May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Tulsa

....BBBWWWAAAAaaahhhahahahahahaahah....

Go Republicans go!!!!!

(no, I mean it. Just GO already.)

May 14, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  2. Jayden,FL

Good for you old lady good for you!

May 14, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. dominican mama 4 Obama

Out of respect for Mother McCain I'll keep my yap shut.

May 14, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. Rush is not a Republican - He is a Democrat

Nice going Mom McCain. But no need to worry, Rush Limbaugh is not a Republican and does not represent anybody in the GOP. Rush is a radio personality, a Democrat in reality, playing the part of a Republican. The fact that Rush criticizes the GOP so much makes him a Democrat. One thing is for certain though, Rush is NOT a bona fide member of the GOP. Just ask any GOP leader. Sorry Rush, the gig is up. Go back to your Democratic cronies

May 14, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. steve

The weight of Rush Limbaugh will sink the Republican Party.
    When evil Cheney would choose him Over Gen Collin Powell, then you know the party is morally dead.

May 14, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  6. Renata Nicole

What a hoot! You gotta love her honesty. I'm liberal and there are times when Keith Olbermann does indeed go to far.

May 14, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  7. dittohead using forty names

Lets hope Roberta calls Rush out for a duel and wins.

May 14, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  8. Susan

Mrs. McCain must not listen to Fox news. Most of Keith Oberman's denigraiton of people is a response to Fox news and other hateful Republicans.

May 14, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. church of realism

Can't wait to see what Fatback Blowhole has to say about this. Is he gonna verbally punch a 97 year old matriarch in the mouth? Come on, Fatty, fire back. Its all you know how to do...

May 14, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  10. Chris

1-21-2013

May 14, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. Tammy

Too bad the rest of the Republican party doesn't feel this way. They might have a chance then to survive.

May 14, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  12. Enlightened Voter

Well said Miss Mccain. Although I could never have voted for your son I agree with you in that the rethuglicans only seem to want to tear down, denegrate, hate and condemn. They offter NOTHING constructive (i.e. these blogs and the senators) yet are doing nothing to help this country that they, the republicans and gwb, destroyed. They are a petty minded people who hate.

May 14, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. Laverne

It's funny that the only republicans that will stand up to Rush Limbaugh is a 97 year old woman, and a 23 year old woman. Where are the republican men, don't they have a backbone at all?

May 14, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. rodlang

Her advanced years have made her very wise. Both Limbaugh and Olbermann are jerks.

May 14, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Erik

Ya, I would say when John McCain was involved in denigrating others, he hid his joy...

May 14, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. Chuck

Tell them again Mrs. McCain.

May 14, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. gobama

Olberman calls republicans on their lies. i see why u would have a problem with that

May 14, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. greenkathy

God almighty, the woman is gorgeous and seems to be very sharp. McCain definitely is part of a good gene pool.

May 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  19. itbeme

good grief.....mcidiot's MOTHER now? GOP = Godawful Old People.....

May 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  20. Irma in North Carolina

Boy this woman tells it like it is about Old Rush boy. Wonder what Rush Says about this. It will be interesting to see if he makes a comment about this would not put it past him.

May 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  21. TM from CO

I think every respectable Republican should "blacklist" Rush Limbaugh. All he does is promote hate and division not only within the Repulican party, but amongst all of America. This man ought to be banned from the airwaves PERIOD. Good for you Mrs. McCain for sticking up for the party. Sure he will now throw zingers your way

May 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  22. Lynne - Seattle

I am not a republican...but all I can say is...YOU GO MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. gary davis Harbor Oregon

now this lady has the right to speak out and say whats on . and I agree what she says about Rush the butt rash . he is a pimple on the ass of the republicans . and if the republicans want him to continue speaking along with tricky dicky cheney so be it and we shall watch the republican party fall .like the roman empire .. people need to look back at history. it leeps comming back and bitting us in the ass

May 14, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  24. former republican

Right on Mother McCain! Its slugs like Rush that gave me good reason to leave the GOP!

May 14, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. john

Put one on the plus column for Roberta McCain. If the Republicans move away from Rush and those of his ilk, there is hope for the party

May 14, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |