May 14th, 2009

McCain mom takes swipe at Limbaugh

McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.
McCain's mother, Roberta, appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Wednesday.

(CNN) - The always-outspoken Roberta McCain - mother of Sen. John McCain - took a swipe at Rush Limbaugh Wednesday, saying the popular conservative radio host "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to".

"I belong to the Republican Party," McCain, 97, said during an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

McCain also praised Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele for labeling Limbaugh an "entertainer" earlier this year during an interview on CNN.

"I think [Steele] was exactly right when he defined this man as an entertainer," she said. "To my horror, the Republican Party made him back up on it."

Limbaugh has long been a critic of John McCain, publicly urging listeners to vote against him during the Republican presidential primaries last year. Most recently, Limbaugh said McCain and his outspoken daughter, Meghan, should follow Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter out of the GOP.

In her appearance on Leno Wednesday, the elder McCain also had some harsh words for liberal television host Keith Olbermann.

"I, myself, can't figure out that type of person who really more or less gets joy out of denigrating people. I'm just not that type of person, I don't have friends like that, and thank God I am not around people like him."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Maurice, NC

I'm a Democrat, but I definitely applaud Mrs. McCain for taking that stand. Rush needs to hide under a rock someplace! Him and Dick Cheney.

May 14, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. g mann

If Rush and all radio talk show people are so smart they need to give solutations to our problems not criticize the people who trying to do something to get our nation on the right track.It is very easy to find fault in someone but it takes a smart person to find soluation and admit that he or she is wrong.

May 14, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Patricia T.

As a liberal Democrat, I say HOORAY for Mrs. McCain. Someone in the Republican party needs to put Rush in his place. Too bad they seem to have no one but Mrs. McCain and her 23-year-old daughter to do the necessary talking back. I disagree with Senator McCain on many issues, but I honor his service to our country. The same goes for Colin Powell. So why do the remnants of the Republican party turn to people like Limbaugh? Try listening to Mom!

May 14, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Don

Good for you Mom. Keep speakiing your heart. I see where your grandaughter got her courage!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. me

How come pure Republicans rushing to defend Rush can't spell or wax coherent?

May 14, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. Puff the Magic Dragon

Mrs McCain is so much wiser than her son John is, and more eloquent. Makes you wonder how that wisdom didnt get passed down.

May 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  7. jeeze

hirouk May 14th, 2009 11:31 am ET

she does not speak for the republican party. she, her son, and her grand daughter are mouthy liberals who do not belong in the republican party.

throw them out.

then support and elect born again christian candidates. we can, and wil, take this country back.

praise jesus!!!

If it's a theocracy you want, please move to Iran.

May 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. DrMan

Why don't you just change the name "ticker" to "bash Republicans." No wonder people are abandoning CNN for MSNBC. At least they admit their leftist bias.

May 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Uncle Ellsworthy

She's absolutely right about Keith Olberman, what a retard as well as a shill for Obama. He is well placed where he is on a loser network where most thinking folks don't have to see or hear his drivel.

May 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Sam

Love this woman! She originated "straight talk." I agree with everything she said - especially her bewilderment by someone like Oberman. That man is simply evil.

May 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Qui-Tam Relator

****************************************************************
    "The Madoff Affair" on PBS.ORG Front Line. The cronology of Bernie Madoff 's scam on the fleecing of America. News our main stream media and our governmwnt doesn't want you to see. A Must See !
    ****************************************************************

May 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. Cheri from VA, North and South

Agrees with Roberta McCain on Limbaugh and Mitt Romney (comments during the campaign) and thinks she should have run for President over her son!!!

May 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. Mark

I agree with her and have long felt the same way. Rush had led the republican party down the wrong path. It no longer resembles the party I once liked. They have gotten too hateful and vindictive. The "my way or the highway" is way too exclusive for me to follow. One step out of line, one disagreement and you need to leave the party. Sounds like the same philosophy that the Nazi party had. Do they have their own spies to rat on those that disobey them?

May 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  14. Jamie

Don't listen to her, Rush. Keep talking: LOUDER. Your mean-spirited, poisonous rants remind us all what the GOP really stands for!

May 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. jay

This is one old lady who will give Rush the finger and not apologize
    I love you Ms McCain.

May 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. pam

It's refreshing to hear a republican that is not cowering down to Rush.

May 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Anyone who stands up to Rash Limpballs can't be bad. How come others haven't done this as well?

Of course he will have something nasty to say about her.

May 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. RCTNYC

Roberta is the kind of Republican for whom my husband's family votes.

They are now voting for Democrats, including Obama (they wouldn't vote for Palin).

May 14, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. WhoCares?

I think alot of older Republicans feel the exact same way.

May 14, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  20. musician

Not a word about Fox. There`s some pretty good denigration going on over there!!!!

May 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. marcus

i'm sure limbaugh is already ripping her on his show, telling her to join the democratic party, and believes he will weazle an apology out of her. i truly enjoy watching the republican party wither itself away to further insignificance at the hand of its favorite tub of lard, blowhard, drug addict racist.. the republican party's true colors have finally shown through, loud and clear, for all to see.

May 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Puff the Magic Dragon

It will be interesting to see if Rush the Entertainer has the gonads to insult a 97 year old lady, no matter who she is. Thats really scraping the bottom of the barrel if he does. I cannot think of anyone, Democrat or Republican, sitting still for that....

May 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Phillip

While Rush is entertainment and Senator McCain is a great warrior for veterns by what right does Mrs. McCain have to claim Rush does not represent the Republican party? Her son certainly does not! Mrs. McCain's son like the other 435 men and women in Congress are there just to enrich themselves at taxpayer expense. Few Deomcrats or Republicans actually hold true to their parties platforms or the wishes of their constituents.

May 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. david

Good for her! GOP is not a regional party, which what Limbaugh is trying to do. Limbaugh's effort will only lead this party to a slow death.

May 14, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  25. carlo

Any Repuplican who doesn't agree with Roberta McCain wants their party to disappear. Pure and simple.

May 14, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |