May 14th, 2009

Obama: Public will force Republicans to compromise

President Obama spoke in a town hall-style meeting today in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (CNN) - Public pressure eventually will force congressional Republicans to cut deals with the Obama administration on big issues such as health care, President Barack Obama predicted Thursday.

Speaking at a town hall-style meeting in New Mexico, Obama noted many Republicans have basic philosophical differences with some of what he has proposed since taking office. But he said his administration has had extensive talks with Republican leaders in Congress and would welcome their help.

"I think that we'll see more and more agreement over time as the Republican Party starts to realize that the American people want results right now," Obama said. "They don't want bickering. And when they realize that, they'll have an open, outstretched hand from me."

The Republican Party largely has resisted Obama's agenda in Congress. No Republicans in the House of Representatives and only three in the Senate supported his economic stimulus program, while filibuster threats have slowed down other measures or nominees.

But Obama said about 100 Republicans voted with House Democrats to support the overhaul of credit-card regulations now pending in the Senate, and several others voted to support an expansion of state children's health insurance programs.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. sharon in pa

I've been a republican 3+ decades and would love a quality, affordable health care system. This is the 3rd time i've been w/out health insurance due to not enough $ to pay for it and for 5 yrs paid $330/month plus $1500 deductible plus $250 RX deductible because i was self employed...but i earned too much $ for the state programs....there has to be a way to provide health care to everyone in a responsible way, w/lots of preventive care and education. Stop fighting against it. Work together to create a good system!

May 14, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. Tim

Hey all you liberals, I did not hear you say praise be to him after each of your posts.

May 14, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. Harley

He only want to compromise so if things go bad he can say it was bipartisan !!! ( and it will go bad, and that will prove he is not God but a MARXIST )

May 14, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. Jon

Yes, we only need to concede the constitution. Oh wait, republican's already did. If I could move to a country that followed our constitution, I would.

May 14, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Sniffit

@ Gerda

You're right...that is what I meant...hard to think straight with these GOPers boiling my blood.

May 14, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  6. Jon

To those saying republican's ran the country into the ground, those guys were not republicans. Their socaily/religiously consverative democrats. Democrats are now just radical democrats that are not socially/religiously conservative.

May 14, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. Stephanie

I am in the top income bracket.
    I have worked steadily since the age of 17 (I'm 44).
    I work for a major Wall Street firm.
    I love this country.
    I am a Democrat and I voted for Pres. Obama.
    I will undoubtedly pay higher taxes in the future.
    I have no regrets.
    And I'm not alone.

May 14, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. JW Morrison

If he has both houses of Congress why does he need Republican compromise? This is just a political move, imo. I am not a Republican anymore but I remain a conservative. As long as the idea of the Republican Party is to compromise on their principles, then they can do it without me.

The Democrats are slowly dismantling all that made this country great and as long as the people want that to happen, it will. In a few years the people will wake up, I hope, to the reality. It does seem that the government is striving to kill off any individualism or criticism of its policies. I don't know when, but one day this country will rise up and take it's rights backs.

May 14, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  9. Jon

Leesa, the government doing socail security, medicare, or any form of health care refrom revolving a program that takes money is unconstitutional, and yes its socialism. Just remember that the federal government can't give what it first doesn't take.

May 14, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  10. Sniffit

@ Gerda

As for the raw statistics. NO. That's like looking at the big picture through the eye of a needle and anyone willing to fall for it isn't paying attention.

May 14, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  11. truth is liberal sort of

Sorry your majesty, we will NOT accept soialism.

May 14, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  12. Frank, Las Vegas

I doubt if the GOP will ever come around, but that's ok, after 2010 when the GOP is down to 10% it won't make any difference anyway. The President won't need them.

May 14, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. WhoCares?

Well Robin..

It's nice to know your compassion extends only as far as yourself.

I have a great job and pretty decent healthcare also....but I also have some compassion for those getting utterly screwed by over-inflated health costs due to insurance and drug companies.

Yes, I know in your compassion you will just label all of them jobless welfare users. I know the drill.

May 14, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. Karen S Crow

Jarrod ... the reason why so few received tax cuts ... is because better than HALF of America doesn't PAY taxes, you nincompoop!

People may fill out tax forms .. but when they get back WAAY more than they paid in due to Earned Income Credits & other garbage ... the Internal Revnue Service is more like the Income Redistribution System.

May 14, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  15. Dave in Illinois

Obama's definition of bi-partisanship is to simply say "Yes" to the bills written by Pelosi and Reed in the House and Senate because "they won." Flowery speeches read off a teleprompter are great for campaigns but not for running an administration, escpecially now that the Democrats are starting to bicker among themselves as to how far left they should go.

I don't have to agree with Limbaugh or Cheney or anyone else to disagree with where Obama wants to take this country!

May 14, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  16. Rob Johnson

When Obama first called attention to Rush Limbaugh, I thought it was a mistake, if only because it gave Rush the attention he craves.

However, it has turned into yet another brilliant strategic move by Obama. Sure, the conservatives rallied to Limbaugh's defense, but in the process they have driven any reasonable, moderate Republicans out of the party. Checkmate Obama.

The GOP can stick with Limbaugh and die an embarrassing death, or they can do as Obama suggests and act like grownups. I think I know which path they are going to take, but I pray I'm wrong.

May 14, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  17. Karen S Crow

Revenue.

Darn happy fingers!

May 14, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  18. Proud Member..Party of No

Obama is not a socialist....he is a full-blown communist.

May 14, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  19. YBM

Yes, but the american people, the thinking ones anyway, don't want results that are going to be bad for the country. Such as most of the policies Obama has put in place so far. Well, as science has proven, black people are genetically less intelligent than white people(its true, look it up). Even GW had a higher IQ than Obama has (though not by much).

May 14, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  20. Harley

Jarrod you are nut's did you forget SEPT 11 this is not the same world we use to live !!!! That is why Pres. Bush Spent our money the way he did !!! Your Obama can't say Pres. is spending more money then Pres. Bush EVER DID !!!

May 14, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  21. Jaime Gertz

I cannot see America turning the way of France, England, or Germany where the economy is run by socialist governments. Even acts of their parliaments cannot change the cradle to grave jobs (along with high unemployment) or socialized medicine (where medical care is rationed.) The moral decline of this country will certainly guide us to the same position as these countries. God help us.

May 14, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  22. Jarrod

Im not afraid of terrorists. Im afraid of Republicans. These people are like cro-magnon. Lets all drive massive trucks that get 10 miles to the gallon then go have wars for oil and wave a flag about how much freedom our wars bring. You want to see freedom? Go talk to an Iraqi, ask them how free they are. No jobs, electricity not at pre-war levels, sectarian voilence, the rise of religious extremism. Wow, we accomplished alot. And yet, the flag waving NRA bible thumper party still wont get it. They would rather watch healthcare companies rape us, than reform... because rush told them its socialist. A note: the happiest people on earth are in Denmark, where they get free education and free healthcare. Oh, how terrible socialism is. Of course, Republicans need to avoid education, and educated electorate wouldnt put them in power.

May 14, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. SLM

No, Just say No to any and all of the bad proposals. Democrats would always block anything that involved a tax cut and allowing those who work for their money to keep some of it. GOP looks out for the interest of those who "work" for their money and Democrats have always wanted to take money from those who "work".

NO, NO, No to bad Democratic proposals and spending sprees.

May 14, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  24. arithmetic is liberal

Robin May 14th, 2009 5:57 pm ET

Never had a problem with my healthcare and prescription plan. But then again, I have a job, so I earn it.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Well, that makes you better that us with jobs and no healthcare I guess.

I hope God doesn't decide to smack you down for your arrogance, one day.

May 14, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  25. Donna from Colorado Springs

I do hope that public pressure will force those pesky Republicans to co-operate, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll leave the breath holding and tantrum throwing to those who do it the best.......the Republicans!

May 14, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |