May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Sad

God bless you Mrs. McCain. You and your grand daughter are the refreshing face of GOP. Although I am a Democrat, I strongly believe in two party system; however the opposition party should no be just nay sayers but must be willing to work with the party in power for the betterment of the country. The truth, Mrs. McCain, is that GOP does not have a chance (to be constructive) unless Rove, Cheney, Palin and Limbaugh are purged from the party.

May 14, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. Avi Shlomo

Mrs McCain, I am a conservative and Olberman has always beenb right on the money. He does does the honorable thing and not what your son and other republican spin machines do. This is like pot calling the Kettle black. Lighten up sweet Lady. may god bless you and the cute smart grandbaby of yours :-)

May 14, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. J. L. W.

I agree with John McCain's mother. Rollin's is also correct when he said
    "he Democrats should stop throwing dirt on the GOP grave" The past is
    history. Time needs to be spent on how to get the country out of the economic mess it is in, the aggressive moves China and a few other nations are taking against th U.S.

Obama is intelligent and a good communicator but moving in the wrong direction. With people like Pelosi & Reid in conjunction with, most of the Democrats in office, they are going to push the country over the cliff if action is not taken to stop them.

May 14, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. Jenn, Philadelphia

I love all the people defending Olberman. He's just the flip side of the Limbaugh mirror. Honestly, people, this is a guy is a washed-up sportscaster. He and Chris Matthews should just keep their man-crush for Obama to themselves.

May 14, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. John Wayne

Mother McCain played an instrumental role in the Civil War.

May 14, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. John in Austin

Keith Olbermann says remarks in sarcasm, mostly to mock the twisted reasoning and tortured logic that right-wingers use.

May 14, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Brady

Roberta McCain, I love you.

May 14, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. Republicans are the American Taliban

Cable tag team cage match...Roberta McCain and Colin Powell VS Rush Limbaugh and DICK Cheney!!!

May 14, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. JB

Nothing is more sad than watching or reading someone defend olbermann..
    It is painful as is it funny

May 14, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Rush Limbaugh is a Deucebag

Grandma McCain should run for president...she will do a better job than the unintelligible Sarah Pain-Lin and the Big Swine Rush Limbaugh!!!!!

May 14, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. joseph

I wish the old lady would have addressed the stupidity of her son's choice of Palin as his running mate. Did he actually think or believe that he could win with that choice of a running mate? Am still wondering...hmmm

May 14, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Lovey

I knew I liked this woman the moment I saw her. Definitely on target regarding Limbaugh, but she lost me at her comments about Keith Olbermann, who is the messenger, and should not be confused with what he is exposing on his show. God bless him!

May 14, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  13. Margaret

Line em up. Let's see how many Republicans choose McCain and how many choose Rush.

May 14, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. skorpeo

wow, i hope she never watches fox news, hannity, or o'reilly.....

May 14, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  15. bc

hmm – "at the very least, no one should be demanding a $3 million dollar raise when our economy is in the toilet."

And Sarah Palin is getting ?$ advance for her book?

May 14, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  16. Sniffit

Everyone needs to just take a deeeeep breath and drink their prune juice.

May 14, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. Don

I see where John McCain got his good common sense...He should have listened to his "mother" during his campaign and not the RNC.... To "me" he followed the "Limbaugh" side of the party and it very well could have cost him the election...

May 14, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  18. Lisa Libra

With all due respect here, she is 97! Her views, I'm quite sure, are wayyyyyyyy to the, well, 1930's! It would be talking to my grandma. I'm sure she wishes that women still wore dresses and gloves when in public.

But...I do love to watch the Republicanknuckleheads brawlin it out! Keep up the good work, it just makes you all worse then before.

May 14, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  19. FL for Change

Keith is GREAT! He tells it like it is w/o any spin. He views both sides...it just so happens that the RIGHT is WRONG the majority of the time. How many days has it been since Sean Hannity said he would partake in waterboarding....

May 14, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  20. Bubba

No, I'm sure she's wrong. Rush is the RNC Chairman, so by definition he does represent her side. The GOP would vehemently deny that ANY issue can have two sides, so her statements are pure senility. There's only one GOP, and it's rotten as old wormy cheese. Enjoy the beating Rush AND your loyal son will hand you tomorrow, lady, and BTW I totally agree about that schmuck Olbermann.

May 14, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. shucks

I'll take Mrs. McCain's wisdom over Limbaughs arrogance any day. Just wish the republican party would.

May 14, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. C W

The GOP is like watching the Jerry Springer show on a bad day ...

I agree with Mrs. McCain on Limbaugh, but think that Olbermann is not nearly in Rush's league when it comes to incendiary commentary. Olbermann usually reserves his wrath for correcting Limbaugh's and others' out-and-out lies; Limbaugh is the lie-spewer.

Anyway, it's great to see a woman so vital at 97 (even if I don't agree with a lot of her and her son's politics).

May 14, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  23. Bob

Man, we need more choices. The Republicans are the party of no and the Democrats are the party of intolerance and hatred. I think the USA would do itself a favor if the Independents would rise up to fill the vacuum created by two parties that are seriously broken.

May 14, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. Keith

There's a reason John McCain lost. He's a lot like his mother.

May 14, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Becky

Will be interesting to see Rush's response. Will he insult a 97-year-old woman? By the way, I think she's 100% right.

My issue with some Republicans right now is that they call for smaller government, yet those same Republicans want to tell me how to live my life. You know what? I'd rather pay higher taxes, be a Democrat, and have a security net for those Americans who may need it. I'm not far left, but the far right freaks me out. Separation of Church & State needs to be embraced more in the Republcian Party, or they're doomed, and I'm a Christian.

May 14, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |