May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jim

You go Roberta! I left the Republican Party in 2008 to vote for Obama after voting for every Republican nominee since Nixon in 1972. The reason: idiots like Limbaugh and Hannity, and all the bigoted, religious zealots who have hijacked the party.

May 14, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. Adam from Ohio

All right, she's 97, so good on her for going strong and speaking her mind.

But remember her going on a year or so ago about Mitt Romney and the Mormons with SLC's Olympic bid??

May 14, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. tina

I did not vote for McCain, but his mother is so outspoken. I loved it, I can't wait to see what that big mouth radio entertainer has to say in response to Mrs. McCain.

But I really believe she shut him down!!! LOL

May 14, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. MW in MD

WOW!

To Laverne:

You forgot Colin Powell. He hasn't apologized to Limbaugh for what he said and I hope he doesn't.

May 14, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. nowme

Guess she will be next to grovel and apologize to Rush. However she seems tough to me–it will take some harsh tactics to convince her, but I'll bet the Republicans have some "methods" they can use to get her in line.

May 14, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  6. M. Jan, Exton, Pa.

She is right about Boss Limbaugh but wrong about Keith Oberman. This country still is a great country , we can claim because we have people like Keith Oberman. Long live Keith oberman.Long live Keith Oberman. Long live Keith Oberman.

May 14, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. Erik

McCain is so out of touch with conservatives. I voted for him unfortunately! I shoudlve voted for Obama despite that Iam a conservative. When I look back at Obama and McCains campaign they ran nearly parallel to one another. I felt he was the lesser of the two evils. As long as these Rockefeller type wannabe Republicans lead our party they will continue to run it into the ground. True conservatism is what we need and not just talk but actual people who will demonstrate it through leadership.

May 14, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  8. Daveboy Smith

Watch Rush try to verbally attack her, good luck El Dumbo, I mean Rushhole or El Rushdie or whatever you call yourself.

May 14, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. WannaFAl

tick tock tick tock, the second great conservative revoulution is coming. The only reason the republicans have lost recently is because they have been too much like the progressive socialists, ie, democrats. Bush spent too much and stood on top of civil liberties and no one called him on it.
    The democratic socialist party is overreaching and soon enough the true conservatives will take back the party. You libs just hate Rush because hes right, and knows it. You libs cant stand anyone that isnt worried about being wrong all the time.

May 14, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  10. Shane

"Rush is not a Republican – He is a Democrat"

Nice try... The Rebublican party has embraced him and his hateful opinions on more than one occasion. Limbaugh and Fox News ARE the face and voice of the modern Republican party.

--------------------------------

"Chris: 1-21-2013"
    Good luck with that lol...

May 14, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  11. BonBon

What an amazing lady! Even if I disagreed with every word out of her mouth and did not vote for her son, the fact that at 97 this woman is so involved, interesting, intelligent and spry is awesome. You gotta respect this great old gal!

May 14, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  12. joe m

this is one republican i wouldn't mess with.

May 14, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  13. Alberta Treadway

Good for her! Although at 97 her idea's/programs and directions need to be brought up to speed for the 21 st century. At least she know the phoney Baloneys when she see/hears them, and is ready to weed them out of her garden, so her garden can grow. I think her grandaughter Megan Mccain might have a good influence on her grandma. It's a time for the young now, and not the old. It's time the old listen so they are brought up to speed in our growing world/economy woes an to go into the NEW future direction of America. We (the old), can't look to the past, only the future and the next generation has to carry the torch.

May 14, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  14. Joe in NJ

"Enlightened Voter May 14th, 2009 10:43 am ET

Well said Miss Mccain. Although I could never have voted for your son I agree with you in that the rethuglicans only seem to want to tear down, denegrate, hate and condemn."

At no point did Mrs. McCain say this. She was referring to people from both parties who do nothing but denigrate other people. Maybe you and some other people who post here, especially the Palin bashers, can take a lesson from this wise woman.

May 14, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. Tony

Once again, what most people fail to realize is that Rush is not a real person. He's a fictional character, played by an average-at-best actor. Rush and Ann Coulter are no more real than Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

May 14, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. Kathleen Kenney

Keith Olberman speaks his mind. He exercises freedom of the press, which is his right and I thank him for that.
    Are you forgetting the 8 years of our last president?

May 14, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. dede-ole

chenny,rush are retards how can you denegrade a general who has fought for our nation.both have been a detrement for our very core survival.one pushed the former president to a war that produced a can of worms,the other with no college education has been a loud mouth to anything he can not understand.way to go mrs mccain,lady you got guts,keep on.

May 14, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. Greg Smith, Clifton Heights PA

The Republican Party is a true American Party. the party of capitalism, respect for life, individual responsibilities, trust in the American People. The Democrats want to control your life, they do not respect the American People, they think you are all stupid and need the government to tell you what to do. By the way MSNBC the Keith Oberman's station is a very very very hateful network that caters to the Democratic population.

May 14, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. kd

Olbermann can back up his opinions. Sure, he stacks the deck in favor of his viewpoint but you have to realize that going in. His guests are always on his side. But he's able to point out the hypocrisy of those he disagrees with in an informed, intelligent (albeit loud and strong) way.

May 14, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Mary

Where is Cindy? She is the one that needs to defend her husband and daughter. You welcome.

May 14, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  21. Janie

Very well put, Mrs. McCain. Limbaugh, Olberman, and others like them are not the best that either party has to offer. I didn't vote for McCain, but if there were politicians out there like Mrs. McCain and Meghan McCain, I would probably be more independent that die-hard democrat.

May 14, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  22. dkr

Keith Olbermann for President!

Love you Keith Olbermann!

May 14, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. annie

Smart Woman.
    I like her style.

Honest, straight forward.

She should run the GOP....

May 14, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  24. The black spider

No come on Mrs McCain you can throw the Boss of the party under the bus. wink wink
    We independant and I bet liberals loves his leadership of the GOP.
    That's th only way the country can get back on track. Let the fatty continue to run his mouth to make the GOP look more disgusting to the voters. Guarantee another Obama win so we can completely get out this mess.

May 14, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. Ed

She's right. Olberman is nothing but a slime bucket!

May 14, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |