May 14th, 2009

Limbaugh hits back at McCain's mom

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Thursday to recent comments by Roberta McCain, the mother of Republican Sen. John McCain.

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh responded to Roberta McCain's criticism of his tough radio persona Thursday, joking over the fact "McCain's mother is dumping on me."

"She is absolutely right" in her assessment that that she belongs to a different Republican Party than he does, Limbaugh said during his radio show: "The Republican Party she belongs to gets shellacked election after election after election."

In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Wednesday, the outspoken 97-year-old mother of Sen. John McCain said, to cheers from the audience, that Limbaugh "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to."

"I belong to the Republican Party," she said. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

On his show Thursday, Limbaugh made clear he found the criticism quite amusing.

"Sending Sen. McCain's mother out to dump on me?" Limbaugh said, laughing. "I love it."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Adam

Just because I am sick of all the Limbaugh bashers I felt this is needed.

Ad hominem: Attacking a person as opposed to attacking the IDEAS they espouse. It is a logical fallacy.

Attacking Rush Limbaugh for his past has nothing to do with his ideas. But I am glad the CNN moderators are hard at work. I think 90% of these comments have been personal attacks aimed at Rush. Rush has ideas, if you do not like them, respond without logical fallacies.

May 14, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. MESA MICK

Rushblow will even stoop to dissin' someone's 97 year old mother to get attention. Un-believable!
    And this is what the GOP core of "purists" want in thier leaders?
    Get this guy and his trailer park trash posse to the psycho ward and quick!

May 14, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. BJ

To any republicans that may read this. The Dems LOVE it when the Republicans fight within their own party. Both Limbaugh and Roberta McCain are right in their opinions. The audience cheering on Jay Leno's are mostly liberal, I know because I watch Jay Leno regurlarly and his audience loves anything liberal. It's best to allow those who have an opinion to have an opinion. Read this somewhere recently and is relevent to todays politics: "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people."

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  4. james long, NYC

No comment would have been a little more classy. But this is Mr. Limbaugh we're talking about. The more i listen to him, the more I realize how much he does not represent what is best of America. It's a sad state of affairs in the republican party right now, if he's their voice.

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. Really?????

Keep talking dummy. Why do i have to see that bloated face in the news everyday? Lose some weight tubby. How can a guy who can't even control his eating habits or his drug abuse be taken seriously?
    Get that rat sized brain on a treadmill and lose the hippo sized body.

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. Andrew

I would love to see Rush and Momma McCain take a picture together. They would look like the number 10.

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Dan, TX

I'm really beginning to have a lot more appreciation for Rush. He really does represent the republican party ideals. His thoughtful analysis of the world really is the guiding light for republican and conservative values and shows the intellectual basis of their philosophy.

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  8. Charles Wetlands

Leave Rush alone. Please! He needs to be alone on some island stuck in a war of time. Oh, I think there is a TV show about that. Please let Rush land on that crazy island away from all of us and alone.

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  9. Jerrold Stein

If Rush had any class at all he would have applauded McCain's mother for taking an active interest in politics at her age. He could have acknowledged that they have viable differences in their views thereby giving credibility to his own positions. However, his ego being as fat as his head took center stage and the negativity that endlessly flows from his mouth is what we are all unfortunately exposed to.

I may not have an impartial view but I believe the majority of Republican party does not view themselves as Oxycotin pill popping drug addicts in denial.

May 14, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  10. Joe the Schmoe

Did I miss something is there another Republican Party that is winning elections?

May 14, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  11. ike

The end is near for Rush!!!

May 14, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  12. Brad

Rush is like Ann Coulter ... the more contrversey they stir-up THE MORE MONEY THEY GET PAID hello 400 MILLION dollar contract
    The damage he does is irrelavent as long as his bank account remains fatter than he.
    ps I would bet a grand he's still eatin oxy's for breakfest.

May 14, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. mary Derricotte

Rush Limbaugh could have let that go. This shows how disrespecful he is to the elders. Just maybe he could have set back and learned something from Mrs.McCain. In this country being old is a desease. But in realit,y getting old and being smart means you've won the lotterty of life and must be pretty smart to have made it.

May 14, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. I Am The Great and Not-So-Powerful Wizard of Rush

Sure is nice watching the elephants trample each other.

May 14, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. SnowBoarder

Rush never went to college. He was a F- student. Collin Powell was the last general to win a war for America. He fought and commanded ground troops. Rush is a fat drug addict. Why does anyone care about the words that are coming out of his mouth.

May 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. Pete

Do you know why there isn't a Democratic counterpart to Rush? Because Democrats don't need anyone to tell them what to think..... Especially a college dropout who, according to his mother "flunked everything" including a ballroom dancing class.

May 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  17. Erik

There's nothing scarier than ignorance in action... Be gone Rush!

May 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  18. Randolph Carter

Let me see if I understand this. Right wing kooks' reasoning is that if the republican party appeals to a narrower and narrower segment of the population and kicks out the moderates, they'll win more elections? How exactly does that work? Have a nice day!

May 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. MLH

Rush Limbaugh is rude and crude. The fact that he has come to represent any part of the Republican party should be a wake up call to the GOP. Or at least some portion of it. Kudos to Mrs. McCain for saying something that ought to have been said by many more people before now.

May 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. spudmctater

More words of wisdom from an entertainer who isn't really all that entertaining.

May 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. Matt the Baker

So this is what it looks like when a party implodes. Interesting.

May 14, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. nice!

Grrrr-Awful-O May 14th, 2009 4:41 pm ET

Investigate Pelosi!

Anything to change the subject eh? Typical republican with your little red herring, I love it!

May 14, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. Duke

Understand this Rush. YOU belong to the party that got shellacked last election. This election was not a statement against the moderates, it was a statement against the hillbilly right that you represent. The fact that you have to even respond to a comment made by a 97 year old lady says alot about you. You're one of those people that if I heard that you got shot in the street, I'd be the first one pissing on your grave. Our society is done with people like you and the extreme hillbilly, uneducated but opinionated, bible thumpin but not God fearing idiots that you represent. We proved that once and for all in November and it will only get worse for you and the 4 percent of society who actually takes you seriously.

May 14, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. Jessica

I just want to put Limbaugh and Cheney in a time capsule and send them back to B.C.....or just any other time that is not today, tomorrow, or anywhere in the future! Can we do that??

May 14, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. Dave From Mass Live in Philly

There is no room in the republican party for disagreements or individual thoughts. That is the main reason why they have falling so far from grace.

If you are a party of less gov. A party of individual rights. A party of "christian" religionist beliefs. Then act like it. Stop bashing others within and outside of your party.

But clearly they are not. If they were then they would not have Rush or orther like him.

May 14, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |