May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Linda from Minnesota

I'm a liberal and I intensely dislike Rush, Hannity, Coulter, etc. I also think Olberman and Bill Maher on the liberal side are no better. Both sides takes their shots at each other. I think Rush goes to the extreme however and I'm never sure if he is truly insane or just paid to sound insane. Hannity, just a bigot and close minded. Anne Coulter, I can't figure her out, she sets the women's movement back to the dark ages. You can throw Palin in there too. I shudder to think if McCain had been elected and Sarah Palin would be VP right now.

May 14, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. john

ohhhhhhhh!!! Get him Mama McCain!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. Dan

Republican party is the Kingdom of King Rush Limbaugh. :)

May 14, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Gus

What is the infatuation with Limbaugh?

May 14, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. Hannah Stevens

Is this all the republicans have to contribute to America. Bantering back and forth, no good ideas, only more tax cuts for the wealthy and cutting social programs for the rest of us. Eight years of war, no banking regulation, running up the deficit and this is all we get from them. These people don't care about America, only themselves.

May 14, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. CitizenKane

But you are around people that consistently denigrate others. Havent you listened to the GOP lately?

May 14, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. S Callahan

Well said Mrs. McCain.....

May 14, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. obama/mama

(chanting) Rush Rush Rush Rush Rush (picture him bouncing up and down)....lol

May 14, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. Prevaricator

You go girl!

May 14, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  10. Randolph Carter

hirouk wrote: then support and elect born again christian candidates. we can, and wil, take this country back.

Good luck with that, sparky. Have a nice day!

May 14, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  11. LRH

I am a Democrat and did not vote for Senator McCain. Nevertheless, I respect him and his sacrifices for our country. And I must say, I love that spunky Mrs. Roberta McCain!

May 14, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  12. Donnygull

I noticed she didn't mention the bone headed strategy of her son, in introducing the number 1 horses rear in the country to the vice presidential run. Maybe she should look closer to home regarding her statements about Olberman.

Tom Bachman May 14th, 2009 11:34 am ET

From my quick perusal of the liberal wackos that post here, one thing is quite clear: They can't spell or punctuate a sentence.

How many times have GOP trolls used this pathetic attack?

May 14, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  13. Lynn

So sad that the Republicans have to send out their mothers, wives and daughters to defend them. Such courage, integrity and backbone!!

May 14, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  14. Denise

Keith Olberman may be acerbic but at least he doesn't outright lie! He is smart, knows his history and does his research. That puts him eons ahead of the Fix Network guys and gals who make it up as they go along.

May 14, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  15. Barbara

I'm a Democrat who backs what Mrs. McCain is saying about the big mouthed one. If I were a true Republican I would distance myself from this overrated, insulting fool.

May 14, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  16. Randolph Carter

Steve M wrote: why is it that 99.9% of the "patriotic" conservative Republican radio and TV pundits have never served their country in uniform?

Because that's what poor people are for. Have a nice day!

May 14, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. zliu

Shouldn't the title read "McCain takes a swipe at Olbermann"? Oh, but then CNN would be conservative....

May 14, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  18. Pa for Obama

I like Roberta McCain!

May 14, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  19. Where's the Fairness?

CNN shoud change it's name to DNN. The democratic news network.

What a surprise! A no-name says something negative about the republicans and DNN puts it on the front page.

May 14, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. Debra from Georgia

I think mom Mccain can teach us all a lesson about the extreme right and left. Go Mom

May 14, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  21. Bill in Illinois

I love this lady! She has Rush pegged for the idiot that he is. Should the Republican party want to have their "death wish" come true then they need to go no further than allow the mad Rushem to continue to be associated with them and make it appear as if they really are supporting him. The Grand Old Party is sure to become the Gone Old Party unless they distance themselves from this guy.

May 14, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  22. B.H.

Until the GOP dumps idiot Limbaugh, they will continue to go down.

May 14, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  23. true daughter of the american revolution

limbaugh is no big intellectual deal.
    i'd willingly take him on anytime in a debate, the caveat being he could not interrupt. given equal time, his fallacies become exposed.
    he's an obese balloon of drug infused hot air and all it takes is a pin.
    steele shows his lack of intellect by cowtowing to him, as does anyone else.
    the republicans do not deserve to be in power if this is all they have to offer.

May 14, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  24. norman

In Canada we have the same problem buy the moron is named Stephen Harper and he's actually our prime minister!

May 14, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  25. sjh

That gross windbag should be barred from the airways.
    He is no more a Republican than Mayor Daley .

Go after him gal!