gone the way of the Whigs because of intellectual stagnation (sorry Mr. Huckabee). When will the Republicans realize that the likes of Cheney, Limbaugh, et al. are anchors, not bouys? Welcome to the 21st century guys.

May 12, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  20. Natasha in tally

No way no how no Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  21. Ellen

As a Floridian, and a state employee, let me be a voice of reason – Mr. Alexander left out the part where he is cutting 2% of every state employee paycheck 45k and over in his quest to balance the budget, a budget in disarray due to the decrease in property taxes. Robbed from Peter to pay Paul... Crist isn't vetoing that idea – but he will lose my vote because of it. I hope others will do the same. As a governor, Crist was okay, but there is no way I will vote for a Republican to join the anti-Obama chorus...

May 12, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. Dan, TX

Good we need a moderate republican who can work with Obama. If Crist wins, that's good for democrats.

May 12, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. Frank, Las Vegas

Since all that's left in the GOP is the 21% (and shrinking) extreme right wing, how can the GOP possibly support Crist? So the question becomes, will we be watching Charlie pander to the extreme right? Let's watch how his positions on issues change, now that's change the GOP can believe in. Will he be seeking approval from the parties leader, Rush? Let the games begin.

May 12, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Marty, FL

As a Floridian, I can attest to being incredibly disappointed with Gov. Crist (ex: gerrymandering our primaries, property insurance subsidies, "drop like a rock" Amendment 1, European trip/honeymoon with taxpayer funds, education cuts, private jets from special interests, etc.). Crist can certainly talk the talk, but he does not walk the walk.

As far as other considerations, Marco Rubio is too socially conservative, which has caused too many problems within my former GOP.

My vote will going to Congressman Kendrick Meek for US Senate in FL next year. He has the right balance of moderation and public service for all Floridians.

May 12, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  25. dan

OK. He cut taxes. So that qualifies him as a great Republican. The question is, what expenses did he cut. How did he balance the budget with less money coming in. Or is he just like every other politician. Spend like a drunken sailor, and let the next guy worry about it.

May 12, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |