May 14th, 2009

Limbaugh hits back at McCain's mom

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Thursday to recent comments by Roberta McCain, the mother of Republican Sen. John McCain.

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh responded to Roberta McCain's criticism of his tough radio persona Thursday, joking over the fact "McCain's mother is dumping on me."

"She is absolutely right" in her assessment that that she belongs to a different Republican Party than he does, Limbaugh said during his radio show: "The Republican Party she belongs to gets shellacked election after election after election."

In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Wednesday, the outspoken 97-year-old mother of Sen. John McCain said, to cheers from the audience, that Limbaugh "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to."

"I belong to the Republican Party," she said. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

On his show Thursday, Limbaugh made clear he found the criticism quite amusing.

"Sending Sen. McCain's mother out to dump on me?" Limbaugh said, laughing. "I love it."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Matthew (Reading, PA)

Alexander Mooney:

STOP WRITING ARTICLES ABOUT EVERYTHING RUSH LIMBAUGH SAYS!!

why have you not written anything on the ticker about what keith olbermann spews every single night on msnbc??? each of them are on the extreme sides of the party and each are talking everyday. but for some reason you only post what Rush says, why?????

May 14, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. Steve M

Archie Bunker....ah I mean Rush Limbaugh (excuse me, you know they look so much alike now!) is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this country.

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Independant Voter

Man, is he a jacka$$.
    As if the Republicans have been losing because they've been too inclusive all this time.

Yes, Rush, what the Republicans have really needed all along was to assimilate themselves into clone-like bots who think like you!
    Ha!

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. walleye

Has the Oxyi-Tard given up attacking the Libs? Now he's going after 100 year old ladies. I hope she beats him with her cane.

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. Mathew

Please, no more news stories about Rush Limbaugh or Dick Cheney. I've heard enough from both, and am no longer interested in their thoughts.

I'm sure Charles Manson would love to keep speaking his mind, but everyone ignores him–let's do the same for Rush and Dick. They've had their 15 seconds.

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. opeluboy

I'm surprised Rush did not accuse her of faking old age.

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. Ryan Wing

Wait a second ... it was Limbaugh and Bush's extreme neo-con party that got shelacked in 2008 .... eight years of extremism at the cost of common sense is why they lost.

I'm enjoying Limbaugh and his party as they become a black hole. I'd vote for a civil and responsible Republican party any day, but as long as Limbaugh is at the reigns, it ain't happening.

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Ryan

LOL, which republican party is Rush in that has been winning elections lately. This guy is pretty silly

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. RushLimbaugh is a big fat idiot

rush limbaugh is a big fat idiot.

May 14, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. MING

I think I want to be a democrat....too much drama in the GOP party!

May 14, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Rush Rove Cheney

Limpballs taking on a 97 yr old woman.....and he is way overmatched.

Will ol'oxycontin breath ever shut up????

Rush thinks that his audience is the "true" face of America.......does he really??/... or is he just milking all of this for ratings....my bet is the money honey because Rush is into the cash

May 14, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Annette

Goodness, this man, has a BIG MOUTH!

May 14, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. Crock

Rush, is it remotely possible in your mind, that you are the reason for the "shellacking"

May 14, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  14. John

CNN Please convey my message to Rush Limbaugh, I want him to respond to me:

My Message to Rush Limbaugh:

Limbaugh you are Loud Mouth Donkey. Bray Bray Bray :)

Limbaugh you Look Like a Monkey, You Talk like a Donkey. :) Bray Bray

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. John in Tampa

The Republican Party SHE belongs to gets shellacked time and again? Which one is Rush in then? Some alternate reality where they win?

And tell us, Rush, how narrow you imagine the 4th Commandment.

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. Robin

Sheesh Rush, she is 97 years old and has a ton of life experience. Leaver her alone!

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  17. Get Rid of Rush

This guy is a joke. He only represents a small portion of the Republican party, and this is the part that needs to wake up and change their ways. The good Republicans need to kick him out of their party.

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. mypitts2

Rush's tone gets to the problem with the right-wing. There are not two Republican parties, one belonging to him and one to her. There is only one. They all stand together or fall apart. They've chosen the latter.

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Shannon

Is there nothing this man won't respond to?? You know most people would just let it go, but not Rush. I feel like I went back in time about 20-25 years and I'm in high school or junior high.

And about getting "shellacked". I hate to be the one to break it to Rush, but the reason the GOP is getting shellacked is not because they are too moderate, but because they're so far to the right that nobody except the ultra conservative, which represents a fairly small portion of the population in this country agrees with them.

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Steve, New York City

Why doesn't Limbaugh find a nice, dark alley, where he can pop his drugs in peace, leaving the public finally free of this repulsive slug!

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted)

@ nice!..... How funny! You know it could be........ TRUE! Thanks for the giggle!

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. Jose

The headline says it all: Limbaugh hits back at McCain's mom.

If he had any dignity he would say nothing, insult or no insult.

May 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  23. Peter E

Limbaugh and his version of a 'republican' party has turned their back on real conservatism and drove the party off a cliff. They gave up basic conservative principles of responsible budgets, non-interventionism, and respect for privacy in favor of Bush and Cheney's big government liberal neoconservatism. And they are constantly trying to hide that fact with their lies and hypocrisy. Now they claim it is somehow not Bush and the neocons' fault that republicans were thrown out in 2006 and took a further dive in 2008? Limbaugh needs to shut his mouth and learn history!

May 14, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. Michael

Leave it to a pig like Limbaugh to beat up on a 90-year-old lady.
    I guess if he were to pick on someone his own size he would have to go to the livestock show. I mean the size of his intellect, not his waist.

May 14, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. human being

ha ha ha ha!

that's all I have to say. He is fighting with everyone. People who defend this guy are low.

May 14, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |