May 15th, 2009

PEOPLE: Bristol Palin graduates high school

Bristol Palin has graduated from high school.
Bristol Palin has graduated from high school.

Looking like a lot of her classmates – giddy and irreverent, wearing a silly necklace of Blow-Pop lollipops strung together with curly gift ribbon – Bristol Palin stepped toward the stage in Wasilla Sports Complex Thursday night to receive her high school diploma, more a worried mom than a jubilant teen.

"Where's my baby?" Bristol mouthed, searching the two front rows where her family sat until she finally spotted son Tripp near the backstage door, where Bristol's Aunt Heather was feeding the infant a bottle. With a wave to the little one she alternately calls "Handsome" and "My Guy," Bristol crossed the stage – and crossed "graduate high school" off her to-do list.

"I knew it would be hard work, but I knew I was going to do it," Bristol, 19, tells PEOPLE.

Full story from People Magazine

Filed under: Bristol Palin
  1. Kim

CNN, this is not NEWS. You are turning into a tabloid news site. Sad.

May 15, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. ray

who cares...don't we have enough problems?

May 15, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. Ecogirl

One question... WHO CARES???

May 15, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  4. mjm

The real news here is how people react to this story.

Some of you need to lighten up a bit.

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. Nancy - Houston

Good. She probably needed that diploma for her new job as Teen Rep for Total Abstinance. I can just hear her stump speech...."Okay, all my peers out there; don't do as I do; do as I say do."

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. hongli

Did she get a certificate for most sex and drugs consumed by an Alaskan student? Where was Trig ,her first son? And where was Kevin-- the black guy from LA who claims that he was the father of Tripp?

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. Mark

It is time for Bristol to be "let out" of the news. What's next? Her entrance into college and then hound all her friends in college, then her graduation from college, and then her first real job, and then her marriage, and then.... Enough with the microscope on this single teenager who decided to have baby. I do not see you all hounding single teens as they leave the abortion clinic. I am sure you can find other politician's whose daughter had an abortion that you can harass. Or better yet keep politics and political reporting at the politician level. PLEASE!

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. TM from CO

I am a democrat, but I know the difference between Sarah and Bristol. Those of you who are slamming this poor girl who got thrown into the spotlight by her Mother are very hate filled people who are part of the divisive problem in America. Way to go Bristol. I wish you and your son the best of luck

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  9. I laugh at Limbaugh daily

Good for her.Shes already smarter than her mom and will make a fine member of the World Wildlife Federation.I hope she can help save Alaskas People and wildlife.

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  10. Bubba

Horse Hockey?

May 15, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. brian

I just wish you hacks would leave this girl alone.

May 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. Chugiak Observer

One of my granddaughters didn't get pregnant and drop out, and is graduating in a few weeks. What CNN department do I send this info to, so she gets similar national exposure?

May 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. Dino

All the Palins are trash.

May 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. obamamama

Sniffit: Your hateful little blog-bites are getting old. Consider getting a job.

May 15, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. Mike

Non-story, nonetheless congratulations to Bristol. Hateful commenters need to fall back, Bristol didn't ask that she be covered. Regardless of how I feel politically about her mother, I wish her the best.

May 15, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  16. Lee, Mays Landing NJ

Question "How does someone as stupid as Sarah Palin get this far in politics?"

Answer – She's a Republican. - In their politics, being moronic is a virtue.

They can "identify" with her.

Look, they are promoted "Joe the fake Plumber" for goodness sakes!

And their last President, although sent to the best school by "daddy" was drunk, high and AWOL the first 40 years of his life. TRhe "base" identifies with all this dysfunction, just like they identify with the Palin trainwreck of a family.

May 15, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  17. Republicans are the American Taliban

Her body of work is yet to come!!

May 15, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  18. Grand Old Party

Great achievement (single mom while being a minor and graduation) by a conservative GOP. What a wonderful GOP role model!!!!!!
    Hopefully you can identify africa as a continent!!

May 15, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  19. shucks

Yeah, and so do thousands of other unwed mothers under much harsher familial conditions. The point is?

May 15, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  20. Anonymous

I'm not really concerned with the it must be a slow news day because I know the media loves to talk about the Palin family because people eat that stuff up. What I'm more concerned with is they are no longer talking about Levi interviews with Larry King, but rather paparazzi stories of stalking the girl at a high school graduation? Really, CNN? Really?

May 15, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  21. Rudy

Can we just leave this girl alone and move on... I mean... is there really NOTHING else newsworthy going on in the world that CNN can report on? It really is pathetic... no wonder your ratings suffer!

May 15, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. Richard L

Abstinence doesn't work. Abstinence does work.

Pick your favorite comment from Bristol.

May 15, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. kgeukes

I am so sick and tired of this child!!! A baby raising a baby!!!! But of course, I'm sure she's got a nanny for her baby. I don't care about this girl or her mother who is one of the biggest uneducated (college degree???) hypocrites that walks the face of this earth!!!!!! My 13 year old grandson is smarter than this child!!!!!!

May 15, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Sally

That's nice. It really is, but why not do news coverage on some of the thousands of teens that really struggled to make it to that graduation. Like the ones living in the Salvation Army shelter because their parents are homeless due to job loss. Or the ones that have a child already and didn't have relatively well off families to do the hard part for them.

There are many that are far more deserving of public accolades and praise for taking a less than ideal situation and working towards success anyway.

May 15, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Joshua

High school is not hard work. It's the absolutely minimum standard. Getting an undergraduate university degree and raising your child is also a minimum standard. Why do people insist on creating and celebrating a cesspool of mediocre expectations? Congratulations for not giving up so far…now get yourself on the path of doing something that is worth celebrating, and really make your family proud.

May 15, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |