May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. tb92

I like her. I like many of the old-school conservatives. You know, the ones who believed in smaller government and personal freedom. And that national security was more important than personal profit. Their party betrayed them. Whether they like it or not, the GOP today belongs to Limbaugh. It's time for them to find a new home.

May 14, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. DJK

Wow....you wouldn't understand Limbaugh because you obviously don't listen to him. What you just said on Leno is slander and shows just how ignorant you and your family are of Limbaugh. Of course, even if you did listen to him, you still wouldn't recognize which party he's talking about because you're a Democrat pretending to be a Republican.

May 14, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  3. Ghost

Hey, for the record, Keith is over the top. But he's an entertainer as well. The difference is in my opinion that he does tend to stick to actual points and facts. After that, he tends to go overboard with the yelling and what not.

Also, Rush isn't wrong all the time. But those conclusions, like Obama is getting all this money to give it to black folk as a form of reparations is more than stupid, it's racism in it's newest form: political outrage at any of Obama's plans.

May 14, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. pete peterson

She's right. Limbaugh is a windbag. A chickenhawk that makes stuff up. He would not know the truth if it bit him. What's needed is a national boycott of his show.

May 14, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  5. Lynn

Well said Laverne. What is it about CNN and politicians family members? Can't these people speak for themselves??

As to Rollins saying that the Democrats throwing dirt on the republican grave, they are doing a bang up job of doing that on their own. The moronic ad in a former case in point as is the renaming of the Democratic Party as the Democratic "Socialist" party.

Funny that I don't hear one Republican politician standing up and denouncing their golden "socilalist" pension or health care plans.

May 14, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  6. hirouk

she does not speak for the republican party. she, her son, and her grand daughter are mouthy liberals who do not belong in the republican party.

throw them out.

then support and elect born again christian candidates. we can, and wil, take this country back.

praise jesus!!!

May 14, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. C W

If Limbaugh follows his recent pattern, he'll soon take a swipe at Mrs. McCain. It'll be interesting to see how the Republicans react to that ...

May 14, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. lawyermommy

Wow, an outspoken 97 year old. That is a shocker!

She has raised some valid points tho. Why on earth does Rush inspire ANY fear???? He is an ENTERTAINER and he is carrying the Republican party, with great gusto, to HELL in a large handwoven basket. And guess what? The GOP is allowing it.

Oh well. I guess we just have to sit back and await the inevitable Democratic party sweep for the next elections.

May 14, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Mark,B'ham,Al.

Olberman's nose is so far up the dems and Obama's behind that he is one of the 12 closest deciples, that is why I stopped watching him to get both sides. I use CNN to get my leftist views on issues instead of MSNBC. Rush, I do not listen too even though I agree with more of his opinions than Olbermann's

May 14, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. aathomasr

Olberman is a good guy pointing out facts about a party completely out of control. Limbaugh hates everyone that doesn't agree with him there is a big difference. He, Hannity, Beck, and Coulter hate their fellow Americans just because they have a different opinion. They are unamerican and will continue to suffer the consequences. I would have my own brand of justice against these diseases that plague our country.

May 14, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. dede-ole

hi everyone am thinking who should kick the other out of the party rush or mrs mcCain?,does seniority matter?. help me out here.

May 14, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. Keith

Uh.....all you folks Rush is a conservative, not a republican and McCain lost because of his moderate position and Obama's skin color.

May 14, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. Frank, Las Vegas

She might not understand him but, he is indeed the leader of the GOP. If he wasn't all those GOP leaders who crossed him and then went back to him on bended knee and kissed his ring would not have. Like it or not, Rush is the leader of the GOP and the GOP will follow him right all the cliff.

May 14, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. djdjdjs

I'm not a republican fan at all, but I think SHE should have run for President.

What a great woman !

May 14, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. Tom Bachman

From my quick perusal of the liberal wackos that post here, one thing is quite clear: They can't spell or punctuate a sentence. Maybe Ayers can get THEM scholies to Columbia?? Or do they need to "party" their way out of Occidental, first??

May 14, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. Dane

Great interview from an old school type of woman. She tells it like it is, and didn't focus on whether it was better to be a democrat or a republican....but rather to not be an extremist picking fights to get attention.

May 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. Billy's Goat

This woman ,I mean lady represents the true republican party.

May 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  18. David Newport, OR

I'd love to hear Rush's reply on this one too..."John...you can take your mother along too"

May 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  19. Steve M

Isn't it surprising that the "patriotic", "pro military" Republican Party is now bowing to the likes of draft dodgers like Rush Limbaugh, and non serving cowards like Cheney, Rove, Hannity, Coulter, Ingraham, and Beck, while dissing real patriots like Colin Powell who actually spent most of his life in uniform, why is it that 99.9% of the "patriotic" conservative Republican radio and TV pundits have never served their country in uniform?, nor have they ever served their country in any way at all?

May 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  20. stephen

Hate to break it to ya Roberta but your son's a LOSER and hopefully he'll take you, his daughter and Colin Powell and Lindsey Ghramnesty with him to the Democrat party!!!

May 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. KJ

You Go, Granny!!!

May 14, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  22. Michael

Roberta McCain sounds more lucid than her son, who is still WAY more lucid than Limbaugh with his demented ranting.

May 14, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. m husband

Good for her! I might become less of an independant once the Republican party hops off Rush's lap.

Extremist like Rush and Olberman mitigate compromise which is important in a democracy.

May 14, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  24. Kurt from Canada

Agree with her on everything.... except about Olbermann. I think Olbermann is great.

May 14, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  25. Ken in NC

While I did not support him, I respect John McCain as one of our many War Heroes and I think his mother is right about Limbaugh. I also do not think Blabbar Gut (Limbaugh) does not want to come out and blast this 97 year old woman. To do so would bring out Republicans and Democrats bailing on his butt.

Mothers are off limits for all of us, Republicans and Democrats alike.

May 14, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |