May 14th, 2009

Limbaugh hits back at McCain's mom

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Thursday to recent comments by Roberta McCain, the mother of Republican Sen. John McCain.

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh responded to Roberta McCain's criticism of his tough radio persona Thursday, joking over the fact "McCain's mother is dumping on me."

"She is absolutely right" in her assessment that that she belongs to a different Republican Party than he does, Limbaugh said during his radio show: "The Republican Party she belongs to gets shellacked election after election after election."

In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Wednesday, the outspoken 97-year-old mother of Sen. John McCain said, to cheers from the audience, that Limbaugh "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to."

"I belong to the Republican Party," she said. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

On his show Thursday, Limbaugh made clear he found the criticism quite amusing.

"Sending Sen. McCain's mother out to dump on me?" Limbaugh said, laughing. "I love it."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Kevin Cantu

omg.....Are you kidding.....I mean seriously...she's 97 years old and she's standing up for her principles and yet Rush has to stoop to this....to this???

May 14, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. mariel

No matter your political status – This is just WRONG. Rush has got something mental going on, and none of us need to feed it with attention.

May 14, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. Phil

Perhaps more Republican's should follow-up on Wanda Sikes's commentary on this blowhard!

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. itbeme

Dan May 14th, 2009 4:54 pm ET

It warms the cockles of my heart to hear these boneheads bicker among themselves. So completely out of touch it's ridiculous. And getting nowhere.
    *********************

does anybody really actually know what a 'cockle' is????

just wondering......

has to be more interesting than most of the ticker stories CNN has been running lately.

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. Mike from Seattle

Rush has gotta be a liberal or at least a Democrat in disguise. Why else would he resemble the Democratic Party symbol every time he opens his mouth?

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. joe smith

again, we would like to know why cnn has not reported on the inside conflict of the feinstein bill on cash for clunkers, similar to that in place in Europe..why don't you report things that are relavent, and affect the short and long term buying habbits of the American people/automobile industry..

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. RandyT

I grew up voting for both Republicans and Democrats – the old best one for the job thing. Since Rush, the extreme right, Dick Cheney and the neo-cons took over the Republican Pary I have not voted for one. Not since Reagan – and I regret that vote.

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. tracey

Wow! Rush is picking on an old lady. Why would he try to take her on? He didn't say anything to Wanda Sykes. He kept very quiet, I wonder why? See, he knows who to mess with! He knows Wanda will eat that but alive!!!!

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  9. JM

Maggie May 14th, 2009 4:54 pm ET

You stupid old woman………………..you're not a Republican.

Well that's just real nice Maggie. Have you been hanging out with Rush lately??

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. Troy from NJ

What dream world is he is in!! Every single candidate he endorsed lost, even his attempt to have folk vote for Hillary backfired as Obama l won the nomination and evenutally the presidency. Moderate republicans rejected his call to vote for some one other than John McCain as McCain won thhe GOP nomination. Limbaugh is nothing but a blow hard and he only plays well for a very small base of people.

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. Adam

The headline is VERY misleading. I wouldn't call that "hitting back." It was a response. I mean, he AGREED with Roberta McCain. If he attacked anyone, it was Sen. McCain by claiming McCain sent his mother to attack him.

I do not understand how this qualifies as news when Pelosi is blatantly lying about her knowledge of waterboarding. CNN needs to focus on real news... I mean, they resemble E more than a news network.

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. jacobs

Limbaugh should have let this one slide and taken the high road. Sorry but the young people of America our future will never belong to a party that houses fanatics like limpbaugh, assailing a 97 yr old women is definitely below the pail, limpbaugh you truly messed this one up!

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. sd

anyone who takes this windbag seriously could not possibly care about this country.

May 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. greg

Yeah... no hate here. You guys are nice as pie.

May 14, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. usualone

Rush Limbaugh represents his pocketbook, and surely doesn't represent any other party. If Republicans still "honor" him, then they deserve the losing that they get or will continue to get. They didn't lose the Presidency for many years out of the last 16 or more. He certainly gives the comedians their topics without scratching their heads at all to come up with routines.

May 14, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. dam yank

thanks to limba, the repugnant party wmight disapeer one day

May 14, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Brenda Hampton

Thank you mother McCain for telling the truth. Rush Limbaugh is a fool, and anyone following him is an even bigger one. Doesn't he realize that he's destroying the Republican Party? I guess he doesn't care, and maybe he can come up with his own party...THE KKK!

May 14, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. hemnebob

yeah, before you know it he will be replying to the
    mccain's butcher because the butcher doesn't like
    what bigfatlimbaugh's saying about mccain's mother.

tit for a tat, right bigfatlimbaugh?

yeah, this is priceless...
    this is YOUR VOICE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

you people are really sad.

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. ryan in texas

I thought you lefties said John McCain was too old. But now his mom has the wisdom of the ages? – I don't care how old you are, when you go after Rush, he returns the favor.

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  20. JDQ

Love it – the more of an idiot Limbaugh makes of himself, the better the other party looks....keep it up! Self-destruction of this blowhard is so amusing.

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Jon Duon

Those pain killers are continuing to kill brain cells. Keep popping them, Rushy – it'll be over soon...

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  22. are jay

ok, where's john? I truly hope he has something to say about this. this is getting better and better and better all of the time.

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. ronnie m

rush is such a blowhard & a bully. he just can't let anything go can he? I'm a Dem but if I were a Repub I'd give serious thought to leaving the party if RL were really the "face or voice" of the party. the guy is an embarrassment to all Americans.

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  24. stormerF

Of course Roberta belongs to another replublican Party than Rush does, She was a girl when FDR was around and Then the Democrats acted like Republicans and the Replublicans acted like Conservatives,Now you can see how she raised her son as a moderate,liberal,bed wetter,partial conservative.,While the Republicans have become more Moderate the Democrats have become more Socialist.

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  25. Kelby In Houston, TX

When I read the article about Mrs. McCain's comments I thought she was spot and a I thought to myself, Does either Boss Limbaugh or Keith Olberman have the temerity to respond to the comments of this sweet lil old lady?
    Okay, I knew that Boss Limbaugh, De facto leader of the GOP, was petty enough to do someithing like this :)
    But what about Keith? My guess is Keith is going to talk about Limbaugh's response and that's it. How do I know? sometimes liberals think alike :)

May 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |