May 14th, 2009

Obama: Public will force Republicans to compromise

President Obama spoke in a town hall-style meeting today in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (CNN) - Public pressure eventually will force congressional Republicans to cut deals with the Obama administration on big issues such as health care, President Barack Obama predicted Thursday.

Speaking at a town hall-style meeting in New Mexico, Obama noted many Republicans have basic philosophical differences with some of what he has proposed since taking office. But he said his administration has had extensive talks with Republican leaders in Congress and would welcome their help.

"I think that we'll see more and more agreement over time as the Republican Party starts to realize that the American people want results right now," Obama said. "They don't want bickering. And when they realize that, they'll have an open, outstretched hand from me."

The Republican Party largely has resisted Obama's agenda in Congress. No Republicans in the House of Representatives and only three in the Senate supported his economic stimulus program, while filibuster threats have slowed down other measures or nominees.

But Obama said about 100 Republicans voted with House Democrats to support the overhaul of credit-card regulations now pending in the Senate, and several others voted to support an expansion of state children's health insurance programs.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Frank in NJ

Obama is a scumbag

May 14, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. phoenix86

Sniffit:

100% of the American people are going to receive a tax increase. It will either be direct (income tax) or indirect (payroll tax, reduced tax deduction, cap & trade, etc.).

Don't be naive. Obama promised change and that is what he will leave you with.

May 14, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. T in NV

Robin – I hope you never lose your job because then you will have no health care. Obama's plan will allow you to BUY into a health care plan like what Congress enjoys.

May 14, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. I think they will get voted out of office first

I predict the party of no will get voted out

and with any luck the independants will rise from their ashes

May 14, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. MatthewDetroit

Now barack is going to build a nice social medicare system. Bankrupt the country, destroy pharmaceuticals, ruin our health care, and make people stand in line like they do in europe.
    Yes he will get a not so smart public to support him in destroying the United States of America. King barack the great person who brought the USA down will be remembered in the history books as would Chavez in Venezuela.

May 14, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Ula Nejad-Sacramento ,Ca

So the public is going to do what he should have done from the day he won to the day he was sworn into office? Not so fast. Public ain't doing your dirty work for you or pick up your dirty socks for you. You screwed bipartisanship with your stimulus bill and now you want the public to do your job for $0. Use your mouthpiece Michelle. She has been good at it so far. Invite Elmo.

May 14, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

Get over yourself folks. Founding Fathers my foot. America needs a new direction. No one is steering completely away from what the founding fathers had in mind but I am sure they did not have that an AA President would be here today in mind.

May 14, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. Lynn West Bloomfield, Michigan

Republicans hate. They are incapable of working with, listening to or respecting anyone who does not think or look EXACTLY as they do. It was their downfall in 2008 and it will continue to be their downfall.

No matter. We will go along without them and they will, of course, suck up as much of the reformed health care system that they can.

May 14, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. IS IT 2012 YET ??

Americans voted for Obama because they liked him – not his policies. The Republicans do not need to compromise – all they have to do is wait out Obama's personal popularity – and the loss of Democrat seats in 2010.

May 14, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  10. Mom

So..... compromise now means one side doesn't give in at all and the other side has full control. That sounds more like dictatorship... Might want to look up the definition of "compromise".

May 14, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. Matt

Why is it with most dictators they think that compromise involves obedience and submission to their views? If Bush talked like this there would be tons of people on here calling him a facists. Yet when Barack Obama says it the sheep willingly follow and idiots talking about how great his speech was.

When did half of America surrender their ability to think for themseves?

May 14, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Obama!!!

What Republican Party?? OH there still is one???

Well I think the Republican party has left a foul taste in Majority of Americans Mouths and Rush Limbaugh is continuing to make us NOT Like Republicans anymore. Its making me for one scared to even attempt to vote that way knowing the things he says and the majority of Republicans who follow what he says and supports it.

I vote all Democrat anyday anymore. Republicans are losing it. I wouldnt be suprised if some Republicans slipped away and formed a new party and Republicans become obsolete

May 14, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  13. Allen

The President may be engaging in wishful thinking. These Republicans are desperate. They don't see any benefit for them to work with this President. Remember, they are now the party of NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of their leaders believe that the only way to regain their conservative highground is by saying NO! to whatever the President and the Democratic Congress want to implement to clean up the frigging mess they created. They are aware that they may be in the wilderness for years if the Prez and the Dems clean up their mess just like FDR did, Clinton did after Reagan and Papa Bush, and Obama is now doing after Bush Jr.

May 14, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. vet

Love all these socialists blabbing about Nobama and the Demo elites that they support. How many of you people have defended this country? Not too many I bet. My 20 years of service give you the right to push your nonsense. Spending money you don't have to fix the problems that people who can control themselves is the answer? I think not. So now you have Congress full of people who want to spend money that does not belong to them to bail out a bunch of people who spent money they didn't have to begin with. You guys make me sick. Get a job stop depending on others you bunch of whinning idiots. EARN YOUR KEEP!!!!!!!!!! STOP WHINNING AND DO FOR YOURSELVES. BY THE WAY " IN GOD WE TRUST " "GOD BLESS AMERICAN AND THE TROOPS THAT KEEP U.S. FREE.

May 14, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  15. Bud Burgoon-Clark

@ROBIN:

I had a job, and I earned it, for fifty years. Now I'm elderly, disabled, and poor, and I need the government's help.

Get over it.

We don't set our elderly out on ice floes to be eaten by polar bears.

May 14, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  16. Polly

The American public don't want a bad result, or "quick fix." We need a plan- and a plan B- since plan A doesn't always work. We need what is best for our country- right now and in the long run. I think Americans will compromise where they have to in order to put the country's best interest first. Let's make sure that what is best for the country is what we are striving for.

May 14, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  17. m smith

The government will not decide which doctor you go to . Do you people not listen??? I have health insurance and I work but I pay a fortune and my perscription coverage is terrible. I have a rare condition and Pay almost 400.00 a month and thats with insurance. I barely get by. I sure want help if I can get it. And so do a lot of people. The repo idiots need to wake up. If you don't start working with the President you can forget the next election. Im keeping a list of all the crazies and sure don"t plan to vote for any of them. It is obvious that most repos are not to bright or they wouldn't be so against health care reform.

May 14, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. Slider

You are absolutely correct that the people want results right now, Mr. President.

It's going to be enjoyable watching you explain over the course of the next three years why after spending so much money, we will be in a stagflated economy with no real positive result.

May 14, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  19. Allen in Hartwell GA

Republican politicians will have to start supporting the president or face their pissed-off electorate. We are tired of the RNC puppets trying to block everything Obama suggests.

May 14, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. Don't count on it----

Obama is ONE and DONE--the economy is sinking into a depression and he will eventually pay the price--his popularity will wilt as unemplyoment continues to rise and people are forced out of their homes-

May 14, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. Felicia

I wouldn't count on my President looking for the repigs to agree with anything he has too offer. The repigs wants to see Obama fail. That's all nothing else.

May 14, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. Robert

Republican's have demonstrated time and time again (Hoover, Reagan, Bushes), that they are incapable of governing in an effective manner. However, they are not all that bad as the opposition party. They kept Bill Clinton from falling into the extreme liberalism trap, and: no matter what you think of Bill's personal (private) behaviors, he was the most effective president of the last fifty years. I strongly believe in the two party system. It is not necessary that we all join hands in consensus agreement on every issue.

May 14, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  23. Polly

...we'll have an open out-stretched hand from me...weird...this guy thinks we all need him to "save" us...I'll wait for Jesus.

May 14, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  24. Amanda

The Republicans are history. There is nothing to compromise about.

May 14, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Polly

"They don't want bickering...and when they realize that?"
    Wait a minute, if we didn't want it, then we would have already realized that...you are trying to put words into people's mouths.

May 14, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |