May 15th, 2009

Gore takes aim at Cheney

Gore criticized Cheney today in an interview with CNN.
Gore criticized Cheney today in an interview with CNN.

(CNN) – Former Vice President Al Gore Friday took his successor Dick Cheney to task for aggressively criticizing President Obama so soon into the new commander-in-chief's presidency.

In an interview with CNN, Gore said he himself had refrained from criticizing President Bush until well into the run up to the Iraq war - more than two years after the Clinton administration came to an end.

"I waited two years after I left office to make statements that were critical, and then of the policy," he said. "You know, you talk about somebody that shouldn't be talking about making the country less safe, invading a country that did not attack us and posed no serious threat to us at all."

During a series of television interviews in recent weeks, Cheney has repeatedly criticized the Obama administration for its national security policies.

"He can speak for himself," Gore also said of the former vice president. "And I have a feeling that members of his own party wish that he would not do that. But I'll let that be an argument between him and them."

"He has become, in many ways, the leading spokesman for his party during this period of time. And the message is one that he's deciding to deliver," said Gore.

Filed under: Al Gore • Dick Cheney
  1. Moe NY

Not to worry VP Gore, as nobody in their right mind will take anything Cheney has to say as the truth. Cheney and company need to be brought up on charges, not only for torture, but other issues as well.

May 15, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  2. Gerry

Pelosi, Reid, Gore – Dumb, Dummer, Dumbest

May 15, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. Pragmatic

ray, ray comments ... "I am amazed the democrat party still exists!" Then he/she will be in for an amazing 8 years to come ... old, dead-eye Dick is pathetically attempting to re-write history. If Cheney has wanted to declassify these documents on torture ... he had the power until several months ago ... and didn't.

Those who don't care for Al Gore still have to convince people that a 5 deferment chicken-hawk, Halliburton flunky who held secret meetings with Big Oil, outed a CIA agent and let Scooter twist in the wind is worth the space he takes up and the oxygen he uses.

May 15, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. Andy

Reply to ray ray:
    You, Cheney, Bush, Gringrich, and the biggest liar on earth, your God Limbaugh can all go straight to hell. We are taking this country back from you and your Taliban, self-righteous, king-S### know it alls, whom have almost brought us to almost total ruin.

May 15, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. A little sad

ray ray May 15th, 2009 5:51 pm ET

Oh that's riiiight!!

I remember when Al Gore lost the "slam-dunk" election… and went into hiding … becoming a fat, bearded professor teaching about (lol) journalism.

Al Gore is nothing more than a carnival barker in a suit. Between him and Nancy Pelosi… I am amazed the democrat party still exists!

**********************************

May 15, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. di from NC

Al Gore is one of the smartest men in this country, and he would have made one of the best Presidents in history if the repbugs hadn't STOLEN the election of 2000. He never said he invented the internet, he introduced the bill that set up the workings of the internet. Most of the scientfic world has agreed of global warming and it takes a moron to think that Fox News knows more about it than they do. About the 9-11 comment, one thing I am sure of , Al Gore would not have ignored the inteligence reports before it happened like Bush did and it possibly would not have happened . You folks on the right amaze me with your " anything to keep us safe" attitude. I'm a democrat and I would always want to do the right and honorable thing no matter how safe I am. Every time I hear someone say that I think, "which side is brave and which side wants to hide in a hole and torture people ?"

May 15, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Go Big Al!!

Thank you VP Gore for taking on Dr. Evil ... I am eagerly awaiting your new work on climate change. Thank you for your service, so unlike the mindlessness, greed and destructiveness of your successor, who has brought the world to the brink. It would be refreshing to see more VP Gore on the news shows to balance out Strangelove.

May 15, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. Jonathan

I find it hard to believe that any rational person could actually defend the election of Bush over Gore. Al Gore is an actual statesman and additionally an intelligent, well spoken man. Then again, this whole eight year debacle has finally revealed the real Republican menace to the nation. With any luck, Bush and Cheney may be the last Republican administration ever elected. Cheney please ignore the very wise advice of Al Gore and keep shooting your mouth off, non-stop, everyday! I can only hope the media gives him 24 hour coverage!

May 15, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. Cobra Montana

Anyone that takes Gore seriously needs to be commited!

May 15, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  10. Gore is a phony

Love how Liberals are always coming out and saying "what he meant to say" or "what he should have said". Guess what, it's what he said, how do you know what he should have said or meant to say? He said he invented the internet. Do you need some Q-tips to clean out your ears?

May 15, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  11. Peter

I wonder how the past 8 years would be like with Gore as president...?

May 15, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  12. Justin M

Gore is awesome. He is the only politician I know that has "ridden the mighty moon worm:

May 15, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  13. Donna from Colorado Springs

Al Gore had the class to not criticize Bush immediately.....too bad we can't say the same for poor pathetic Dick Cheney! He's so desperate to keep his legacy alive at the expense of his own party that he isn't smart enough to realize that he is hurting his party! I don't have much sympathy for stupid people, so go ahead and keep running your mouth, Dick. Everytime you make a fool of yourself, the Democratic party gets even stronger! The only person who cares what you have to say is yourself..........the rest of us aren't listening anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  14. Angie

Go Big Al!! May 15th, 2009 6:24 pm ET
    _______________________________________________________
    AMEN!!!!

May 15, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  15. Robert

Mr. Cheney,

Which Category do you belong to?
    1. Genius Men Learn from Others’ Mistakes.
    2. Wise Men Learn from their Own Mistakes.
    3. Idiot Men Never Learn.

May 15, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. GOPer

Cheney and Gore going at it is like a bad sequel to Dumb and Dumber. Cheney needs to go back to his undisclosed location and Gore needs to go measure melting glaciers in Antarctica. Both are useless and drag their party’s down.

May 15, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  17. SLM

I don't think anyone could have prevented 9/11, we were caught off guard. But if Al Gore were president I do NOT think he would have handled the situation well. He would have been out there negotiating with the terrorists and more attacks would have been likely. Like him or not Bush was a better person to be in office at that time. You will never know that Bush kept us safe, since there haven't been any more attacks on US soil. Therefore you can all continue your Bush bashing. However, if there had been more attacks, then what? So easy to bash when there is nothing to show you what the alternative could have been. For Liberals to be so hell bent on supporting anyone with the Liberal label just shows you have lost your ability to think for yourself. That makes you just what the Liberals want, they want you to need the government to take care of you and make your decisions for you. Too bad the country seems to be going that mindless directions where it is easier to be taken care of.

May 15, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Patti

Gore me we claimed he invented the Internet. Amazing how you Cheney lovers stick with your long disproven talking points. Cheney is a crimminal who profited off the blood of our citizens. Gore however, did not.

May 15, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. Ray Ray

@ Andy who spews,

"I despise Bush, Cheny, and Limbaugh to the depths of my very soul. So, you and I are 180 degrees out of phase. Know this – there are hundreds of millions JUST LIKE ME. Your sorry heros may be locked up real soon. They suck!
    Time for a civil war? Let's "Bring em on" bud. I'll defend my street and you defend yours. Either way, your guys are OUT SON!"

----------–

Two words for you: Get Counseling.

May 15, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. Amy

If only the Supreme Court had not handed the 2000 election to Bush on a silver platter...

May 15, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

I wonder how many have thought about how different the world might be today if this man rather than the other had become president 8 years ago.

May 15, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. Ray Ray

@ a little sad writes,

"And the last election shows how badly the Democrats are hurting. Can you spell 'landslide"?

--------

Yes I can spell l-a-n-d-s-l-i-d-e. The better question is – do you even KNOW what a political landslide really is?

The US is fairly evenly divided politically. Obama won by 4%. If you want to see a landslide... go back to Carter V Reagan. Likely you'll have to research the results as you were not yet out of diapers during the '80 election?

May 15, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. Minnesotan

Score: Gore: 1; Cheney: -10,000

May 15, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. RCLGuard

The consumate statesman. I love Gore.

May 15, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. Clinton Flunky

Al were'nt you the inventor of the internet? Thats all I need to hear to let me know you are full of BS. You are the epitome of hot air and with all of your wind we could provide energy for the world for decades. Please go back under the rock you came from {although it may have to be a large one} and shut your ignorant mouth.

May 15, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |