May 14th, 2009

Limbaugh hits back at McCain's mom

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Thursday to recent comments by Roberta McCain, the mother of Republican Sen. John McCain.

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh responded to Roberta McCain's criticism of his tough radio persona Thursday, joking over the fact "McCain's mother is dumping on me."

"She is absolutely right" in her assessment that that she belongs to a different Republican Party than he does, Limbaugh said during his radio show: "The Republican Party she belongs to gets shellacked election after election after election."

In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Wednesday, the outspoken 97-year-old mother of Sen. John McCain said, to cheers from the audience, that Limbaugh "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to."

"I belong to the Republican Party," she said. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

On his show Thursday, Limbaugh made clear he found the criticism quite amusing.

"Sending Sen. McCain's mother out to dump on me?" Limbaugh said, laughing. "I love it."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Rush Limbaugh
  1. nana

Maggie May 14th, 2009 4:54 pm ET

You stupid old woman………………..you're not a Republican.
    ---------

if you can't express your opinion without insulting people, please go away. in fact, go join Rush on his station and you can insult the heck out of each other. thank you!

May 14, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. chris

We have to remember that Rush is manifested for pure entertainment purposes. His success is based on ratings only. Obviously he is out to make as much money as he can and he does that by feeding into the hate culture. Without a conscience he will say the most outrageous things he can imagine just to create controversy and ratings. So don't take him seriously at all, maybe one day he will have a revelation and use his charms to unite instead of divide. Send him some love!

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. 2pacolypse Now

Wow,

now even McCain's mother gets dumped on by DUMBO. This man seems to know no boundaries or care to draw any boundaries. I just wonder if The Maverick is gonna allow Boss Limbaugh to disrespect his mom like that in public or is he gonna take his rightful spot with lips puckered up like the rest of his spineless GOP cronies and apologize to Sir Rush by bowing and kissing the ring on his hand?

Your move John McCain.

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  4. Shirley In California

I personally can't stand ANY of the McCain's. As much as I detest Blimp Man, I'm on his side (this time). At least he is not a hypocrite. Is this the same woman who said "my son doesn't come with a lot of pretty words-he comes with experience or that stood proud while his supporters yelled "terrorist" and "kill him"? I'm glad I don't have to look at this fossil of a woman, her grand daughter (who talks too much) or her adulterous son and his drug addicted wife in WH.

America made the right choice for a change.

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  5. Really?????

Rush in a clebrity death match with Colin Powell?? It would never happen. Rush would pee his little pink panties. Guys like Rush ONLY do their fighting with their mouths.

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Anthony

Rules Under Satans Hell, that spells Rush. Worth millions because of the lies he tells and the sad thing is people listen.

God Help US

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Susan

Mike, I pity you and pray to Jesus this Sunday that he gives you some wisdom.

I also do not like Obama but people like Limbaugh and Hannity force me to support a lesser evil. and believe me there are millions like me in this situation.

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. let's be real

Good piece of entertainment right there.

May 14, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. Limbaugh is a liberal

For eight years Rush has defended Bush and Cheney's huge deficit spending, and NOW he has problem with big government? He has no credibility! He is not a conservative! He's just a self-seving, attention starved clown!

May 14, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. SGJ

Is it Christmas again? :)

May 14, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. IndyVoter

Now I KNOW that Rush Limbaugh has lost it... Doesn't he know that you don't mess with somebody's Momma (especially an ex-POW's)?...You don't mess with mommas, even if they started it! Just walk away, Rush. Just walk away.

May 14, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. ObamaShrugged

For those of you who think the Republicans are the only ones with a split party – there are plenty of Democrats who do not support BHO's ideas of spreading the wealth and spending the next 100 years worth of taxes by the end of his term. And this split will keep getting bigger with every new tax and spend program he dreams up.

May 14, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  13. JR

Don't look now Limpbaugh, but YOUR GOP is getting shellacked election after election. Keep that big mouth going, it helps the democrats more ever day.

May 14, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Sniffit

Dear John McCain:

Your career may be nearing its end, but Limbaugh just gifted you with an opoprtunity to go out with a bang instead of a whimper. He attacked your MOM. It's now your turn to say "enough is enough" and actually fight for something you believe in instead of waffling and kowtowing. Do you have the b@llz or will you go gently into that good night?

Sincerely,

America

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  15. Shawn

This man will even go after a 97 year old woman but interestingly enough he didn't mention anything about Wanda Sykes scorching him! And yes he got scorched!

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. Darius

It is time for Rush to go back on his oxycontin binge....he was much less rabid when he was on it. In the same theme as Wanda Sykes, maybe he will taone too many pills and make our days better!!!

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  17. Buddy Gilmour

Its really quite strange. Rush and Cheney, who are not stupid, appaer incapable of understanding that their continued high-profile pronouncements are burying the GOP. Its a level of denial never seen before nor so publicly. Well, at least not since Bill Clinton ;)

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  18. pc

Limbaugh is an idiot!!!

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. Peter E

With all due respect, in 2006 it was not McCain that caused the republicans to be thrown out of power. It was Bush, Cheney, the republican controlled Congress, and their neocon cheerleaders like Limbaugh that turned everyone away from them!

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  20. 2pacolypse Now

Rush is an inspiration an a breath of fresh air.
    I only wish he was our president and not that socialistic dictator. Just maybe we would then have a great country that our children can inherit. I think the USA is doomed and will not survive 4 years of an Obama presidency
    ---------------------–
    Tell us Mike, just what would a Limbaugh Presidency look like? Legalizing stealing of prescription drugs? Buy a dozen get a half dozen donuts for free? How would LImbaugh do on the world stage? Please enlighten us with your "Joe the Plumber" theology please.

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  21. Dave

Rush is a traitor. From now on...whatever he represents I will oppose, and I will not buy from his sponsors.... he needs to be deported.

May 14, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  22. reid

Limbaugh is real class act.

May 14, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  23. O Aros

Rush Limbaugh is out of line when he begins to "hit" our elderly, who have been the key contributors to our country....and on whose shoulders he stands. If this is what the Republican Party stands for..then they deserve to lose all elections.

Our elders have always been there to support the greatness of our country and have fought and given their lives and the lives of their children to protect our freedom....including Limbaugh's freedom of speech.

The Republican Party needs muzzles for all those who do not know respect!

May 14, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. zarathustrafarensis

The people I feel most sorry for are the few idiots that left comments supporting that fat sack of pills. They are from HIS (Rush's) party, the "Republemmings"! Go on, run as fast as you can over the nearest cliff. It's fun to watch this slow motion self-destruction pick up speed every time this self-promoting moron opens his drug-popping pie-hole! I didn't vote for Sen. McCain, but I'd vote for his Momma!

May 14, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. Erik from Denver, CO

Actually Rush, you belong to the GOP that loses election after election after election. If you can't see that, then you're probably back on the OxyContin.

Oh wait... I'm not allowed to make fun of that. Sure, you're allowed to pick on a 97 year old woman, but for some reason, nobody is supposed to bring up your ILLEGAL DRUG USE.

May 14, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |