May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Dave C - NJ

Why did she single out Olbermann along with Rush...if you are going to badmouth show hosts then you certainly need to go after Hannity, Billo-The-Clown, and Coulter...they ALL take shots at the opposition.

May 14, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. mary

Well, good for her. I am not a Republican, but there is no hope of rebuilding this party of its primary voices continue to be Limbaugh and Dick Cheney.

May 14, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Jack

Republican voters voted for McCain in the primary despite Rush's urging not to, because they wanted a more moderate person. At least more moderate than the other two choices. That should have shown Rush that he wasn't speaking for the party as a whole. As a lifelong Republican, he doesn't speak for me and as soon as the party gets beyond abortion as a litmus test for everyone, then perhaps the GOP can start to recover. The GOP is for less gov't everywhere except in your personal business.

May 14, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. Diji from Baltimore, Maryland

I completely agree with the old feisty lady on Rush Limbaugh and Keith Olberman. Keith makes me cringe sometimes. Rush is a complete idiot. I find him repulsive all the time. It's funny that Senator McCain, a war hero, doesn't have the back bone to speak the truth like his young daughter and old mother.

May 14, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. chucky1169469

*****************************************************************************
    apparently she doesn't watch Sean Hannity

May 14, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. alebiglio

well getting reprimanded by a 97 years old, what can I say.....
    I surely can stomach and even respect somebody like Mam Mc.Cain even if we disagree on issues, i surely cannot stand and even listen (it's a waste of my time really) to the current GOP intelligentsia......
    I think Mc.Cain redeemed himself with his concession speak, i can understand now where it came from.....

May 14, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. ANGIE IN PA

Way to go Mama Mccain now Watch Rush bash this Old woman he has no Morals!

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  8. Patrick

Everyone who loves Keith but can't stand Rush are hypocrits. They act the exact same way. The only reason you like Keith is b/c he happens to be a liberal. They are both arrogant blow hards who are clones of each other. Shame on all of you for either not liking or hating them both. Our country will only be able to move on from the current partisan gridlock when you can disown people that share your views.

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Dave

You go girl!!!

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. dominican mama 4 Obama

@Chris May 14th, 2009 10:43 am ET

1-21-2013
    **********************************************

I know! I know! The first day of President Obama's SECOND term in office. Glad you remembered!

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  11. Hans Brecker, Albany NY

You go tell the truth about me, please Mommy!!

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  12. ole

she rocks! why didn't she run for office? i would of voted for her in a heartbeat...

rush, do all of us a favor, both repbulicans and democrates... SHUT UP!

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  13. Enlightened Voter

I guarentee you, lush limpaugh will attack her in some form today because he has no class, no morals and no intelligence.

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  14. hmm

to all of you saying olbermann exposes people's hypocrisy..

ask him why he demanded a raise from $4 million to $7 million just after the parent company that pays his salary got bailout money. especially because he continually calls out the banking ceos that give themselves parties and bonuses and RAISES on their bailout...

at the very least, no one should be demanding a $3 million dollar raise when our economy is in the toilet.

May 14, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  15. Ted Tartaglia

Maybe there a few moderates left in the Republican Party who are not afraid to take on party leader Limbaugh. I wonder how long it will take the pompous ass of a windbag to attack Mrs. McCain for her comments?

May 14, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  16. R in Maine

Rush is just a useless Republican, with no sense of ethics, or loving kindness. Get rid of him.

May 14, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. Kevin in Ohio

CNN, time to start reporting on REAL political news instead of continuously pandering to the liebral elites here.

May 14, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. Pluto

Who does she think she is? She's no REPUBLICAN!! Kick her out of the Grand Old Party – we have no patience with young whippersnappers like her anyway. She's always been soft on terrorists, in fact she had Osama bin Laden over to her house. Knocking the Rush that way, just who does she think she is? He is the Chairman of the RNC, and we all like it that way, so she and her 'maverick' son can just go vote Democrat from now on. Who needs her anyway?

May 14, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. bj

So now the Repubs have to put the elderly out there to speak so anyone disagreeing with her will look like they are mistreating her!

As the ship is sinking, they are throwing everyone in sight overboard. Where were all these so called "real Repubs" as Rush spewed his venim for the last decade?

When Sarah's book comes out, I'd like to hear Mother McCain's comments.

May 14, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  20. Fake = Bad

Good point Tony regarding Limbaugh and Coulter being characters. They are. Completely phony and fabricated personalities who exist for the purpose of making money. However, the sad part is that their fan base consists mostly of people with nothing more than a HS diploma who have a tunnel vision view of the world and preference for Whites only. That is dangerous whether or not they are real people or fake people.

May 14, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Rush Limbaugh is a Deucebag

When is Rush Limbaugh going to insult this McCain's mom?

Rush Limbaugh has a reputation for insulting the republiKlan puppets once they dont apologise or bow down to his throne...even Dick Cheney acknowledged that Rush Limbaugh is the leader of the RepubliKlan party!!!

Will Rush show his true color for being an entertainer and insult an old lady?!

May 14, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  22. Ken

@Chris

On 1-21-13 I'll be celebrating Obama's second inauguration and you'll just be crying into your beer or whatever mind altering drugs you're taking.

May 14, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. ANGIE IN PA

At Least Keith Olberman Knows History!

May 14, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  24. Bill/CA

She's right about both Rush and Olbermann. Neither man speaks for the ideals or the party they claim to represent. When we leave our politics up to the media, we're all doomed.

May 14, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. Marie

The difference between Olbermann and Limbaugh is Olbermann speaks the truth and backs it up with facts and video.

There are 400 Conservative talk show hosts in America spouting lies and distortion creating a need for the Olbermanns to offer a true alternative to their rantings.

May 14, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |