May 14th, 2009

Limbaugh hits back at McCain's mom

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Thursday to recent comments by Roberta McCain, the mother of Republican Sen. John McCain.

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh responded to Roberta McCain's criticism of his tough radio persona Thursday, joking over the fact "McCain's mother is dumping on me."

"She is absolutely right" in her assessment that that she belongs to a different Republican Party than he does, Limbaugh said during his radio show: "The Republican Party she belongs to gets shellacked election after election after election."

In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Wednesday, the outspoken 97-year-old mother of Sen. John McCain said, to cheers from the audience, that Limbaugh "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to."

"I belong to the Republican Party," she said. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

On his show Thursday, Limbaugh made clear he found the criticism quite amusing.

"Sending Sen. McCain's mother out to dump on me?" Limbaugh said, laughing. "I love it."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. george

Rush is a talking ass!

May 14, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. tinri

Anybody else notice that the smaller the republican party gets, the bigger and fatter Rush Limbug gets?

May 14, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Scoobydob

lush limpballs and the other morons in his clique are responsible for the resurgence of the Democrats in spite of the inept leadership of 'numbnuts' nancy pelosi and harry 'hat in hand' reid. An amazing feat for which President Obama and other forward thinking democrats should be understatedly ecstatic. Thanks lush!

May 14, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. pssst .....FYI

Republicans dont read CNN comments.....they dont goto CNN at all

Theyre over at FOX ....its their only news outlet.

and the Social Conservatives....they dont do any news......just the Bible and Gung Ho magazine.

May 14, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  5. jon c. sprowl

rush is right. its to bad that our country is being run by a bunch of liberal marxis who are following the path of internal ditruction.why are you people so stupid that you cant see whats happining ?

May 14, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. DougDC

Only Rush would pick on a 97 year old. LOL Classic

May 14, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. Michael

re: Mike: "Rush is an inspiration an a breath of fresh air.
    I only wish he was our president and not that socialistic dictator. Just maybe we would then have a great country that our children can inherit. I think the USA is doomed and will not survive 4 years of an Obama presidency."

How is it that every Republican forgets what we had before Bush came into office and what he left us with? If he'd used the MBA he received from Yale, MAYBE we wouldn't be in this mess. Then again, these same people forget what the supposedly great Reagan did as well, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

May 14, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. Corey P

Seriously, if Rush thinks that he is the face of the GOP, let him put himself on a ticket somewhere and own up to his fat mouth.

I believe that he will be beaten miserably, and his true calling as an entertainer will be revealed.

What a blow hard.

May 14, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. ap

Way to go Republiklans! Picking on a 97 year old woman. Lovely.

May 14, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. Bitter Republican, party of no I mean one, your table is ready!

Next week: Watch Rush punch babies in the face and drown puppies for being socialists.

May 14, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. John

I liked the joke at the WH Correspondents dinner that he was the 20th hijacker on 9/11 but was so strung out on Oxycontin that he missed his flight. I wonder if the thugs that support this clown get their Oxy at a discount.

May 14, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. Alan in Marietta

Funny how Rush immediately responds to a 93 year old, but didn't have anything to say about Wanda Sykes. The guy is a PUNK!

May 14, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Saad

This guy cracks me up.... He is my source of comedy when I need it the most. But his followers make me depressed. They are my fellow Americans. Rush doesn't affect me but fellow Americans do. And some I personally know and love dearly. I know they are nice people but to be Rush follower, one has to have something missing in life.

May 14, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. jack debrot, new york, new york

good for rush! the routine is now established. someone who is related to a politician, such as mc cain's mom or daughter or someone who had a job with a covert agency or the army, etc., wants to get his/her 15 minutes of fame. so they attack limbaugh/bush/cheney/palin/the army/the cia. the liberal press gleefully picks it up and gives it wide coverage. this is all nonsense. these people don't know what they are talking about and shouldn't get 15 seconds, much less 15 munutes.

and how about that pelosi. first she denied being briefed about interrogation techniques, now she says she was briefed but was misled by the cia. yada yada yada!

May 14, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  15. Chris

She belonged to the GOP that produced men such as Dwight Eisenhower.....and she probably was just born after the reign of Teddy Roosevelt......Republicans worth the mention.....who by the way fought wars effectively, stopped wars, & taxed and spent..and built the America we know today.....
    Teddy Roosevelt had the gumption to speak of universal healthcare, and confront the massive corporations engaged in corruption(known as the trust buster) of his time......and give America the "Square Deal".......He also made the panama canal Deal, and grew government w/ the FDA.....He was concerned about the tearing down of our Pristine environment, and set up national Parks like Yellowstone, and set apart the Grand Canyon....
    Eisenhower built the interstate highways, and was involved in peace talks for the korean war.......he sent U.S. troops to intergrate a Liitle Rock Arkansas highschool.
    She knew far better republicans than we knew.....Rush you're right she's not part of the GOP that exist now.....

May 14, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. Bob

@ John
    CNN Please convey my message to Rush Limbaugh, I want him to respond to me:
    My Message to Rush Limbaugh:
    Limbaugh you are Loud Mouth Donkey. Bray Bray Bray :)
    Limbaugh you Look Like a Monkey, You Talk like a Donkey. :) Bray Bray
    ______________________________________________________

REPUBLICANS LOVE TO HEAR DONKEY'S BRAY :) THAT IS WHY LIMBAUGH BRAYS :)

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Free-thinker

Rush is so much louder with a Dem in the white house. He's loving all the attention he gets just for saying something outrageous. And I am loving all the turmoil he is causing amongst conservatives. Keep up the ridiculous comments Rush! The rifts you create only strengthen the liberal agenda. And PLEASE continue to preach about what a true conservative is to those people that need to be told what to think. The more you define who belongs in "your" party the more rifts you cause within a party with a lack of direction.

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. KJS

You ever been on a road and the only radio you can pick up is some right wing loon babbling on and on about this conspiracy or that nonsense? That's what the entire Republican party sounds like now.

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  19. Sniffit

I flatulate more intelligent hot air than that which emanates from this bloviating blowhard's facial orifice.

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Marge

I have to make one more comment. One of the posters say rush has ideas. Yes he does and they all come out of his butt.

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  21. JW

Rush is empowered by cnn for more audience in addition to the radio show he is generating revenue for. He is an entertainer shellacking his radio show for God sake. McCain's Mom is a life time republican and has twice Rush's age of experience. Leave her alone already!!

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. sara

I am a registered Dem but vote Independent. Megan McCain is the voice and hope of the Republican Party. They would be smart to support her right now...but they won't...too bad for us all. Regardless of our polictical view, we need bright, caring visionaries running our country. Megan is the real deal...

May 14, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  23. Scott

The Republicans need to be smart, start another party for the fringe Limbaugh-Born again base and then Start a Libertarian Republican Party, based on LIbertarian, social-neutral, economic conservative values. Perhaps Romney could run on that ticket.

I think then the 20% or so could stay in teh GOP or start a COP (Christian Old Party) and then the new Repubilcans can get out of the culture war, and attract Independents. Then we'll have a new 2 party system!

This is the only way the Republican Ideals will work and survive, unite them to Libertarianism.

May 14, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. theo

He's off his meds apparently.

May 14, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. patriot

Hey, hey, hey, people! It's just entertainment . This is how Republicans entertain themselves.

May 14, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |