May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Fred Hendrickson

So why did your headline not read "McCain mom takes swipe at Olbermann" I am not a fan of either. However; liberal tv host and liberal tv channels must bond together. I am a conservative. Not democrat or republican just conservative. It would be great to see a little bit of a wind change once in a while. President Obama seems to be taking a step to work with conservatives......why can't you.

May 14, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. Simmy

I was with Mother McCain until she swiped my man Keith...You don't mess with him......Limbaugh does speaks for her party because NO one has the balls to oppose him......

May 14, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  3. John

There are 2 ways a person can become popular, known and get the attention of others:

1. By doing something good or talking something good.
    2. By talking against the person at # 1. above.

Rush Limbaugh adopts the tactics at # 2. above to become popular, known and get the attention of others.

May 14, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  4. DaFunk

@Uncle Ellsworthy

Oh the irony. Were you going for that on purpose? If so you did a good job. Calling out someone who McCain detests for "denigrating people" by denigrating them. Classic.

May 14, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  5. truth is liberal sort of

ALL the McCains are worthless.

May 14, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  6. olivia

I agree with granny McCain. Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, spread hatred and stir up dissension. I believe they hate poor and middle class people. And believe they are racist and wear invisible sheets.

May 14, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Jason

Well said Becky!

"My issue with some Republicans right now is that they call for smaller government, yet those same Republicans want to tell me how to live my life. You know what? I'd rather pay higher taxes, be a Democrat, and have a security net for those Americans who may need it. I'm not far left, but the far right freaks me out. Separation of Church & State needs to be embraced more in the Republcian Party, or they're doomed, and I'm a Christian."

May 14, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  8. Omari - Phx

The Thing is that the Democratic party of today is like the Repubs from back in her day. She comes from a point of view at a time period in which the republicans were a tolerant, open-minded party that was selfless. But, that was nearly a century ago and now she barely recognizes the ROP (Rush Opposition Party), I mean the GOP. Its sad to see the pitiful demise of that party. Oh well!

May 14, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. walleye

To Jeeze who writes: support and elect born again christian candidates. we can, and wil, take this country back.

Born again Christians do NOT belong in politics. They would do well to be preaching in a church and not from the U.S. Capital. I am a christian and a religious person, but I dont want people pushing their beliefs on me by legislating religion.

May 14, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  10. George ontario

Rush Limbaugh should go back to rehab! I think the oxyi's have takin a toll on his brain.......

May 14, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  11. PK California

As it was once said, a kid looking for attention will get it anyway he/she can, and more often than not it is the NEGATIVE attention that gets what they're after! Also the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Well, that wheel has been screaming, but we're fresh out of oil! I'm glad Mom McCain has spoken.

May 14, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. Annabelle

A few years ago, I heard Limbaugh himself say that he was an entertainer. In my opinion, he doesn't even meet the requirements of such a job description. He just makes you feel lousy.

May 14, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. Canadian Soccer Mom

Finally someone speaks truth to Limbaugh without apologizing. Refreshing.

May 14, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. PetePtld

Keith Olbermann came after John McCain in a big way during the campaign. I think Mom McCain is allowed to take it personally in this case. They say all politics is local, but family is even more local than politics. It doesn't matter whether Olbermann was right or wrong.

May 14, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  15. jim

Back in 2004, when the rest of the corporate media was acting as W's cheerleader in the Iraq war, one man and one man only had what it took to call them as he saw them: Keith Olbermann

May 14, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. USN Retired

Cheney, Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Ingraham, Coulter , Malkin.....Total Military service of all of them put together= ZERO Colin Powell= +35 years, Two tours in Vietnam, Decorated Hero, Directed Desert Storm
    John McCain= +24 years...Prisoner of War, Decorated Hero

The seven cowar.ds listed first want to kick the two American Heroes out of the Republican party. Is there any wonder why the Republicans have a 21% approval rating.

May 14, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  17. Rush is a moron

Rush is a moron and doesn't represent anybody. I seriously doubt even he believes half the crap he spews. Democrats just want to paint him as in charge because he'll be easy to crush because everyone knows he's off his rocker.

May 14, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  18. Danny from WA

If Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity and Coulter do represent the beliefs and opinions of many in the Republican Party (and the nation), we are in serious trouble. Hopefully it is just an ugly phase, brought on by the fear mongering of the last administration. I am proud to call myself a liberal. The Fox News bunch like to treat the "liberal" label as if it were a disease, or something to be ashamed of. I am so grateful that the world is not full of Limbaugh types.

May 14, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Richard L

Jay Leno should have asked her what she thinks of SEAN HANNITTY who promised to be waterboarded to raise money for our soldiers and HAS NOT KEPT HIS PROMISE. His willingness to not tell the truth seems typical for FOX News.

May 14, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  20. Susan

Olbermann ferrets out the truth faster than any NEWScaster around. He may use his forum to express his views, but at least he does get to the truth, unlike Fox and, yes, many Republicans, who are so into their image and 'message' that they forget that Americans can find things quickly and hold them up for the liars they can be. That applies to both sides, but the spin from Republicans is mind blowing lately.

May 14, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  21. Kelly

I'm tired of hearing complaints from the FOX News right wing fundamentalists about MS NBC. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

May 14, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  22. Rumsfeld

Finally, the NEW face of the Republican Party!!

May 14, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. Denise

Atta girl, Mrs. McCain! Go get 'em! And whatever you do, when Limbaugh attacks you (and he will, he does not care that you are 97), do NOT go back and apologize to him!

May 14, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. Sharon from MA

Roberta, Maybe why you don't like Keith Olbermann is because he tells the TRUTH...and he debunks all the Rethug lies!! There is no comparison between Olbermann and the foul mouth bigot Limbaugh!!
    Your sons campaign was the most hateful I;ve seen in my 63 years...You may be 97 years old but you still have a lot to learn!!

May 14, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  25. Jeff B.

She's right, Rush does not represent the Republican party. He's conservative, and they are not.

May 14, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |