May 14th, 2009

Cornyn expects Hutchison to resign this fall

Hutchison is mulling a run for governor.
Hutchison is mulling a run for governor.

(CNN) - National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn said Thursday he expects fellow Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison will resign her seat "this fall sometime" to focus on a run for governor, according to the Houston Chronicle.

That would set up a special election in the spring of 2010 that could prove to be a headache for Republicans as they struggle to keep Democrats from getting a filibuster-proof 60 votes in the Senate.

"We certainly can't afford to lose that [Hutchison] seat," he said.

Hutchison has yet to formally announce she will challenge Gov. Rick Perry for the GOP gubernatorial nomination. But the third-term senator announced an exploratory committee in December, and already has a Web site and staff in place, ready for a primary campaign.

Several Texas Democrats are already gearing up for a hypothetical special election to replace Hutchinson. That list includes Houston Mayor Bill White, who has raised more than $2 million for the race.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison
  1. gary davis Harbor Oregon

good things comes to those who wait
    hope the Dems can do it and put someone in that will do a good job

May 14, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. TW Harris

Kay – you have my vote for governor. You have done a great job all these years.

May 14, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Sniffit

"We certainly can't afford to lose that [Hutchison] seat,"

Yeah, well, the rest of us can't afford for you to keep it.

May 14, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Bev - NYC

Had McCain chosen Hutchinson to run for VP he may have had a chance. Texas hasn't has a competent Governor since Ann Richardson. I still remember her "Poor George" convention speech.

May 14, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. Proud American

The old bat should have did it years ago.....

May 14, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Goldenmom

Many of us here in Texas will be pulling for Kay. Not because we want her but because we can no longer stand Perry and the Christian Taliban.

Perry just tried to put a woman on the Board of Pardons and Paroles who does not have a degree and her only claim to fame is she tried to shut down a sex toy store.

Salary 95,000.00 per year. Oh did I mention she also counsels young women against abortion.

May 14, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. ANGIE IN PA

Good another seat for the Democrats!

May 14, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. Cali J

Hey CNN,

Why can't we comment on Pelosi? Afraid of offending your Liberal base here?

New catch phrase: Pelosi lied, Terrorist cried.

May 14, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. mypitts2

Go Kay.

May 14, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  10. peakarack

I just love how the republican just keep on fighting each others all the time. hahahaha!!!!!!

May 14, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. The Unshrub

The Democrats already have a filibuster-proof Senate. It's just the republicans keep playing political games to interfere with a constitutionally elected Senator.

May 14, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. TM

If another Republican Governor is in the cards for Texas (as I believe) then KBH will make a far better one than Gov. Goodhair. I may even end up supporting her. Right now, Bill White has my nod for her Senate seat. I think a well-known, well-funded Democrat has a decent chance at winning the next time around.

Mr. White should run some clips from his Hurricane Ike news conferences in his political ads – his calm, strength and compassion impressed me greatly.

May 14, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. Cue the hate-filled responses

Typical CNN!!! Pelosi lies through her teeth today, but do you see any comment boards for that article??? Nope. Just a comment board on Gov. Palin defending Miss California.

Let me get this straight...allow hundreds of hate filled vile comments about Gov. Palin for the Lefties or allow a few dozen very well written articulate commentaries on Speaker Pelosi LYING AGAIN to the American people.

I'm glad CNN is not trying to act like they are fair and balanced anymore. CNN as morphed into MSNBC right before our eyes.

May 14, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. Josh In Austin

I don't think a fillibuster proof majority is something that is good for the country. First of all I, myself want a two party system. Sorry, but I didn't like how One-Party Systems are set up (Ex. Soviet Union, Nazi Germany). If the Democrats want to pass something they should at least be able to convince one person out of 40 from the other side. If its really better for the country then they should be able to.

May 14, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. Carl from Houston

I just hope Governor Perry is removed from office by Texas voters.

The only one qualified to do so is Senator Hutchinson.

The mayor of my town is running, but he's been a pathetic mayor. Kinky Friedman will run as a Democrat as well and probably beat the mayor in the primary.

Many Texans are sick of Governor Perry and his endless obsession with building the Trans Texas Corridor, a world wide project in which he was invited to the Bildeburg group to talk about it with the other most powerful world businessmen and women.

My only complaint is that Ron Paul isn't running for Governor. I understand his fight is a Federal one, not a state one, but someone like Ron Paul would make other states take notice.

May 14, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. yuri

In politics everything goes and is up for grabs.

May 14, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. Farid Shakur

Democrats don't care!!!

May 14, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. Jack - Denton, Texas

Ask the good Governor who he invited over to the mansion and said that he would make it all better for him since he was having problems in his home life. Oh, he is such a fake.

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  19. Republican+desire for Obama change= "OBAMACAN"

Go Kay Go!

We can't wait for you to get back home & straighten out the mess!

May 14, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |