May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Mary

Does Mrs. Mc Cain watch Foxx news and were she around when her son Mc Cain said he did not know if Obama was a Socialist and Palin said he pals around with terrorist , give me a big break,

May 14, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. EBJ

I'm sorry Mrs. McCain but get ready to be branded NOT a REAL Republican by GOP leader Rush Limbaugh. Once that happens though if I were you I'd take it as a compliment.

May 14, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  3. gloria

i think she exactly right, he is JUST an entertainer. thats all, and the simple thought that some people might be taking him seriously is scary to me. limgaugh and hannity and oriely want to take this country backwards instead of forward, and thats why so many are leaving the rep party because its not what it once used to be!!!

May 14, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Kade

I admire Mrs. McCain...too bad Republicans can't take notice of her view points.

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  5. Randolph Carter

Rush Limbaugh is a bitter little killjoy because he knows he'll never be like us: the well educated, high cheekboned liberal elite. I'd love to stay and chit chat with you Nascar loving nincompoops, but I have to pour another glass of pinot noir (that's wine, you knuckleheads), crank up some Erik Satie on my vintage high end audio system, make love to my stunningly attractive, slim European wife and then get in my prius and drive to the weekly meeting of the sinister socialist conspiracy. Have a nice day!

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  6. cindy

I am a registerd Democrat, but I am the only one in my family that is. This lady is talking like the GOP is suppose to be talking. I think that The GOP and the Democrats are parties that are both Very American. But they have differnt views on differnt issues. It is American to be differnt, I love my family and they love me, even though we differ on some polictial issues. At times like this I think wow, there is hope for this country. Way to go Roberta...

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. Daryl

I agree with Rush on this one. Reagen was best president in resent years. Republican party needs to throw out all the wolves in sheeps clothing. Get back to conservatism or else a new party will rise and they will be choked off.

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. earle

like her better than her granddaughter, and she's right, olberman gives me the creeeps

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. Art Roberts

If Limbaugh says anything derogitory about this lady he needs to have his microphone permanently removed from his enviroment. She is a class act, and I am not even a Republican.

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. Anonymous

I love it! She is a fiesty grandma!

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. 60's survivor

keith oberman is only fighting back against FAUX NEWS! other than that I agree with this lady!

May 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. JILL

I take it that Mrs. McCain is NOTa fan of FOX news.

May 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  13. mypitts2

I have come to really love the CNN Ticker. You guys do a good job.

May 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

It takes a 97 year old woman to stand up to Boss LimBlah. she's got bigger cajones than the entire GOP.

May 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. joe

Seriously, i dont wanna pick a fight with a 97 year old lady, but not hanging around with people "denigrating" others. what do you call saying people hang around with terrorists or that some are real Americans and some are not. Pointing out the hypocrisy in ones message is not "denigrating" them.

May 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Josie

I may have supported Obama, but I want to say that I respect Roberta McCain for her comment. She's a very classy and independent lady, and I hope Republican women learn from her rather than people like Michelle Malkin and Ann Coulter.

May 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  17. Rony, Liberal

If Rush attacks this sweet matriarch of the GOP, then he can go no lower. But wait, he is already at the lowest of the low.
    Good for you Mrs. McCain!

May 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Carol from Pennsylvania

The problem is that there are a lot of small-thinking people who take Rush Limbaugh's "entertainment" seriously. Mrs. McCain is a lovely lady.

May 14, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Oh My!

God bless her. But I think when someone speaks ill of your son then you would get a little upset. Even if it is correct.

May 14, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  20. obama/mama

Olberman is real and I love to watch his show.....He only speaks the truth

May 14, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Tim S

Rush for President!! He is the only true voice and most important spokesman for the GOP!!! Go Rush!!!

May 14, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  22. Vern

Would Mrs. McCain say those things about Rush if Rush wasn't talking bad about her son and granddaughter? I wonder. As far as her stance on Keith, I would hope she feels that way about 98% of the Republicans who takes a joy in putting others down. I'm sure she watches Faux News.

May 14, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  23. Diane

If Rush defines the Republican party – I am going to look for another party. Too negative, too frightened, too nasty, too closed minded – I could go on. I am a Goldwater Conservative (fiscal), an Ayn Rand Conservative (Small Government), a Regan Conservative (stern in the face of enemies) , a McCain Conservative -, (willing to work both sides of the aisle). Roberta McCain speaks for many of us.

May 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  24. Michael

You go girl! Limbaugh the face of the Republican party....I love it! This is just what the Democratic party needs.

May 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. Clay

Good on you, Mrs. McCain! Now please take you son home and wash his mouth out with soap. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff he said during the course of his campaign. He even aligned himself with Limbaugh, if you can believe it...

May 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |