May 12th, 2009

Senate Republicans endorse Crist

Cornyn, the head of the NRSC, endorsed Crist's Senate bid.
Cornyn, the head of the NRSC, endorsed Crist's Senate bid.

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (CNN) – The National Republican Senatorial Committee endorsed Florida Gov. Charlie Crist for Senate Tuesday, hoping that a statement of public support will help the governor avoid a potentially bloody primary fight and instead allow him to focus on the 2010 general election.

Crist declared his candidacy for the Senate this morning in a statement released by his campaign. He will face former state House Speaker Marco Rubio in the Republican primary Rubio declared . A Quinnipiac Poll released last month showed that Crist had a commanding lead over Rubio, 54 percent to 8 percent.

Texas Sen. John Cornyn, the NRSC chairman, said he was endorsing the governor for the seat being vacated by retiring GOP Sen. Mel Martinez, because “Charlie Crist is the best candidate in 2010 to ensure that we maintain the checks and balances that Floridians deserve in the United States Senate.”

Rubio announced his candidacy for the Senate last week.

Full Cornyn statement:

“I am pleased today to endorse Governor Charlie Crist for the United States Senate. With his record of reform in Florida, I know that Governor Crist will bring a fresh perspective to Washington in our efforts to fight for lower taxes, less government, and new job creation for all Americans. Charlie Crist is a tireless advocate on behalf of all Floridians and one of only three Governors who earned an ‘A’ from the CATO institute for his efforts to restrain spending and cut taxes last year.

“While I believe Marco Rubio has a very bright future within the Republican Party, Charlie Crist is the best candidate in 2010 to ensure that we maintain the checks and balances that Floridians deserve in the United States Senate. Governor Crist is a dedicated public servant and a dynamic leader, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee will provide our full support to ensure that he is elected the next United States Senator from Florida.”

Filed under: Charlie Crist
  1. anita ms

I'm glad the governor took the stimulus money and he put the people first. I wish all of the GOP would of followed his lead. I am ot a repulican put I do give him that much respect. Maybe he can change the gop nasty ways. See this is the 21st century were not in the old time days anymore its time for yall to get with the program if yall want to build this party back up. women have a right to abortion, I dont support gay marriage but if they want to get married let them, stem cells will help bring cure to sickly people, but GOP just dont get it. Yall always put wealthy first ahead of poor people and thats why we in this mess bcz of George Bush fail policies. Either get with the program GOP or keep dieing on the endangered species list! Get it?wake up and smell the coffee.

May 12, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. donttreadonme

Crist is a social conservative! While he may have supported Obama on the stimulus bill, he is still a conservative. I suggest that Repubs who disagree check his voting record.

This is a great man and he is able to bend when he thinks it is right to do so! True the stimulus was a "major mistake" but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

May 12, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. The Unshrub

Now the republicans can be hopeful with one of 33 senatorial elections coming up. Big Deal!

May 12, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. Ted Tartaglia

I thought an endorsement by a Texas Republican was the kiss of death. I guess even Republicans do not want other Republicans to win.

May 12, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. The black spider

Charly Crist can only hope The Mighty Lord of the GOP Rush Limbaugh goes against him in order to win. His support will be a disaster for him. His polls are up because he is a moderate that support the common sense not the nonsense the GOP is trying to feed day and night the uneducated religious white right wing nuts that constitute their base.

May 12, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  6. dominican mama 4 Obama

I like Crist, he's done a good job in Florida, stood by President Obama. He'll hopefully bring his wisdom and common sense with him to D.C., and show the rest of the boys how to play ball.

May 12, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. Larry from RI

When are Rush, Savage, Coulter, Hannity and Cheney going to throw him under the bus for being a "LIBERAL"?

Maybe they are being more cautious with their self destructive rhetoric after the Specter defection?

May 12, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Pel

Senator Cornyn did what?

I know he has not changed his strips. He is one fraction of a second below a Right Wing Repug. Did he not just say some bad things about Senator Spector? Well I guess he and some of the other Right Wingers saw the writing on the wall, that the same old tired scare tactic were not working anymore. So, he has assumed an outward moderate pose in endorsing Gov Crist.

I say to Gov Crist, don't forget what the Repugs said about you when you accepted the stimulus the President offered. Do not allow yourself to become a figure head like Rep J.C Watts of OK was.

May 12, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. Luke Brown

Cornyn has spent his entire career in the US Senate supporting the disastrous policies of George W. Bush. Tax cuts for the rich, higher deficits, politicizing the Supreme Court, and lying to the American people about a war we never should have started.

Why should anyone care who he supports for anything?

May 12, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Kate in SW Fla

I am a Democrat who voted for Charlie for Governor, and will vote for him for the Senate. It would be so nice if he can take his demeanor with him to Washington and get those nasty Republicans to lighten up. He is a conservative, fine. Frankly, I don't mind conservatives who not only respect those with other opinios, abut actually try to work with them to find good solutions everyone can back . Charlie Crist is like that; I hope he stays that way!

May 12, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  11. Jackie in Dallas

And the support of the Senate Party of No members means ... what, exactly?

May 12, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. Roberttxdem

What a shame that a state as large and populous as Texas has elected such a lackie hack to serve us in the Senate. Since his re-election, Cornyn has done nothing for Texas. He is simply too busy carrying the water for the far right in Washington to realize Texas has become a 50-50 state. His service to the neocons exemplifies his failure to stay in touch with his home state. When he meets with Texans, he talks a great game of representing the people, but actions paint a dramatically different picture. Here's to his last term of office!

May 12, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. Noel

To some Floridians, Charlie Crist has an attitude that will be potent in reconstructing the wicked and greed culture of Washington. If that's the case, then I, a democrat, if I were a floridian, would vote for Crist. if he'll will help Obama in not only supporting his legislature, but also reforming the flaws in it, and not using the regular traditions of the no party, then I would vote for him. However, if his political strategy is mostly pertaining to the Republican Party's harsh resentment, I would definitley not vote for him. And overall, I would like for him to say publicly, that he would never change his political affiliation, referencing to Arlen Spector (no offense).

May 12, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  14. Lori

Wow. Isn't it funny that Republicans (politicans, voters, followers) who opposed President Obama's stimulus bills (even threw tea parties opposing it) are now the ones DEFENDING Crist. I love this. Does this mean that the Republicans are able to vote for a 'socialist' who supported President Obama's so-called 'spending spree' that they allege 'will keep our children enslaved for decades.' Funny, how when their ship is sinking all of a sudden, they adore a man that voted for this 'evil bill'. Desperation, I say. But that's fine. I'll take a moderate Republican that supports our so-called 'fascist' President any day. I can't wait until we're able to throw this in the GOP's face. To vote in someone supporting the President's 'socialist' agenda means that you agree to it. I'm loving this!

May 12, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  15. al

who cares what Cornyn says...??

Marco Rubio is the best candidate...

Crist got married to make it look good ???

May 12, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  16. Lori in St Pete

If you don't live in Florida, you DON'T know charlie. He's a REALLLLY bad choice for Senate. Dan Gelber gets my vote.

May 12, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  17. Minnesotan

I like Charlie Crist and find him extremely relevant for the GOP to get back into their game. But what are they gonna do when it comes out that he is gay? The GOP I, and everyone else knows, would never allow him to be their standard bearer. 2012 is too soon. We need another decade or so before the GOP learns their lesson and stops being the prickish party. Right now they are the party of intolerance.

May 12, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |