May 15th, 2009

A Kennedy weighs in on Virginia governors race

Kennedy is backing Moran.
Kennedy is backing Moran.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A member of the Kennedy clan is making an endorsement in the Virginia governor's race.

Rhode Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy, the son of Sen. Ted Kennedy, announced on Friday that he's backing Democrat Brian Moran.

"Last November, families in Virginia and across the nation helped usher in a new generation of leadership," Kennedy said in a statement. "However, the need for this new generation of leaders is not confined to Washington and the White House."

It's another example - after Ted and Caroline Kennedy's endorsement of Barack Obama in 2008 - of the Kennedy family keeping its political distance from Bill and Hillary Clinton. Moran's rival for the Democratic nomination, after all, is longtime Clinton ally Terry McAuliffe. The former president has been campaigning for McAuliffe throughout the commonwealth this week.

With low turnout expected in the June 9 primary, each campaign hopes that these brand name endorsements will help them win the support of the Democratic loyalists likely to go to the polls on election day.

Moran and McAuliffe are competing against Democrat Creigh Deeds for their party's nomination. The winner of that primary will face Republican Bob McDonnell in the general election.

The endorsement is not the only Kennedy boost Moran is getting: Ethel Kennedy, the widow of former Senator Robert F. Kennedy, is hosting a fundraiser for Moran on May 27 at her home, Hickory Hill in McLean.

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Independent in Virginia

McAuliffe is not even a Virginian! He's never been involved with politics here except for campaigning, and is a typical New England-Dem that is not way what Virginia needs or wants (according to recent polls at least).

He's trying to buy out 2 respected Democratic candidates who have served Virginia for years in an attempt to do another "nasty" campaign with a respected Republican who has also served Virginia for years.

How McAuliffe even thought to come down here is beyond me...

May 15, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. Pat F

I can see how a Kennedy would be reluctant to soil his family's good and clean reputation by not wanting to associate with Clintonistas. It's like Charles Manson not wanting to soil his good name by associating with Ted Bundy.

May 15, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Jenn, Philadelphia

And we care, why? I hope he wasn't on Ambien when he made the endorsement. I do not understand this nation's love affair with the Kennedy family. Name one successful thing JFK did in his administration. Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis? Name one thing this family has contributed to this country that hasn't appeared in the National Enquirer first.

May 15, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  4. Mississippi Mike

"Who will the evil libs of Northern Virginia pick?

Let us hope that the good people in the rest of the state defeat the hateful, dishonest, mean, selfish, evil libs of the Northern part, if you have ever had to deal with them before then you know that these libs in the North-East are the worst human beings in this nation."

You hear about how rude and nasty people are in Northern Virginia but until you've lived there, you really can't get a good grasp on it. I've never been around a more self-absorbed, angry group of people in my life. It's not just the young people either, the old people are just as vile and vicious as anyone else.

May 15, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. Republicans for failure

I take great joy in watching the agony of the republicans make their comical posts each day.Have another straw,matt from Detroit and dougie houser from n.j.

May 15, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  6. Pat F

@arithmetic is liberal – on your calling me a liar yesterday: I think you have me confused with someone else.

I'm 100% Italian-American. I was baptized a Catholic, I was married in the Catholic church, and I intend on dying and being buried from the Catholic church.

Not sure what you were reading, but I'm not a Protestant – I never have been, and I'm not planning on dressing up like one for Halloween.

I guess "reading is conservative".

May 15, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. w.l. jones

I thought virginia were one of the fourfront collonial in which we became a country thereby they had to be liberal. Its appears the state know what best for the country.

May 15, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  8. Dave in Illinois

Well, I'm not going to vote until I hear who Megan McCain, a similarly important political statesman, is supporting.

(This is called satire. Look it up.)

May 15, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. john

Is anybody else sick of Kennedy's? The whole klan needs to jump off a bridge.

May 15, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  10. NVa Native

Wow Dougie, you are a bitter little man.
    I'm sure Rush is back on your radio, just put the head phones back on and go back to your happy place in that NJ trailer park.

May 15, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. leon

All members of Kennedy family should stayed quiet adn let Americanto have new leaders. I am tired of the so called aristocratic Kennedy family. After all how is Ted Kennedy he left a woman die after he drove drunk into a lake and did nothing to help her he was involved in a murder and nothing happend to him

The Clintons rescued Ted Kennedy when he was loosing his senate position again Mitt Rommey and what did Teddy did he betrayed the Clintons to show that he still holds the Party

May 15, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. Dan in NC

I don't know too much about him. Is he as sorry as the rest of the Kennedy bunch?

May 15, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. Longhorn7

Has this Kennedy hurt someone. There sure is a trail of suspicious activity surrounding this family How can anyone put any faith in such happenings as the girl knocked in the head with a golf club the secretary going into the river. I for one will pass on any endorsement of the Kennedys.

May 15, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  14. Still looking to visit the other 7 states above 50

Is he the one that raped that girl?

May 15, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  15. Reverend

I can tell you right now that's the kiss of death in the Commonwealth. We don't like carpetbaggers, and we don't like people from the outside injecting themselves into our campaigns.

May 15, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  16. stormerF

When are we going to run out of Kennedy's and who cares what the Hell they Think any way?...Are the People of Virginia so Stupid they can not chose who they want to represent them,and need help from the Kennedy clan?...Lets get back to Lying Pelosi and why she knew but did nothing,Or did nothing but knew about waterboarding?How the CIA duped her into knowing about waterboarding,but doing nothing about it.

May 15, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. Judge Smails

So?

May 15, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  18. JOE

Please...NO more Kennedy's...We have had our fill of them...Time to move on...

May 15, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  19. Rick in OP

I do not care what anybody with the last name of Kennedy has to say about anything at any time....ever.

May 15, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  20. Ken

The ONLY Kennedy's that I had any respect for were John and Robert. Their time on this earth was way too short. At least they represented the Democrat party that my parents knew and respected, not the highjacked party of today.

May 15, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. Larry, Los Angeles CA

Who cares what the Kennedy's think! Didn't this guy reck his car drunk driving a few years back. He obviously has crappy judgement!

May 15, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  22. Texas Teacher

The Kennedy's have always supported We, the People! Even though they are rich... they care..... and they have made the ultimate sacrifice with the loss of their family members in the name of freedom for ALL!

May 15, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Padraig

I have to agree, no more Kennedy's. I hoped the broke the mold after Teddy.

May 15, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. terry in fl

Oh god. Please...no more Kennedy's.

May 15, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. Ellie Hawking

Did he endorse Moran (moron?) at 3 a.m. right before a "Vote", and ram the guard shack on the way in to speak? Shut up, bozo. I am sick and tired of the Kennedy's!

May 15, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |