May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Kevin B

The wealthy radio talk show entertainers are making a mockery out of the GOP by taking serious issues and distilling them into non sense for the easily manipulated and willfully uninformed.

Republicans must stop their party from being hijacked by these "entertainers" to re-gain respect from the majority of the electorate.

Coming up with some viable ideas to help the folks that are struggling wouldn't hurt either.

May 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

The first "real" republican making sense. Way to go Mrs. McCain!!

May 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. Gareth

Someone should drag out tapes of rush 20 years ago he was DEM when that worked for him , Big Fat Idiot. Long Live Keith, GOP is a joke and DEAD we knew it would come!

May 14, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. Proud American

I guess she never saw any of her sons ad's when he was running for president. But, maybe she has nothing to do with her idiot son either..

May 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. mjm

McCain is playing the mommy card?

Did mamma McCain state what the Republican Party should stand for in her opinion? Or is she just bashing anyone who disagrees with her son and granddaughter?

May 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Darlene

Mrs. McCain rocks!

Maybe she should have ran for President instead of her son.

I agree completely regarding Limbaugh and Olbermann, both are nasty, obsessed individuals who like to hear themselves rant. As a Republican (Liberal) Limbaugh (and FOX's Hannity) in no way represents my views, opinions or goals for the party.

May 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. Shawn G

Demacrats are thieves. How do you justify taking something from someone and giving to another? This old bat just wants free prescription drugs stolen from the American tax payer.

May 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. J S Ragman

I don't see Olbermann as denigrating people. All he does night after night is point out all of the lies and partially told stories that continually come out of the right-wing and fox news (it doesn't warrant being capitalized). They really need to drop news from their name.

May 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. LIP

Are there anymore McCaine relatives that CNN could dig up that could pass judgement on Limbaugh? Surely there must be a distant cousin or two that they haven't talked to yet that could say something meaningful on this tired subject.

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. gloria

hannity was confronted when ased about rush limbaugh making fun of the great michael j fox, hannity, the stupid tool that he is said limbaugh was just shaking his fat ass to deminstrate his point. now if you ask me , if the man had an ounce of feeling in his 500 pd body he would have deminstrated his point in another way instead of mocking what michael j fox looks like without his meds. shame shame shame

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. Harvey for Obama

As long as Rush Limbaugh is head of the Republican party, you guys have a BIG problem. Come on. You can do better.

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  12. Brian

aaahhhhh. She is so cute! And right in every aspect!

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. Melissa

Yeah well, Olberman call Republicans out and they don't like it, they'll just have to deal with it.

She can speak against Limbaugh if she wants, but she isn't the issue. The problem is that the main proponents of the Republican party, and most of their public faces, are behaving like children. Michael Steele capitulated to Limbaugh like a good little slave.

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. Brina

I guess Rush is going to kick her out of the party next.....where are the men in the republican party......

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  15. Jay

I was with her all the way up to the Olbermann part. Keith is a great American and a true patriot, far more so than any of the McCains. The only other person on all of TV that even comes close is Jon Stewart. Not only are they more entertaining than Rush, but they also have a real message.

May 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  16. rob

Republicans ought to come up with a new brand name and mission. The old one is DEAD. It's kind of like that old Edsel car, remember that? I didn't think so.

May 14, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. Red

Now we know where your spit fire grand daughter gets her spunk!! I like the McCain women.

May 14, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I missed the paragraph on Olbermann. Mrs. McCain, you've barked up the wrong tree. Keith just calls it how it is. I can't wait to watch Countdown tonight. You may be on worst person's tonight. And why is it the whole McCain family is involved in politics?

May 14, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. James

The GOP could do worse than nominate Mrs. McCain in 2012, judging by their recent electoral performances.

May 14, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  20. Shadysider

Mrs. McCain wrapped up very nicely exactly what many sane conservatives / Republicans are thinking and what everyone besides the Republican base (who are the same ones who listen to Limbaugh) know: Limbaugh is essentially running the GOP, and the backtracking of the GOP'ers after comments and apologizing to Limbaugh is evidence of this. So long as Limbaugh has any connection to the Republican Party and continues to dictate to GOP lawmakers, the vast majority of Americans will vote against the GOP.

May 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. Kelby In Houston, TX

Hahaaa... This just gets better and better. Ruh deserves everything he gets and Keith Olberman is ....well he's just great :) I never miss Keith and Rachel, best two hours on TV. Yes, sometimes, Keith is reaching but Rachel balances it all out and everybody should have more than one source of news.
    Even I try to watch Bill O'Reilly...it's difficult, but I somehow manage to get through 2 or 3 minutes of it. And that is a huge accomplishment for me

May 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Task

The reason she has more guts than Steele or Cantor is that she has nothing to lose. When elected republicans criticize Limbaugh, he has the power to hurt them. He has no power over her. 99% of politicians have ONE priority, staying in office. It's all that Obama, McCain, Clinton, Specter and others like them really care about.

May 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. JAC

I Iike this woman! I just hope I am as spry as she is when I am 97!!

I am an independent but I always said I would vote for McCain if he ever ran.

Then I watched as his own party dragged him down until he was just a shell of his former self, and alas, I could not bring myself to vote for him.

Oh and one more thing ... "I think ... therefore I do not listen to Rush Limpballs (Oh my, I mean Limbaugh, shame on me!)."

May 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  24. Chuck

Ms. McCain, I do not believe you have watched Keith Olbermann enough to know what brings him joy. You stepped beyond your knowledge and said something that is false. It may sound like people are being denigrated, but where have you been? Keith just tells the truth and it revealed that the Bush administration and Republicans in Congress are driven by greed and conceal it with deceit every day, like Rush. Your Party has all but ruined America for ordinary people, but you are too wealthy to know that or care.

May 14, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. nda

I thought that was MCCains wife??????? She looks about his age!!!!

May 14, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |