May 14th, 2009

Obama: Public will force Republicans to compromise

President Obama spoke in a town hall-style meeting today in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (CNN) - Public pressure eventually will force congressional Republicans to cut deals with the Obama administration on big issues such as health care, President Barack Obama predicted Thursday.

Speaking at a town hall-style meeting in New Mexico, Obama noted many Republicans have basic philosophical differences with some of what he has proposed since taking office. But he said his administration has had extensive talks with Republican leaders in Congress and would welcome their help.

"I think that we'll see more and more agreement over time as the Republican Party starts to realize that the American people want results right now," Obama said. "They don't want bickering. And when they realize that, they'll have an open, outstretched hand from me."

The Republican Party largely has resisted Obama's agenda in Congress. No Republicans in the House of Representatives and only three in the Senate supported his economic stimulus program, while filibuster threats have slowed down other measures or nominees.

But Obama said about 100 Republicans voted with House Democrats to support the overhaul of credit-card regulations now pending in the Senate, and several others voted to support an expansion of state children's health insurance programs.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Rose

Obama sounds awfully sure of himself. He is willing to let the public do what he promised in the way of bi partisanship, that sure didn't turn out too well. It is his way or no way and he has made a few mistakes so he should understand that he is not right all the time.
    He was perfectly willing to release the photos until the Military stepped in and advised him how much harm this would create for the military. It just doesn't hurt to listen.

May 14, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  2. Paul

Wow, Jarrod. That was perfect, really. That is by far the most succinct, yet accurate, explanation I've heard of the eight preceding Obama's inauguration. I wish I could have come up with it myself, but I'm just regaining my senses following the abuse of America by the Bush administration and the Republican party.

May 14, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  3. Allen

Hey Reatte, Beaumont, Texas:

I hope you get your wish and die a Republican dummy that you are. Going by your logic, all those big businesses and and small businesses with their hands out who cried to the Bush administration that they are too big to fail are a bunch of freeloaders. It is capitalism when big and small capitalists come hat in hand to the government, but socialism, when poor and middle class people do the same. I now have it figured out. Government should only be there just for the rich. That's what conservatism is all about.

May 14, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Big-K

Fat chance, those southern republicans will be aganist any and everything that comes from President Obama, they will even load any spending bills with pork, complain and still vote aganist it. They will keep wining about partisanship however, americans know their true agenda.

May 14, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  5. annie for Palin

everything that comes out of his mouth is a LIE!

May 14, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  6. Rob

Amen Jarred!!!

– except that Texas leaving bit...

May 14, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  7. Polly

I think he really wants to change things. I don't want it. I don't want him to take opportunity away from the people. I don't want to live in another kind of society. I like America and I want John McCain to be President.

May 14, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  8. Gene

Wow Johnq

You sure told me. Let me reword it then. We the people in this REPUBLIC... democratic Republic.. elected Barack Obama because the MAJORITY of people in this Democratic Republic wanted to elect a president who represented the changes that Obama is offering. Therefore.. once again.. the Republicans are still fighting the will of the people.

May 14, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  9. Chris

Call me the last of the optimists, but I still have hope that Obama and his 'crowd' will come back to their senses and REDUCE the tax load on those who are working to earn their way. Come back to their senses and quit giving money away to people who NEVER worked and give it to those on Social Security who earned all of those tax dollars.

May 14, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  10. Doug

Where was all this bipartisanship the last 8 years.
    The only thing you are getting out of Obama is help out those who screw themselves over. I over spent my credit card can you help me out of debt.
    I bought a 1 million dollar hhouse when i could only afford a 75,000 dollar house when is amerca going to wake up and realise itself that people need to do things for themselves and not rely on others?

May 14, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  11. Neil

It's a savvy political ploy straight out of the Emmanuel/Carville strategy book. It one press conference the Democrats dictate the Republican agenda for opposition and pronounces failure. What's really pathetic is the Republicans will go for it, properly avoiding any serious consideration of issues the President doesn't want them involved in.
    It was Emmanuel and Carville who anointed Limbaugh the head of the GOP and branded Steele a Tom. The Party swallowed that hook, line and sinker. Cheney even bought it. Why shouldn't it work for the agenda?

May 14, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  12. Perusing-through

No offense Mr. President, , , , but if the Republicans maintain their obstructionist ways, they will become irrelevant and will eventually whither away. This is much preferred.

May 14, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  13. Buddy Gilmour

Republicans are scrambling to come up with a new winning formula. But it won't be as easy as it was last time, when their Southern Strategy split off the white southern element through the use of racist code words and an appeal to religious fundamentalists. By alienating people of color the GOP has consigned itself to a long time in the wilderness. I anticipate at least 16 years of Democratic rule. The disaster of the 8 years of Bush-Cheney accelerated this process.

May 14, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  14. Boudin

Look at any country in the world that has socialized medicine.It does not work and now this country;s medical system will be ruined also. And I am a democrat.

May 14, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  15. john

Republicans can stop their whining and get on the train the only way I will vote for them is if they propose abolishing the monetary system itself until then stop whining about its inevitable shortcomings Obama is trying to plug

May 14, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  16. marge

I hope President Obama is wrong...I hope the Rethugs continue on their path to destruction...
    It's going to be a Loooong time before a Rethug lives in the WH again.
    Change has come to America....Rethugs!!!!! LOL!LOL!

May 14, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  17. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

It takes two to "bicker," Mr President. Abandon your efforts to impose ever more intrusive government on the country and we'll stop "bickering."

May 14, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  18. Rick Sutter

There is no such thing as bipartisanship. It is simply a term used by the party in power to browbeat the party out of power. Grow up people. We have a two party system. It will always be ugly and contentious. I would be very concerned if we had just one party (unless it was MY party).

May 14, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. L.T. Lehnerz

Compromising with Obama is like compromising with the devil. How anyone can support this idiot is beyond comprehension,

May 14, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama is right, we don't need to conform to the Republicans so don't engage yourself in their none sensical trivial bull which is much about nothing. Stay focused, we will the next election.

May 14, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. H2012

This thread is hilarious...

And, I really wish that you people could get it right. The United States government is a Federal Republic...it took about 4 of you to get that wrong...

May 14, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |