May 15th, 2009

PEOPLE: Bristol Palin graduates high school

Bristol Palin has graduated from high school.
Bristol Palin has graduated from high school.

Looking like a lot of her classmates – giddy and irreverent, wearing a silly necklace of Blow-Pop lollipops strung together with curly gift ribbon – Bristol Palin stepped toward the stage in Wasilla Sports Complex Thursday night to receive her high school diploma, more a worried mom than a jubilant teen.

"Where's my baby?" Bristol mouthed, searching the two front rows where her family sat until she finally spotted son Tripp near the backstage door, where Bristol's Aunt Heather was feeding the infant a bottle. With a wave to the little one she alternately calls "Handsome" and "My Guy," Bristol crossed the stage – and crossed "graduate high school" off her to-do list.

"I knew it would be hard work, but I knew I was going to do it," Bristol, 19, tells PEOPLE.

Full story from People Magazine

Filed under: Bristol Palin
  1. KLK

This is excellent news, but I has no idea she was that old.

May 15, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. Nero

Just another really dumb kid who had no good parental guidance, except really ignorant assessment of the world... Like Mom like daughter; she'll need to attend 10 colleges before getting her Bachelor. Talk about dumb, dumber...

May 15, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. Not this Time

My Daughter Lisa graduated from Norfolk State University last saturday; So what! Who cares if "Payleen"s daughter graduated from low-school.

May 15, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. Dan

The story of a young girl graduating from high school that will now give the blog community another opportunity to spew their hate for a former President, the GOP, and her mother.

May 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. CNN = Jerry Springer of News

OK, I usually hate to make personal comments about people on these sites, especially a young woman, but aren't high school graduates usually 17 or 18?

May 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  6. Leesa

I wish her all the luck and success in the future. Having a child in high school is not the end of the world. And stop judging, people, many of us were just one or two circumstances away from a very similar story!

May 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  7. Beth

Good grief...you'd think she was the ONLY teenager to ever get pregnant and graduate high school. Sadly, there are plenty of girls out there who don't have the luxury of having a family with money, support and private tutors to help the process a long. I'm sure Bristol isn't juggling regular school, a part-time job at McDonald's and a baby. No, she has time to jet off to NYC to speak at a convention about preventing teen pregnancy. Which, is great...and more power to her...and I hope it helps. But, give me a break. Great...she graduated. Whoop-de-do. Now what??

May 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  8. Sarah K.

Accountability!

I admire you for being sooooo perfect and having a perfect family!!!! You are super-human!!

May 15, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Anonymous

No one cares!!

May 15, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  10. John

Her mom will get her a job. LOL

May 15, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  11. Eric M

That's a rather ignorant comment, Accountability. Young mothers go to college and graduate every single year. The Palin family certainly should have the means to send their daughter to college, especially if reports on Sarah's book deal are accurate.

Not to mention that there is a long list of self-made millionaires that did so without the benefit of a college degree.

If her last name was anything other than Palin I wager you'd be singing a different tune.

May 15, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  12. Callmecrazy

I have been out of HS for ten years, but I am pretty sure that graduating high school isn't THAT hard...I barely did anything AND graduated with honors...sans child...so maybe that was it.

May 15, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. Michael Carr

Congratulations. She will make it. She has her mother's grace, courgae and grit.

May 15, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. Tania

How many millions are graduating?

May 15, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  15. John

college for Bristol???

NOT. how bout a reality show of the Palin's!

May 15, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  16. Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadu

Good for her.

May 15, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. Rhonda

Congrats! Hopefully she will serve as a role model so other teens stick to it and get their diplomas.

May 15, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. Shasta

Thanks for the news. Now I can get on with my day.

May 15, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  19. Dave in Naperville

congratulations

May 15, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  20. bendo

Oh great! now she can run for political office and team up with Miss California with limball as campaign mgr and dick darth vadar as communications director and mom sarah has lipstick pig handler!

May 15, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  21. S.M

Is she smarter than her mother?

May 15, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  22. Too True For You

Good for her. I remain critical of anything Palin, but this is a nice bit of good news – congratulations, Bristol. Don't stop here – keep going and educate yourself out of the morass of hidebound conservative ideology.

May 15, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  23. AJ

Why on earth does the press continue to give this family of just "wasted space" human beings coverage? This girl is nothing but white trash who in any other instance would be the object of scorn rather than adoration and her mother is one of those women you see with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths on the way to the jiffy mart for beer and a screaming child on her coffee stained bosom.
    What a sad state our nation is in when such people can rise to such heights.

May 15, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  24. Greg Smith, Clifton Heights PA

The hateful Press is at it again, Aren't you tired of making fools of yourself.

May 15, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  25. LOKEL

A high school graduate at 19 .... there's something for the GOP to be proud of.

May 15, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |