May 12th, 2009

Crist announces Senate run

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (CNN) – Florida Gov. Charlie Crist announced Tuesday he would not run for reelection next year, and instead will seek the seat being vacated by retiring GOP Sen. Mel Martinez.

“Our country is facing the most profound public policy questions in our lifetime – questions relating to the economy, taxes, healthcare, the environment and national security,” Crist said in a statement released by his campaign. “The answers to these questions will have a lasting impact on the country we love and the nation we will leave to our children and grandchildren.”

He later added in the statement: “Here in Florida, we’ve shown that when we put people first and work together much can be accomplished, and I intend to bring that same approach to Washington. That is why, after thoughtful consideration with my wife Carole, I have decided to run for the U.S. Senate.”

Crist, a Republican elected governor in 2006, will face former state House Speaker Marco Rubio in the GOP primary.

Rep. Kendrick Meek, North Miami Mayor Kevin Burns and state Sen. Dan Gelber are all seeking the Democratic Senate nomination.

Filed under: Charlie Crist
  1. La-Shanda C. West

Governor Crist make decisions that are beneficial to Floridians on a non-partisan bases. I have faith that if he is elected as a United States Senator, he will continue to improve the lives of his constituents and help to repair our nation's economic system.

May 12, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. Longhorn7

You mean the Bushes are not still in control of Florida? What happened?

May 12, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. Barbara Independent in NY

McCain might have won the election if he had picked Charle Crist as his running mate. Anyway, it was obvious when Crist got married that he would be running for senator.

May 12, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. James

With Charlie being gay, maybe he will have the respect for himself and the full gay community and be open about who is really is!

I can't wait to hear how Rush and all his clowns will react when they realize they are supporting a gay man!

May 12, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. Marty Felseng - FL

Gov Crist will be a fine senator.

May 12, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. Jefe

Ah, one of the good Republicans! He should own any opponent in FL.

May 12, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. donttreadonme

Crist is consevative, check his voting record. I think he made a mistake by backing the stimulus but I am sure he had his reasons.

A conservative is conservative Republicans, we need not split hairs on single issues when we are headed towards a far left nation.

May 12, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  8. Moody

Im a FL resident and liberal democrat & I love Crist! In reality, hes a Democrat who likes to be called Republican andd he's obviously gay. Hes a great guy and I might vote for him... depending on who the Democrat challenger will be.

May 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. FreeNLovIt

Good for him. A man with a conscience to do the right thing.

May 12, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. KF MO

Not to be alarmist, but whoever runs against him will be the anti-Crist

May 12, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. ken in FL

Marc Rubio is a much better selection for our Senator.
    RUBIO 10 !!!!

May 12, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. N.S.

Very liberal democrat in Florida who is a very big fan of Crist! I feel bad for not having voted for him in 2006, but as of now have no qualms about sending him to Washington.

May 12, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Noel

Albeit the fact that I think Crist should stick to his initial occupation, he may be one of the new faces of the GOP, let alone a great senator. I think with him being the next senator, the republicans could re-gain the trust of the American public. However, he'll face many of the Floridian public who disagree with the republicans and are now affiliating with the republicans. With Obama winning Florida in the general election, any republican, let alone Crist, wil face harsh resentment and difficulty with becoming the next senator of Florida.

May 12, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. Anonymous

I'm an Independent that leans Democrat and I like Crist. He should beat out the his primary opponents, and defeat the Democrats by a good margin.

May 12, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  15. flybyshoeing

Did he say he is running as a Republic or a Democrat?

May 12, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Truth

He seems like a good guy but there are secrets that will come out.

May 12, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  17. carlo

That's not reallly a bad thing. I'm a Democrat, but I'd vote for Crist.

May 12, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. Rick in WPB,FL

Even though we all know the whole "marriage" thing was a sham to appease the redical right...so that he could 'at least' be considered for the VP slot, I think that he will come to his senses some day and come out of that dusty closet.

Really Governor, come on in...that water's fine!
    You can make us all proud...we know that's what you want!

May 12, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. marvinj

These guys are a joke so I guess this means Catherine Harris. Is supposed to give a suprise annoucement that she'll be ruuning for governor. We saw this setup coming.

My question for my governor Crist is what have you done for the state of Florida?

He and the Property Appraisers with the help of the tax collectors chose developers / builders over the best interest of Floridians.

Here in Saint Lucie County it is a train wreck. We don't here from these guys until they need our vote. He's washed up before he even starts.

May 12, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Moderate Democrat

Too bad he's in the wrong party. ALL republican policies are outdated and proven to fail. So taking a chance that he endorses even a SINGLE republican core principal is too risky.

We need to choose the best candidate, regardless of party. But unfortunately, republican core values ALWAYS suck and as such there is NEVER a good republican candidate.

May 12, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  21. Bill

supporting gay marriage is far left? i would say opposing it is extremely far right.

May 12, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |