May 15th, 2009

Prosecutor to question Karl Rove on Friday

Karl Rove, a former aide to President George W. Bush, will be interviewed about the firing of several U.S. attorneys in 2006, a source tells CNN.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Bush administration official Karl Rove is scheduled to be interviewed Friday about why a number of U.S. attorneys were fired in 2006, according to an attorney in private practice familiar with the
case.

Rove will be questioned by Nora Dannehy, a Connecticut prosecutor who was appointed last year to lead an investigation into whether any Bush administration officials broke any laws in connection with the dismissals.

A spokesman for Dannehy would not comment when asked whether a meeting is scheduled with Rove.

Rove's attorney, Robert Luskin, would not comment on whether his client will be interviewed Friday. But he told CNN, "Rove has said since Ms. Dannehy was appointed that he would cooperate fully with her investigation."

A Justice Department report last year found the firings of some U.S. attorneys were influenced by political considerations.

Filed under: Karl Rove • U.S. attorney firings
  1. RRR

The architect of Bush's failed 'New American Century' finally gets called to account about the Gonzalez purging of attorneys that refused to walk in lock step with the war-promoting anti-environment Bush administration. It will be interesting to see (5th amendment) what 'cooperating with her investigation' (5th amendment) means to Rove.

May 14, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  2. Bill ~ Down on the Bayou

I have no doubt that Karl Rove can handle anything this Danneyh woman or her assistants can throw at him. Like me, he was born at night but, not last night.
    when if ever will the democrars learn, they are no match.

May 14, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  3. JOE

Why is this fool not in an orange jump suit, hand cuffs, and leg irons..He is a war criminal...He should be in a federal prison cleaning toilets with his tooth brush..

May 14, 2009 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. Kate in SW Fla

Yeah! I hope they waterboard him. Maybe he will confess to the Sharon Tate murders too. hahahahahahahhahahaha

May 14, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. Neil

More coffin nails for the Republicans. Cheney couldn't bypass the DOJ like he did the FBI and CIA. Rove could make this really juicy if he gets the official OK from Rush.

May 14, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. alvino

Rove won't show up. He is above the law.

May 14, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. saftgek

Won't it be wonderful if the dots get connected j-u-s-t r-i-g-h-t and Karl Rove shares a cell with Messrs Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld?

I would throw a party – literally – for there would be no better reason to celebrate in current times.

Let us pray for the right outcome!

May 14, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. Buddy Gilmour

Rove (like Bush) has had the good sense to keep a low profile while many of his colleagues make fools of themselves in public. But its hard to believe he didn't seek to politicize the US attorneys, so I'm glad they are asking him questions. Should it turn out he broke the law I hope they will prosecute him and those he conspired with.

May 14, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  9. elana

The best that could ever happen would be to put Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, Michael Steele, Rush Limbaugh, John McCain, Sara Palin, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, and Mitch McConnell on one of the NASA space shuttles, and after putting the shuttle in orbit, eject ALL of the above into space and let them ALL live there, dodging space junk for years and years and years!!

May 14, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  10. shinden58

I think it only fitting that any Bush cabinet member or political appointee be subject to the same methods of torture that they proposed and carried out. Maybe then we can get to the truth of the matter. Can't they at least start with Cheney?

May 14, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  11. Sceptic

Wow, how odd. Politicians firing appointees for political reasons. Time to let this one go, it's a waste of money and time.

May 14, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. Veronica

Top Five List of Statements Made at Uncle KKKarl's interview:

I don't recall;

I don't remember;

I don't know;

I'll have to get back to you on that; and the number one statement will be ...

I plead the Fifth.

May 14, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  13. sandee in Portland

I sincerely hope he is the first of several to fall, with Cheney being second in line.

May 14, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. Gonzo in Houston

In the final days of the W administration, I confidently (and inaccurately) predicted that W would pass out a couple dozen pardons to his inner circle, including Rove, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Gonzalez. Interviews and investigations like this and the torture hearings were why. I thought that these pardons would be the last scandal of the W administration. Instead, his failing to award pardons will go down as his last big mistake.

May 14, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  15. SGJ

Brain .. of course there will be wateboarding .... since he thinks its NOT torture!

May 14, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  16. Veronica

Okay, I'll try posting again ... let's see if this pleases the CNN moderators ...

List of Karl "Turdblossom" Rove's Top Five Statements at his Interview:

I don't recall;

I don't remember;

I don't know;

I'll have to get back to you on that; and, the number one statement heard at Turdblossom's Interview is:

Under the advisement of counsel, and as Dave Chappelle would say "I plead the Fif."

May 14, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  17. SGJ

do I smell bacon?

May 14, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  18. farmer

Questioning Pigpen under oath is a waste of time. He won't remember or he will flat lie out. No one connected with that Administration over the long haul has any respect for any oath, other than to make each other richer than they have any right to be.

May 14, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  19. Anonymous

The 'architects' house is falling down.

May 14, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  20. ShiWms n Phx AZ

This is long over due! Lock him up and throw away the keys!

May 14, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  21. JLW in Ala.

Expect him to lie,lie,lie as he is accustomed to doing. I just he lies enough about the subject that he trips himself like Scooter Libby did and has to go to prison where he belongs.

May 14, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  22. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Don't be fooled by the Republicans aka Karl Rove, they are up to no good and Obama knows it. Democrats don't need to exchange comments in their radical behavior which is a leftover from the Bush era. Obama is smart to ignore them and so are we.

May 14, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  23. Rick Sutter

This ought to be fun. There's not a prosecutor in the country smarter than Rove. Good luck! And mark my words...no successful prosecution of any Bush administration official.

May 14, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. Longhorn7

Why is Karl Rove still in the Obama administration. Does anyone know? What does this man have on our new President?

May 14, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  25. HAWK, TEXAS

He either will be a no show, or he will lie under oath. there is no way you will ever get the truth out of bush's bunch. being that i am of native american decent let me question him.

May 14, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |