May 13th, 2009

Palin inks book deal

Palin has inked a deal to tell her story of the 2008 presidential campaign.
Palin has inked a deal to tell her story of the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin has inked a book deal with HarperCollins to publish her story of an unlikely political career and meteoric rise from small-town mayor to Republican vice presidential candidate.

"There have been so many things written and said through mainstream media that have not been accurate, and it will be nice through an unfiltered forum to get to speak truthfully about who we are and what we stand for and what Alaska is all about," Palin told the Anchorage Daily News Tuesday.

"The idea is to focus on the content of the book and what's coming in terms of me being able to tell my story unrestrained and unfiltered."

Palin would not reveal how much money she is being paid for the likely blockbuster memoir. But earlier this year, the Alaska governor secured the services of Robert Barnett, the Washington lawyer who negotiated highly-profitable book deals for Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Several publishes have estimated Palin could easily fetch $7-11 million for the highly-anticipated book. Reached by CNN, Barnett declined to disclose the terms of the deal.

The book is set to hit shelves in the spring of 2010, only a handful of months before Republican White House hopefuls begin to gear up their presidential primary campaigns.

Palin, who obtained a journalism degree from the University of Idaho, also suggested the book will cover more than her improbable and sometimes bumpy vice presidential bid.

"It will be nice to put my journalism degree to work on this and get to tell my story, Alaska's story. There have been so many unauthorized books and publications that have spoken to somebody else's opinion of who I am what my family represents and what Alaska is all about," she said.

In a statement, HarperCollins President Brian Murray called Palin "one of the most charismatic, inspiring and controversial figures to appear on the national political stage for many years."

"She has a fascinating story to tell, and we look forward to publishing what surely will be a captivating book," he said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. annie

Wow, with all the problems her family has experienced,
    she has time to write a book?

Maybe, if she spent more time with her family, and less on the book,
    they would not have the problems they are experiencing.

Either way. Do we really want to know?

And, has she considered how her actions effect the GOP?

Makes you wonder what the motivation is ?
    Truth or Money?

May 13, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Jared

@Christopher

Let me pass the virtual tissue to you.

I'll buy it and read it. In fact, can we pre-order already?

May 13, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  3. Paul Brewer

It's hard to believe that we'll get anything other than a glossy version of her life from this woman. She is not to be trusted, in my opinion.

May 13, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

While it isn't a book I would be interested in reading, and I doubt she will fare any better than did Elizabeth Edwards in writing her book, the sooner Palin gets it written, the better. She has had enough media attention to last me a lifetime as it is.

May 13, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Rod

Well I read through the comments as best I could and I can't help think that every time Ms. Sarah's name is brought up – the main point about her never is. I do not hate her (as a person) but I do dislike and now distrust the party that almost put her in a position to be a "heartbeat" away from the most powerful position in the world. Talk about the ultimate in cynicism. Try to win an election by running a totally unqualified individual. Why? To stimulate a "base" that didn't know the difference. Now to me, that is sick. Then again that is why that party is in deep trouble today.

May 13, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Patrish

Her own words, huh? Just how many times can you use the phase 'you betcha' in a book? I'm sure someone will buy it, if for nothing else then to count how many times she complains about all the people that are out to get her.

May 13, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. dan in Tucson

Everyone's got a book. and she is not going to 'give away the store'. Don't expect to see any words that will interfere with her aggressive ambitious plans. I won't read it, that's for sure.

May 13, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. John

Palin's book will be a bestseller. This will be the best starting point for her. She has a big future.

May 13, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. Travis

What a joke that she calls it "unrestrained and unfiltered." At the very least it will be edited by a person with a clear and competent command of the English language, a claim she can't make. The way she strings phrases together reminds of a high school student trying to BS his way through a speech he was unprepared for.

May 13, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. Chris, Ohio

As an American I cannot criticize Sarah Palin's choice to write a book (however misguided I may think it is). All I can say is THANK GOD I don't have to buy/read it. At the beginning I really thought the Republicans had made an interesting choice in their candidate but it only took one speech to realize my mistake. Between the nasally whiny voice, the "cutesy" flirticious winking and her inability to form a coherent sentence I realized the Republicans were going down in flames in this election. Please just go back to Alaska and spend time with your family and doing the job you were elected to do!

May 13, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Sammy

Ok she got a book deal. No biggie because notable people get them all the time. However, she should shut down the drive to get people to contribute to pay her legal costs associated with troopergate. It would be good publicity and the costs are small compared to what she will get out of the deal.

May 13, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. Francheska

I do not understand what Palin could say that would be new. Her life is constantly on television, people know her just like they know a neighbor and what the news/media leaves out...the tabloids pick up. I do not think it will be a very thick book or even a thought provoking read. Maybe she will write one of those books I read as a child, where you could chose the path the characters take and make the story come out several different ways based on the choices YOU, the reader, made for the character. ;-) That might interest me.

May 13, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Ray

She has every right to write it and I have every right to laugh at the very thought of her doing so.

May 13, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. Ian

The very fact that so many people in this forum are responding with such passion shows that this was a good deal for Palin and her publisher to make. Like her or hate her, she has become a political, social, and media icon – people are very interested by her. Many people on this forum, especially those who claim to despise her, are equally fascinated with her; if they weren't, they wouldn't be so passionate about her!

I think the book will do well.

May 13, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. Justin

"It will be nice to put my journalism degree to work" This airhead couldn't name one magazine she reads. Why should she start putting her degree to work now?

May 13, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. Moorefield

First off..I applaud Sarah Palin for her guts and determination. I am disappointed with how many people call her stupid. She has been a great Governor for her home state, a devoted Mom and wife, and an excellent candidate for the conservative Republicans in this country. I believe she presented herself with class and dignity. The media slammed her every step of the way – they were too focused on babying their little darling. It sure is interesting how the media ignored all of Obama's shortcomings – as in he had no actual experience. He is a gifted speaker, but so is Palin. At least Palin was Governor before her name appeared on the ticket. At least she had some executive experience. I'm thinking the liberal elite – the likes of the anti-American Olberman and Rachel Maddow – are so hard on Governor Palin because they fear her. And they should!! Obama will fail, and real Americans will be thristy for a real American to lead them once more. Palin 2012!

May 13, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. Kevin Denver Colorado

I've decided that these republican posters simply don't know any smart people. They really have NO CONCEPT of the difference between a below average public school product like Palin and a constitutional law professor like our beloved president. Thankfully it will not matter as they will benefit from the wise and thoughtful decisions being made on their behalf. Though I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a thank you so I'll just say....

YOUR WELCOME!

May 13, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Trang

Well, might as well let her vent in her book. Yes, let your anger all out in there. If people still don't believe you – it's no longer the media's fault ... it's just that people don't believe you. It's you.

May 13, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. KJ

She won't say how much she is being paid. But I know how much I would pay for a copy! That's my two-cents worth.

May 13, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. MMorrisson

Isn't this the kind of thing you usually do after you're out of office?! I really don't think taxpayers should be paying her to write a book!

May 13, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  21. obambi

It is easy to see why Dems do not like SP. She is the brightest star to come along in politics in a long time–more experience than BO, too.

May 13, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. Coffetawk

It will be one of those big coffee table books – big glossy pictures from her view of Russia in Alaska. Some commentary to go with each photo.

May 13, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. Ann R.

I think it is wonderful she is writing an autobiography. I believe she is a breath of fresh air for the GOP. Give her the chance she deserves. Everyone else seems to write books about themselves but suddenly she is critized for making a book deal to write a book. I will be buying this book as soon as it comes from the printers.
    Go, Sarah....

May 13, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Jessica Eyde

Good for You, Sarah! You can now tell your story the way the news media should have been telling it all along – the way it is, the way it was, and the way it will be for you in the future. Our very best wishes from Montana are extended to you and especially in 2012. Our hats are off to you for a job well done in your Vice Presidential run. No one can ever take that away from you. We admire you, we are proud to support you, and we know we can count on you in the future. Thanks. Jessie from Butte, Montana.

May 13, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. Veronica

LOL – I hope they dedicate a battalion of editors to fix the larger than average amount of grammatical errors, and spelling errors that are bound to be abundant.

Well, this is one book I know I'll be bypassing ...

May 13, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |