May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. calvin1970

I agree with her on everything except Keith Olbermann. I like the guy. The bad apples who spew venom and create differences are the ones on 'Fixed" tv such as Bill O' the clown and Hannity the useless.

May 14, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. lets hear Rush beat up on a 97 year old woman

come on big man... pop a few more pills and dish out your venom... oh cat got your tongue

Jabba the Hut has nothing to say on this issue

May 14, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  3. DSH

Rush is an entertainer? I'm not so sure . He's just a very angry man with a small group of like minded listeners and the R-Party members don't like to get bad publicity from the guy so they all act like he's important. No one with any common sense pays any attention to his noise.

And....All the attention everyone pays to him just makes his noise even louder.

May 14, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. Jerry

I do not understand why anyone pays any attention to Rush at all. Criticizing Rush for being a poor political commentator is like criticizing the actors on "Scrubs" for being poor doctors. They aren't doctors; they are just entertainers. Steele had it right when he called Rush an entertainer. Let's not give him more credibility than he deserves.

May 14, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. Richard L

Keith Olberman doesn't tell Americans to vote for people they don't want in office.
    Keith Olbermann doesn't trash the physically ill.
    Keith Olbermann was not arrested for illegal drug use.
    Keith Olbermann does not have his picture in the mug shots at the local police station.

May 14, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. KMAN

The biggest problem with Lush Rimjaub is he's just not "Keithy" enough!

May 14, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. Roberta Harris

Thanks Mrs. McCain,R.L. is more of a menace to our country than a entertainer.

May 14, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  8. Barbara

I really like Keith Olbermann. He takes of Billo and his stalking techniques and nails Rush on all his garbage. No use for Coulter-quite scary. Never sure if Coulter is a man or a woman. Surprisingly I like Megan MCain. If Republicans had a brain they'd take this smart young woman seriously-and leave Palin to the wovles-or seals-or turkeys or whatever.

May 14, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  9. FreeNLovIt

Oh my goodness, this is almost like calling someone from the grave to speak for you. That's America!

May 14, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  10. Jim Hall

Another one thrown into the Hatfields and McCoy's fueds Jim Hall Kansas City Missouri

May 14, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  11. John

Quite frankly, Roberta, I'm glad I'm not around you or people like you, your son, or Rush Limbaugh.

Pretty simple, isn't it?

May 14, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  12. Enlightened Voter

Boycott lush limpaugh! Boycott lush limpaugh! Spread the word enlightened people out there.

May 14, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  13. Shawn

Although I didn't vote for McCain, I still consider him a good and mostly honest man. He just lost his way during the election and sold his soul.

Bless his mother

May 14, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  14. Pat Omaha, NE

You go, girl!!
    Rush is a mean-spirited, pompous fool!
    I will never understand why anyone would listen to him...except to laugh!
    (at him!)

May 14, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

To Jeezee,
    Thought "christians" were to be tolerant of others, not deride them like the "born again Christians" do.

May 14, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. liberal wacko reading Rupub hate filled posts hear

and no one is defending Rush, small wonder

that OxyCotin filled hate spewing wind bad is pulling the country down

but at least he is making money, off of his listeners

bye bye GOP, maybe the independants will rise in your place...

May 14, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. Nero

She's just stating the facts. Rush Limbaugh is nothing more than an entertainer. He spews lies and loves doing it. You have to be a sucker to listen to him and to a certain extent, Keith Olberman as well! The best thing to do is to listen to as many different outlets as possible and then think for yourself based on everything you've heard rather than blindly following someone like Rush Limbaugh.

May 14, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. joe

Democrats hammer Limbaugh not because he's destroying they think he's destroying the Republican Party, otherwise they would just let him do it, they are hammering him because they are afraid of him, as his following is growing to a giant mass. Go Limbaugh!

May 14, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. TSK

Stephen – hate to brake it to you, but Senator McCain is far from a loser. He's done more to serve this country than that fat bag of air Limbaugh culd even fathom of doing. Yeah you have the right to call him a loser, and he fought for you to have that right, but that doesn't mean you have a clue!

May 14, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. Reggae

These Republicans are really keeping us Democrats entertained!

May 14, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. P Stevens

It took a 97-year old woman to speak up to Limbaugh. Is she the only republican left with enough common sense and the audacity to fight back at this windbag?
    This guy makes Adolf Hitler look like a choirboy. American values are not what they used to be.

May 14, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. Ken

And Rush, the Entertainer, continues to entertain us by destroying a political party for his own financial gain and listener ratings. What a man!!!!

May 14, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. Joycelyn

I have so much respect for mom McCain but please leave Keith out of this.

May 14, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. donttreadonme

Come on CNN we get it There is a power struggle going on for the future of the Republican party. I doesn't matter what anyone says the party belongs to the people and we will make the final decision. Last time we chose the most moderate guy in congress (McCain) this time I think we will go more conservative.

May 14, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  25. Larry Roo

There is a huge difference between Olbermann and the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity and Coulter- Olbermann uses facts to support his comments while the others use emotion and false logic. Part of the reason the Republican Party is where it is now is because they put ideology ahead of science, ahead of historical perspective and ahead of factual information (can you say WMD?).

That said, good for Mrs. McCain.

May 14, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |